Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 18 Jan 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1503861)   #1
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
North West Marshal's Training

Hi Guys, and Happy New Year;

As you may know, the North West marshal’s annual training will take place at Oulton Park over the weekend of 4 & 5 February.

It’s probably fair to say that the relationship between the NW marshals and drivers in the NWFF series is particularly good; barbeques and beers at Anglesey are just one example.

Therefore would any of you guys be willing to help me out with the training? On Saturday 4th, I am holding a drivers & marshals forum, in which I plan to 'talk' ourselves round the circuit with photos taken from the circuit beside each flag point. We can therefore discuss exactly how visible (or not) the flag points are for you guys, and where you might be looking at each piece of circuit. I would anticipate that the forum might then discuss other relevant (or irrelevant) issues.

On Sunday 5th, I am looking for a couple of race cars, ideally with drivers, so that marshals can be shown around the cars in detail, paying particular attention to the safety features (electrical cut off, fire extinguisher, ignition switch, harness release etc, etc).

I’ve got some volunteers already, but the more the merrier as far as I am concerned. If you are interested in assisting on either day, please could you PM me or drop me a line on: bmmcnorthtrng@tesco.net.

Thanks very much in advance…
Old 18 Jan 2006, 23:04 (Ref:1504095)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Andy, If I may I'd like to offer a suggestion.

Anyone who's ever marshalled at Castle Combe will have noticed that each Marshals post has a diagram of an "Effective flagging area"

It was designed, I believe in conjunction with the drivers who race there, and each diagram relates to a particular area of the circuit and shows a shaded area in which drivers have said they are more likely to see the flag signals.

Could we not do something similar at OP - it would be a useful tool for trainee flaggies!
Old 19 Jan 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1504670)   #3
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello both, I don't know if you remember but a few years ago Ian Walker did an excellent talk on drivers eye lines for flag marshals - never forgotten it so I'm sure we could resurrect and achieve what Mark's suggesting. I'd be happy to help on this.

Andy, I'm still not able to email you - mine bounce back as well! I'll pm you.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1505066)   #4
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
heel'n'toe-no has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hi all,

As Andy already knows, I've agreed to take my car up to Oulton for the Sunday of that weekend to help out.

I've not raced much at Oulton and think that flag posts are best discussed with the more seasoned campaigners such as MikeM. My only comment on the flags that I have seen at oulton, particularily late in the year as the leaves change colours is that the Yellow flags are all too easily missed in the foleage (I don't know how it is spelt). From our very low driving position the flags have the trees as a backdrop. Does anyone else find this a problem particularily from Knickerbrook round to start/finish?
Old 20 Jan 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1505074)   #5
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee you will be able to explain why you named your team what you did!!!!

I always find flags at OP hard to see as there is so much going on with the track. other than coming down to knickerbrook you are always positioning your car or turning at moist points on the circuit. I also get ****ed off with marshals that wear yellow jackets as I always think that they look like flags behind the wheel.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1505082)   #6
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
lol
Old 20 Jan 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1505143)   #7
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77
I also get ****ed off with marshals that wear yellow jackets as I always think that they look like flags behind the wheel.
I don't think that those people are marshals RR, they (should) know not to wear yellow.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1505170)   #8
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest, when you get somewhere like Druids and Lodge with tree cover, a lighting system like they have at Silverstone would be ideal. I'm sure it could be installed at minimum cost and would prove so much more effective.

I have to say, I haven't had any trouble seeing the flags. Maybe you need your eyes checking Chris.

While on the subject of Marshal's training days, how are you doing for Marshals this year? I know there was some concern over lack of numbers last year, but nothing has been said about it this year.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1505179)   #9
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
Whilst on the subject of marshall's, I remember reading somewhere that last years blue books would be of use to them. Is this still the case and to whom do we give them to?
Old 20 Jan 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1505187)   #10
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by heel'n'toe-no
Whilst on the subject of marshall's, I remember reading somewhere that last years blue books would be of use to them. Is this still the case and to whom do we give them to?

Pass it to Diz when you see him mate.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1505361)   #11
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee, bring your blue book to the training day and give it to Jan Gower or let me have it and I'll sort it out - thanks. All driver opinions are valid for training so experience doesn't matter too much - any comment can be interesting and worthwhile.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 17:19 (Ref:1505382)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77
I also get ****ed off with marshals that wear yellow jackets as I always think that they look like flags behind the wheel.
Marshals don't wear yellow jackets!
Those rescue types think they look good in them and do sometimes stand in silly places (Like at Island - near to the flag point) but if they take off the silly jackets, they are wearing red overalls!!
Old 20 Jan 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1505435)   #13
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
[QUOTE=but if they take off the silly jackets, they are wearing red overalls!![/QUOTE]

It goes from bad to worse

Surely there are enough colours in the world to have them wear something that DOESN'T clash with the flags? ......perhaps a nice lilac or mauve

But seriously, this sort of thing could cause chaos if the wrong set of circumstances were to present themselves........especially on a corner like Druids........Sheeesh....Don't bear thinking about.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1505436)   #14
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM
Lee, bring your blue book to the training day and give it to Jan Gower or let me have it and I'll sort it out - thanks. All driver opinions are valid for training so experience doesn't matter too much - any comment can be interesting and worthwhile.
Does anybody else still have last years blue book? If so I will be happy to accept any in the post together with the name of the sender so that I can pass them on at the marshalls training weekend........you never know, it might even be worth a blue flag or two this season (Not implying that marshalls can be bribed....of course not .....

PM me for my home address and I will send it to you by return....Thanks.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1505440)   #15
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone trackside wearing a colour that clashes with a flag should be asked by a marshal to leave their position or cover up. I've seen this happen a few times before, as I am often trackside myself.

Perhaps boards should be erected behind certain flagpoints to provide a better backdrop to the flags?
Old 20 Jan 2006, 19:56 (Ref:1505489)   #16
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Perhaps boards should be erected behind certain flagpoints to provide a better backdrop to the flags?

Exactly - wouldn't cost the earth would it?

It does make me wonder though, when drivers get confused by an 18 stone rescue person wearing a yellow jacket and the yellow flag. (Unless of course you're racing at Donington where the yellow flag really is that big!)