Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1369100)   #1
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
What would you do if your car caught fire?

Put more petrol in it of course!

I couldn't believe my eyes, flames licking around the fuel nozzle area and the refueling team carries on as if everything is normal . Thankfully there was not a huge explosion, or pit lane fire.

Quote from Sauber's official website:
Willy Rampf (Technical Director): "We suffered spark coil problems on both cars this afternoon, Felipe and Jacques each losing power and experiencing small underbonnet fires during their pit stops when there was no airflow over the cars. The temperatures beneath the engine covers were very high. In Felipe's case we changed the coils and he resumed the race after a delay; in Jacques' we think that the fire damaged other components and led to his subsequent retirement. We will check the data to determine the cause when we get back to Hinwil and to find a solution for the next race in Istanbul, which will be even hotter."

Barking mad.

Old 1 Aug 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1369136)   #2
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's the best way to put out a fire: refuel.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1369145)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I did think at the time the fuel man was a stark raving idiot
Old 1 Aug 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1369190)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can douse fuel with liquid petrol...

only fuel in vapour form can ignite.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1369210)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Presumably vapour comes from liquid petrol...
Old 1 Aug 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1369212)   #6
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the vapour forms when the liquid heats up and changes state, so presumably when liquid petrol was sent in,it cooled down the rest and prevented it from changing state.

Last edited by Kidzer; 1 Aug 2005 at 14:23. Reason: Bad spelling
Old 1 Aug 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1369215)   #7
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was kinda shocked when is saw he was still trying to refuel .

Ciao Marco
Old 1 Aug 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1369269)   #8
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzer
the vapour forms when the liquid heats up and changes state, so presumably when liquid petrol was sent in,it cooled down the rest and prevented it from changing state.
Interesting. I will try that tonight and let you know.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1369277)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If we don't hear from Louis B. again, we'll know what happened.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1369292)   #10
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
KB:

Is this wishful thinking or do you really care about me...
Old 1 Aug 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1369296)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Old 1 Aug 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1369311)   #12
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oooooooooooooooooooo!!! we'd better watch these two folks
Old 1 Aug 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1369320)   #13
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Righto, good luck Louis B.

Im not sure if it would work with fuel being pumped at pump pressure - but F1 Pumps are high pressure so it could also have the effect of almost 'blowing' out the fire
Old 1 Aug 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1369349)   #14
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't have thought refuelling was the most sensible thing to do but I can't imagine it was too dangerous...

The fire was on components under the bodywork, not internal to the engine and definitely not in the fuel tank. The refuelling hose is clamped tightly shut to the fuel tank inlet it must be so due to the pressure involved (else it would spray fuel all over the place every time they fuelled). There can't have been any way for fuel, liquid or vapour, to get to the flames and ignite under normal circumstances.

The recent pitstop fuel fires (Austria 2003 comes to mind) have been due to the fuel hose not sealing correctly and fuel from there igniting on the exhausts. The presence of a flame in a similar area presents no further risk than hot exhausts. If the engineers were confident there was no problem with the fuel rig then there was no more significant risk of a fire than under any other refuelling situation.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1369356)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The risk was obviously controlled, although I must admit to being startled at first.

I guess they knew what they were doing. Either they were sure nothing would go wrong or they wanted to incinerate Jacques, one or the other.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1369386)   #16
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Knowlesy:

Yawn (it was Felipe)
Old 1 Aug 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1369387)   #17
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you'll find the FIA refuelling rig nossle only transfers fuel under pressure when the coupling is complete...and should lock shut instantly it disengages.

Engine fires always remind me of my race mechanicing days (1975) push starting our V8 Touring car in the Silverstone paddock...marshalls stopped pushing as they saw (through the rear window) flames under the bonnet...I yelled "Keeping pushing!"...they obeyed and the four downdraught Webbers sucked all the fire in...and away it went...leaving two black lines and several marshalls rolling head over heels in it's wake...Hahahaha You've gotta be 'Mad' to be involved in Motor Racing to start with!
Old 1 Aug 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1369388)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought both cars were on fire? My mistake....

Sorry.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1369392)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
...I yelled "Keeping pushing!"
Did you always talk to people in the past tense rennen?
Old 1 Aug 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1369457)   #20
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well it was a long time ago...I guess it must have been "keep pushing!"...sorry teacher!
Old 1 Aug 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1369470)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Controlled risk? "If the car blows up the fire will be contained to us?" I thought it was nuts. If I were Massa I would have gotten out of the car. Rennen is pretty nuts too.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1369475)   #22
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
You can douse fuel with liquid petrol...
only fuel in vapour form can ignite.
Just in case anyone is tempted to test Sam's theory - DON'T
Old 1 Aug 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1369497)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I thought both cars were on fire? My mistake....
This is from Sauber's post race press release:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Rampf
We suffered spark coil problems on both cars this afternoon, Felipe and Jacques each losing power and experiencing small underbonnet fires during their pit stops when there was no airflow over the cars. The temperatures beneath the engine covers were very high. In Felipe's case we changed the coils and he resumed the race after a delay; in Jacques' we think that the fire damaged other components and led to his subsequent retirement.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1369543)   #24
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
This is from Sauber's post race press release:
It doesn't mean that they also put the fuel rig in the flaming fuel inlet as they did with Massa. BTW, I would like to hear your thoughts, as car racing driver, on the incident. Personally, I think it was either out of reflex or quite irresponsible for the fuel man to put the fuel rig in despite the flammes.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1369569)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Your right it doesn't say that. I thought that it would show the possible source of the confusion.

My thoughts? Well I must admit I haven't had that many on it as I don't know all the facts. I've not watched the full race yet and only just started reading about it! Anyway, seeing as you have asked, I'll have a ponder as I write this post.

Partly it depends on the construction of the nozzle and exactly how it works. Rennen has mentioned this and I suspect it is quite isolated from the outside world until the nozzle is engaged. It could be known that under the situation Sauber had in Hungary that it was safe?

I do respect all for wanting to race on. It is a good attitude to have, but as has been said a potentially risky one. However for the racers spirit I can't fault them.

We take risks all the time, some are more risky than others. At that moment they assessed it was worth the risk. Now I understand that the immediate argument against that is "Worth the risk? they could have been burnt to a crisp"! Well, yes, but the key to worth the risk isn't only the potential outcome, but also the likelihood. Take crossing the road - the potential disaster is death, but that doesn't mean that the risk to cross the road to get to the chemists isn't worth it! They are experienced and knowledgeable and, presumably, at the time considered it to be a low risk choice to go for it.

I will assume that they made a judgement call based on what they know, albeit quickly. On that basis I will applaud them for not wussing out just because of a little bit of a flame However maybe I'll find something out that convinces me that they all had a death wish.