Old 5 Jun 2007, 17:04 (Ref:1929528)   #51
Rick Mears fan
Rookie

United States
USA
Rick Mears fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Briscoe1
this john bloke has a huge chip on his shoulder. haha he is off his head. If we dare attack Danica's driving ability or post race actions then we are automatically sexist. Maybe this guy is just after a root?
Indeed we are all sexist according to 'John'.

I have heard it all now.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 17:10 (Ref:1929531)   #52
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
The wider angle shot about 1:20 in reinforces my belief that Dan just held his line and Danica was overly ambotious going into the turn.
That's exactly what I just said. It's just a racing incident, everyone's agreeing.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 17:40 (Ref:1929548)   #53
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
At least one of you was highly critical of one AJ Foyt for losing his temper, but it is of course A-OK for Dan to lose his
Huh?? John -- This part of your post is innacurate. It wasn't Dan who lost his temper here, it was Danica who lost it and went after Wheldon -- I was critical of AJ for losing it and Danica for losing it - so you see, I have no double standard.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 17:50 (Ref:1929560)   #54
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Well, look at the drivers with similar records that those who find fault with Patrick DON'T pick on.

Meira has seven second-place finishes and hasn't won but has led races and is constantly toward the front. Fisher ran up front when she was younger, got a pole. Scheckter hasn't won in awhile, used to crash a lot and doesn't any more, but can't be ignored. Briscoe is lightning fast but crashes a lot.

As for words, Tracy has had 'em for people. So has Foyt. So has Stewart. So has Bourdais. So has Cheever. And that's before you get to the NASCAR list.

IMO, this was no different than any other fuss between race drivers. But it's sure getting a lot of attention for Texas Saturday night.
I seem to recall those incidents of physical attacks garnered the same attention.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 21:41 (Ref:1929709)   #55
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, moving away from the wider geo-political discussions, let's go back to the actual incident.

Quote:
New video footage here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB5dLpunf8M

The wider angle shot about 1:20 in reinforces my belief that Dan just held his line and Danica was overly ambotious going into the turn. The audio from Danica to Kim Green (I think?) is also pretty telling.
There's a car ahead of the melee (green and white car) that takes a higher line than Wheldon through that corner (without even a car beneath them). Watch the race, there were plenty of cars taking a higher line through that corner when they had cars underneath them. Wheldon could have held a higher line. Wheldon takes a wide entry into the corner and cuts down towards the bottom... changing his line. Would have been alright if he didn't have a car inside him... He knew she was there as well because she was right alongside him, with track position, just before corner entry. He seemed to expect her to have suddenly disappeared - or that he could enter the corner quick enough on the high line to clear her. He made a mistake.

I think the only reason the hit came so far to the back of Wheldon's car is that Danica looks to slow suddenly taking evasive action when she see him coming down on her... if she hadn't done that they'd have both ended in the wall.

Hey, a 4 page thread on the IRL board. Fantastic!

Last edited by deejay; 5 Jun 2007 at 21:48.
Old 5 Jun 2007, 21:45 (Ref:1929713)   #56
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
Also. ZOMG, Wheldon's won a race or two, he can do no wrong ever again!

(tell that to the Schumacher detractors)
Old 5 Jun 2007, 21:54 (Ref:1929720)   #57
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Look how shifty Dan is in the interview. Hesitant. Can't even make eye-contact. Not like him at ALL. He knew he was in the wrong.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 00:43 (Ref:1929815)   #58
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
good comments John, a racer is a racer and she reacted like hundreds before her...no different, no big deal.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 07:23 (Ref:1929959)   #59
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, but it's happening too often with Danica, just as it does with Tracy. Quote from Danica on the IRL website:
Quote:
"I said, 'I was clearly inside of you,' because I heard him saying in an interview that I wasn't all the way up alongside of him. So I'm not sure what is lost in translation there, but I was completely alongside of him. I've made many more passes happen with being less far up on someone.
She was on the straight before, but she took a tighter line in to the turn, so had to be slower in than Dan, hence dropping back just before they made contact. I still think nothing more than a racing incident. Dan could have given a little more room, Danica could have been a touch slower in. She was after all trying to do 2 cars in one move.

I just think for such a minor incident she need not have made her frustration so public. She's using the media - fair enough, but one day it'll bite back. It always does
Old 6 Jun 2007, 15:24 (Ref:1930378)   #60
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've already made my feelings on the subject known elsewhere.

All I'll say here is that it is interesting to compare and contrast reactions after the event with two recent crashes.

Firstly, the lack of any aftermath following Marco taking out a fair proportion of the Indy 500 field by driving into Dan.

....compared to the frankly excessive aftermath after Dan may or may not have driven into Danica.

I will however agree with JohnSSC about one thing. I like the fact Danica cares - too often these days you get an anodyne reaction from the driver, yet the opposite reaction is reviled. I won't condone violence (however slappy and girly) but she does at least care. That said it probably does her no favours much like it didn't when her idol Mr Wheldon went off on one after a race a couple of years back when his team fouled something up - he made himself look stroppy - much like Danica did here.

Personality is to be applauded - doing something in public just for the dramatic effect of it is not - i'll leave it to you to decide for yourselves which this was.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:23 (Ref:1930565)   #61
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
She had momentum, but in the final look at it, her right front tire hit his left rear....thus she was not along side him in the corner and he was in the groove and the racing line.

Barnhart saw it the same way and neither Wheldon (for the contact) nor Danica (from the confrontation) were penalized.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:30 (Ref:1930576)   #62
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
She had momentum, but in the final look at it, her right front tire hit his left rear....thus she was not along side him in the corner and he was in the groove and the racing line.

Barnhart saw it the same way and neither Wheldon (for the contact) nor Danica (from the confrontation) were penalized.
Thats the way I see it too! She was just being a silly little kid for throwing her toys out of the pram! It has happened with other drivers.

Remember when DC moved over to let MS through at Spa? Michael was out for blood that day anyway!
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:39 (Ref:1930583)   #63
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danica is a media savvy individual. Not only was she on the evening news for the confrontation, they also showed her saving her car. IRL needs all the press they can get. Go Danica.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:45 (Ref:1930590)   #64
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a shame that controversies in both the IRL and CCWS right now may detract from the fact that both are racing this weekend...

I covered this topic in my column this week...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Jun 2007, 20:48 (Ref:1930620)   #65
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It was certainly only a racing incident. I can totally understand why Danica got ****ed off about it, but that does not make it intentional on anyone's part.

Regarding the post-race stuff, well, these things happen. I can most certainly live without it, and I think it is counter-productive for everyone involved, but I can't say it actively bothers me.

It bothers me if people complain when they get treated the way they treat other people. In the context of Danica, as long as she doesn't complain if she gets a physical response to one of her physical approaches, then I will fail to be particularly bothered by any of this stuff.

Last edited by Dutton; 6 Jun 2007 at 20:51.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 21:04 (Ref:1930632)   #66
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/column...ohn&id=2894096

And Gossage at Texas has been quick to pick up on it and promote it for his race down there and use the situation to the advantage of his facility.....smart dude.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1930649)   #67
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Sure. Sensationalist stuff gets attention, therefor it works nicely for promotional purposes.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 17:50 (Ref:1931417)   #68
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
It's a shame that controversies in both the IRL and CCWS right now may detract from the fact that both are racing this weekend...

I covered this topic in my column this week...
Here's how you get to Tim's (at least weekly) column.

(The Title tells the story, doesn't it?)
Old 7 Jun 2007, 21:38 (Ref:1931734)   #69
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
I tuned into Pardon the Interuption last night and there were TWO seperate segments on this incident... and they were really enthused about it.

Say what you will but this is great publicity for the series.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 22:57 (Ref:1931792)   #70
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
I assure you I'm not naiive. But I can tell you that the lead changes on every lap in the IRL because all they have to do is turn left slightly on full throttle, slipstreaming is easy. Would you call Michael Schumacher naiive? Because he says he can't understand where the challenge lies if you race on ovals. Now lets not get into this pointless argument as it will become an enormous thread. Back to Danica!
It is always good to wake up and log-on to Ten-Tenths for a good laugh.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 00:07 (Ref:1931816)   #71
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

A BIG laugh. Guess Indy brings out the easy-oval crowd.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 00:19 (Ref:1931822)   #72
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez
It is always good to wake up and log-on to Ten-Tenths for a good laugh.
Yeah, read the sentence after the one you highlighted, guess you're laughing at Schumacher then.

I guess this will be deleted by the mods, but I want to point something out which i genuinely think is a valid point. On the first page of threads of the IRL on this forum, there has been 5 threads with over 1,000 views. 3 of the threads are 'Danica has lost the plot'---'is Danica Patrick that attractive'---'Milko Duno to run 10 races'. How much interesting news does the IRL have? If the mods delete this paragraph, enough said.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 00:46 (Ref:1931828)   #73
indycool
Veteran

Yeah, laughing at Schumacher, talking down ovals and the "500." Graham Hill, Jimmy Clark, Emerson Fittipaldi, Nigel Mansell -- none of them did. Maybe he's a buddy of Mark C's.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 00:59 (Ref:1931831)   #74
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Good job Schuey has more F1 titles than all of them put together them isn't it? Wish I hadn't got into this debate now. I don't dislike the IRL, but I think my points are vaild.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 02:42 (Ref:1931857)   #75
indycool
Veteran

I disagree. If you like Schumacher's take, your privilege. Myself, Montoya impresses me. He won a "500." He won a CART championship (when that was more significant). He impressed in F1. He is trying to learn NASCAR. And he wasn't afraid to compete in Tony Stewart's dirt-track charity race at Eldora the other day and said it was hard to learn.

Schumacher ran off in his Ferrari for "X" years without much competition and never tried anything else. Maybe he got too rich, maybe his deal was too good, maybe he was a wuss for other stuff, I don't know. But just because Schumacher puts oval racing down doesn't make it so. Many NASCAR, IRL, "500" fans plus fans at any of the 800 U.S. short tracks would disagree.

So it goes with somebody who puts down another form of racing.