Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 1 Jun 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1316862)   #26
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent thoughts posted here.

I would think that ABC would certainly consider moving the Texas race, if plausible. Danica's on the SI cover this week. Wheldon was on the Budweiser Hot Seat on ESPN SportsCenter this morning and he's all over the print media in Europe. Texas is a place where the IRL has made its mark outside of Indy and it has an excellent promoter there that everyone can bet will hype the daylights out of it. Even Jeff Gordon has said publicly that, when he has time, he wouldn't miss a Texas IRL race on TV.

The thing Danica brought to the party at Indy was a fuse-lighter. It created a focus on the race so that it actually UPGRADED attention on other angles and aspects of the "500"....Penske pulling both drivers in the new qualifying format to go after the pole......Rahal NOT doing it with Danica.....Brack replacing Rice....all the drivers going to NYC during race week....the race itself was one of the best in memory. All those stories exploded higher to public consciousness after Danica Mania touched it off.

It ACTS like the IRL will try to maximize this as much as possible. I don't think NASCAR fans will just throw NASCAR away because of it, but it sure will trick up awareness. Incidentally, I've had the same experiences as Tim at both Kentucky and Nashville. You sit up in the stands with a bunch of NASCAR people and they all ask questions after saying, "Wow, your guys run FAST!" And they come back.

Wheldon answered on SportsCenter to the "Fact or Fiction" question if Danica would win a race this year, "Fact." Time will tell how many people will want to A) Be there, or B) Watch on TV if/when she does.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1316884)   #27
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
The thing Danica brought to the party at Indy was a fuse-lighter. It created a focus on the race so that it actually UPGRADED attention on other angles and aspects of the "500"....
I've posted many times on all the different things I thought the IRL and open wheel racing in general needed to get back into the American psyche, and never once did I come up with a female racer! I never would have thought that a Danica Patrick could do what she has for the Indy 500. I mean, we had Sarah Fisher - how must she be feeling these days! - and it didn't do much for rating's or interest. I guess Danica has that "look", and that appeal that Sarah just didn't have, and being on a top team with a real chance of winning certainly helped to.

Talking about ABC, I think they need another change in the booth. Todd Harris was in over his head for the 500. He was never a race commentator that I know of and it showed. His X-Games background didn't help him here, as he always sounded like he was trying to be to slick and "with it" in his comments and phrases, like "can Danica turn the trick!?" Huh? There was just to much going on, and he couldn't, or just didn't, keep up with it. In his defense, you have to have 3 guys for a big race like Indy. We need professional racing people, like Speed has. Varsha, Hobbs, and Matchett would be great!

Danica Patrick
Old 1 Jun 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1316891)   #28
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
I mean, we had Sarah Fisher - how must she be feeling these days! - and it didn't do much for rating's or interest. I guess Danica has that "look", and that appeal that Sarah just didn't have
It really was more to do with Danica being in a top race winning team, with probably the second-best chassi/engine combo in the series and in a team co-owned by a major player in the media who actively promotes the series.

I do agree that the media chatter as I called it needs to be at 100% for the next few weeks. The IRL and team sponsors + engine suppliers need to make it their #1 priority to get coverage across as many channels as possible, making direct links between the best elements of the 500:

- the thrill factor of the race;
- the Danica factor and how she performs for the rest of the season;
- whether the 500 victor can take the championship also.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1317445)   #29
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny how things change as the day progresses but apparently ABC has some contracts for Saturday night June 11th that would prevent them from changing the broadcast of the Texas race from ESPN
Old 2 Jun 2005, 02:09 (Ref:1317599)   #30
trow
Racer

United States
Indianapolis
trow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Owner
Funny how things change as the day progresses but apparently ABC has some contracts for Saturday night June 11th that would prevent them from changing the broadcast of the Texas race from ESPN
I love that part about it .... deals coming together at the midnight hour. The odd thing this time, it seems, is ABC is probably tripping over itself to get more of Danica on Prime Time slots whereas 30 days ago they were just in cruise mode. Someone better stop hittin the snooze button! lol
Old 2 Jun 2005, 03:28 (Ref:1317628)   #31
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The difference between Danica and Sarah is that Danica has been fast from the get-go. Yes, being with a good team has helped her but it helps the hype that she has taken the opportunity and run with it. Who doesn't love a story about an "underdog" who, when they get the chance seize the opportunity? It plays to what we Americans love: the unknown, the little guy, the stand in who comes in and exceeds expectations. We have to admit that a woman in the racing world, however talented, is viewed as an underdog.

Like I said before, TG needs to announce today that the 1st place $$ for the 2006 Indy 500 is $5 million with a $1 million bonus if the winner is a "regular" in the IRL. The next thing is to start promoting the living heck out of Dan, Danica, Michael et al for their Indy "firsts" and, oh yeah - promote the heck out of Danica!

I remember when Paul Newman was racing - people went in droves just to see him - they could have cared less about the racing - initially. some that came for no other reason became fans. If Danica's celebrity at the moment can get the new fan and recapture the casual fan who has moved on then so much the better. We have all sat here speculating on what it would take to get folks interested in open wheel, well here is the proverbial foot in the door to do just that.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1317929)   #32
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
NOTE:

The Indy Star published the final Nielsen Ratings from this past weekend

Indy 500 -- 7.1

Coca-Cola 600 -- 6.1

even though the NASCAR race was shown in Prime Time...

Pretty Good News!!!!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1317956)   #33
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How does a 7.1 compare with previous years? Really, being able to beat a NASCAR race with the 500 should be a foregone conclusion - getting back to that stage is a good sign, but the fact that it's surprising and noteworthy is a marker for the extent of OW's delcine/NASCAR's rise.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1317964)   #34
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
How does a 7.1 compare with previous years?
The 2004 Indianapolis 500 had a 4.1.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1317969)   #35
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, this is exactly the same conversation this year as last year...except that we've got really positive news. Could this be the start of the renaisance...
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1317982)   #36
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
How does a 7.1 compare with previous years? Really, being able to beat a NASCAR race with the 500 should be a foregone conclusion - getting back to that stage is a good sign, but the fact that it's surprising and noteworthy is a marker for the extent of OW's delcine/NASCAR's rise.
I've got to tell you, that even NASCAR fans seemed very impressed with the Indy 500 this year. For some that I know, this was there first, or they hadn't watched one in a long time. I think we may have grabbed a few NASCAR fans this time around, and getting there attention will be essential to growing IndyCar racing, because by far, most American race fans are NASCAR fans.

The fact that the Coca-Cola 600 had a ridiculously high 22 yellow flags really made the Indy 500 look good in comparison. Watching A NASCAR event is becoming an endurance test for fans!

Danica Patrick
Old 2 Jun 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1318022)   #37
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
I've got to tell you, that even NASCAR fans seemed very impressed with the Indy 500 this year. For some that I know, this was there first, or they hadn't watched one in a long time. I think we may have grabbed a few NASCAR fans this time around, and getting there attention will be essential to growing IndyCar racing, because by far, most American race fans are NASCAR fans.

The fact that the Coca-Cola 600 had a ridiculously high 22 yellow flags really made the Indy 500 look good in comparison. Watching A NASCAR event is becoming an endurance test for fans!
I seem to recall reading that the ratings for this years' Coca-Cola 600 was the best-ever for that race though, so I don't think NASCAR are too worried just yet...
Old 2 Jun 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1318108)   #38
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The key will be the viewing figures for the next few races relative to comparable events last season. The IRL must look to make substantial increases over the comparable 2004 viewing figures but should not be expecting to challenge future NASCAR events.

As you guys were all rightly pointing out in previous threads, we overlook the "Indy is NOT just another race" factor at our peril (and so does the IRL). The viewing figures and ensuring media attention was excellent and while I agree the Danica factor was a great catalyst, the simple fact is that it was the combination of intriguing sub-plots AT Indy that probably made such a huge difference.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 01:25 (Ref:1318614)   #39
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John SSC, jock25, good points.

But there's really no cause for comparison to NASCAR at this point, nor really at any point in the immediate future. There IS cause for saying the 7.1 is a big increase over last year and the magic of the Indianapolis 500 seemed to serve as a stage for the Danica factor, plus, as jock25 said, the Danica factor increased the visibility of the race's "subplots"....Penske pulling both drivers to shoot for the pole.....Rahal NOT doing it with Danica.....Brack replacing Rice......Giaffone coming out of the shopping mall to qualify....the race itself being one of the best in memory. All these things combined raised an awareness level of the "500" and the subplots gained interest because of the setting and what Danica was doing as the fuse-lighter in that setting.

A point to be made is that CCWS advocates, both executive and fandom, tried to piggyback the "500" with merger talk and confusion to try to tear it down as a negotiating point in the political arena and it failed miserably. That effort was smothered by Danica Mania and the subplots of Indy itself.

But the Coke 600 and Indianapolis 500 were not on at the same time. The Indianapolis 500 didn't last eight hours, as it did in 2004. Matter of fact, unlike 2004, it was a beautiful day in Indy, weather-wise. It isn't the point to be compared with NASCAR. The point is that it was a historic and memorable Indianapolis 500 for more people than it has been in several years.

I'd expect the viewing figures for the next few IRL races to be higher. I'd expect Texas to promote the bleep out of Danica and Wheldon both, and Richmond and so on down the line and attendance to increase. How WELL those are promoted remains to be seen, but the guys at Texas do a good job anyway, so I think that can be counted on there.

But if anyone thinks the point for the weekend is "hey, we beat NASCAR in TV ratings," that's off-target. The magic of the "500," the Danica factor, the sub-plots and a good race are the points.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 03:51 (Ref:1318642)   #40
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool

A point to be made is that CCWS advocates, both executive and fandom, tried to piggyback the "500" with merger talk and confusion to try to tear it down as a negotiating point in the political arena and it failed miserably. That effort was smothered by Danica Mania and the subplots of Indy itself.
Wasn't alot of the unification talk, fuelled by Honda and TG himself.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 05:24 (Ref:1318657)   #41
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Wasn't alot of the unification talk, fuelled by Honda and TG himself.

No...it was raised by Robin Miller and the other shills that are on the OWRS payroll...

Sure...Tony, Honda and everyone else would love to have one open-wheel series....

But who runs it, how they getthere, and other issues will guide that...

so many people are so blinded on both sides by their own views of this situation that at times I can't help but laugh....

Personally, I think that Texas will get a great boost in Tickets...and it already IS a veery successful race on the schedule...Mr. Gossage knows how to sell seats in his grandstands, and you can bet he is milking "Danica Mania" for all it is worth down there....

Texas will see a much bigger crowd than the 90,000 plus that have been there in recent years....

and I hope the "curious" do turn ESPN on to watch on June 11th....because if they thought they saw great racing last Sunday at Indy, they ain't seen nothing 'til they see the IRL at Texas!!!!!

Old 3 Jun 2005, 06:41 (Ref:1318677)   #42
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
No...it was raised by Robin Miller and the other shills that are on the OWRS payroll...
What about the articles that included quotes from Honda management that they felt Open Wheel racing needed unification and they were going to try their best from their position to achieve that goal.

Also didn't TG say "each day it becomes more clear that unification is needed"

To me this is fuelling debate and the possibility of unification happening
Old 3 Jun 2005, 08:26 (Ref:1318737)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Over here in Britain the Indy 500 was back on the front cover of Autosport. Although this green cover was caused by a British winner and might not happen every year it was still good to see.

America is the key market for the race, but worldwide interest can only help.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1318880)   #44
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
What about the articles that included quotes from Honda management that they felt Open Wheel racing needed unification and they were going to try their best from their position to achieve that goal.

Also didn't TG say "each day it becomes more clear that unification is needed"

To me this is fuelling debate and the possibility of unification happening

They were asked questions about possible talks, etc., unification, etc.

But that was after one of Robin Miller's reports stated that TG and the guy who is in charge of OWRS day-to-day operations (Eiswick) had talked in Indianapolis...

Sure TG and Honda both would like one series...

OWRS would like one Series

The teams, drivers and sponsors all would like to have one Series....

The fans (for the most part) would like one Series...

But not without terms that I believe will be difficult at best to resolve.

Especially "Who will be in Charge?"

Old 3 Jun 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1318891)   #45
indycool
Veteran

Yes, D.R.T., those things happened. Honda's initiative was independent. TG's statement was a single sentence and happened a long time after Eidswick and Kalkhoven talked their way into meetings with TG in April, then told it back Miller to fuel speculation publicly in an effort to apply pressure and make themselves look like good guys. It was the annual May thing about unification, not a new strategy. They just worked it through their "Gang of Four" shill to the public about something that couldn't possibly happen in a short time -- Mario's suggestion about joint specs.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1318930)   #46
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Dont we have a dedicated thread for unification stuff.

seems to me thats where it belongs
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1318964)   #47
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
Dont we have a dedicated thread for unification stuff.

seems to me thats where it belongs

With the greatest respect, and without challenging your decision in any way - it's not really possible to discuss the question "Will the IRL now gain some momentum" without exploring whether that could mean a single series.

I think that is a distinct and separate idea to the thread about actual efforts to reunite the series.

Old 3 Jun 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1319463)   #48
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DRT, this blurb from Dick Eidswick reported by Damian Dottore in the Orange County Register pretty much sums it up.

Quote:
MERGER TALKS

Don't expect the IRL and Champ Car World Series to come together any time soon and create one open-wheel series, something motor sports desperately needs.

Dick Eidswick, the present of the Champ Car World Series, said the two sides have been talking recently but still are far apart on certain core issues. For example, the Champ Car World Series wants to continue to hold more races outside the United States. The IRL doesn't.

He doesn't see any chance of finding common ground in the near future.

"Yes, we have our differences," Eidswick said, "But we still have a willingness to talk to see if we can reach the position where we can find some sort of a solution."
Old 3 Jun 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1319494)   #49
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
the Champ Car World Series wants to continue to hold more races outside the United States. The IRL doesn't.

This is the most important of many philisophical differences between these two series, and it's why there will not be one series anytime soon. I hope TG never gives in on his stand to keep American open wheel racing in America

I simply cannot for the life of me figure out why any American racing fan would get so excited over races in China, and South Korea, and god knows where else KK want's to take them. Make no mistake about it, besides LB, KK is hell bent on taking CC out of the States, and why not, he's an Aussie, and he wants to take CC to the Pacific Rim, where a 4 race swing could keep them away from there "home" base for about 12 weeks, and put them on TV at about 3AM in America, which will surely complete there demise and invisibilty to US race fans. Yeah, good plan! Can't understand why TG doesn't get it.

I've got faith in TG. He knows his audience, and knows the potential here. KK has no idea. Enjoy China!

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Jun 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1319523)   #50
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgw2
the Champ Car World Series wants to continue to hold more races outside the United States. The IRL doesn't.
As I posted in the Champ Car section, that is exactly why Mario Andretti's idea would be ideal, and just a handful of common races would increase the attention a lot.

Why be happy with 19 cars at Long Beach when you can have closer to 30? Why be happy with 34 cars trying to qualify at Indy when you can have a lot more?