Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Apr 2021, 15:57 (Ref:4044846)   #1751
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Whenever I transport my racecar I always check the tracking before racing. The tie downs can affect the steering.
So true! And especially with a Capri having a rather fragile steering rack. After some disappointments I now tie the straps on the engine lower cross member.
Old 6 Apr 2021, 16:25 (Ref:4044849)   #1752
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Iain how come that you have posted the pictures that way round ? And Roy James mate Gordon Goody lived just up the road to us in Spain for years until he died.
When are you testing at Brands ?
Funny you should ask Gordon. I am testing this Friday at Brands. I can put you on my mechanics list if your allowed out.
Old 6 Apr 2021, 16:51 (Ref:4044851)   #1753
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Testing at Oulton on Friday, before our race there on Saturday. Don't normally do testing as its not cheap, but its so long since we had the Alfa out we need to knock the rust off ourselves!
Old 6 Apr 2021, 17:13 (Ref:4044853)   #1754
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
but its so long since we had the Alfa out we need to knock the rust off ourselves!

Not to mention what's on the chariot!
Old 6 Apr 2021, 17:16 (Ref:4044854)   #1755
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Testing at Oulton on Friday, before our race there on Saturday. Don't normally do testing as its not cheap, but its so long since we had the Alfa out we need to knock the rust off ourselves!
Good luck in upholding Alfa's honour!

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 6 Apr 2021 at 17:28.
Old 6 Apr 2021, 17:18 (Ref:4044855)   #1756
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’m sure Alfa’s honour is beyond doubt
Old 6 Apr 2021, 17:29 (Ref:4044856)   #1757
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Don't normally do testing as its not cheap, but its so long since we had the Alfa out we need to knock the rust off ourselves!
I dont know if its the same for you but when I've been driving too many miles and too long on the road, taking care of my passengers and other users, the first thing I notice on the track is I've lost all the abilities to brake hard and late. I call that driving like a tourist towing a caravan!
Old 6 Apr 2021, 17:36 (Ref:4044857)   #1758
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I dont know if its the same for you but when I've been driving too many miles and too long on the road, taking care of my passengers and other users, the first thing I notice on the track is I've lost all the abilities to brake hard and late. I call that driving like a tourist towing a caravan!
Ah, it's you I keep getting stuck behind!
Old 6 Apr 2021, 20:47 (Ref:4044880)   #1759
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Funny you should ask Gordon. I am testing this Friday at Brands. I can put you on my mechanics list if your allowed out.
Ok mate, I'll try and get some house points of off Sue Presumably it's in the morning ? I'll bring a spare coil
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Apr 2021, 21:16 (Ref:4044881)   #1760
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I'll let you know

I do remember the first time I went out on a circuit, it really struck me that I'd no real idea how I knew where and how hard to brake, or how fast I could take a corner.......and of course 13 years later I'm still learning

At least I know we're on for a 3rd in class...as there are only two 944s also in the class Full grid in our race, though, with about 8 reserves......
Old 6 Apr 2021, 21:40 (Ref:4044882)   #1761
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear that David Sutton (ex Ford and Audi rally team boss) has passed away today - a great loss to rallying.
Very sad. My quattro had its first service in my ownership at his place in Daventry approx 23 years ago. I was privileged to be shown around his museum by a member of his team whilst I waited - probably about 20 ex works or similar rally cars including about 6/7 rally quattros.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 06:11 (Ref:4044893)   #1762
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
I'll let you know
To brake late you must wonder if you jump on the pedal:
1:when the 150 sign is far away; 2:when its at the level of a front wing; 3: when its at the level of a door; 4: what 150 sign?
Or you can test the famous south Italian method (recommended with an Alfa) also called Avé Maria Braking! You go beyond the 150 sign flat out, count ten and… re-open your eyes!
Have fun and keep far away from any disease. Buuuuuut always bear in mind that there is more to gain with the brake pedal than with the throttle one!!!
Old 7 Apr 2021, 06:22 (Ref:4044894)   #1763
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
To brake late you must wonder if you jump on the pedal:
1:when the 150 sign is far away; 2:when its at the level of a front wing; 3: when its at the level of a door; 4: what 150 sign?
Or you can test the famous south Italian method (recommended with an Alfa) also called Avé Maria Braking! You go beyond the 150 sign flat out, count ten and… re-open your eyes!
Have fun and keep far away from any disease. Buuuuuut always bear in mind that there is more to gain with the brake pedal than with the throttle one!!!
There was a story many years ago of a driver at Snetterton using a cow in a field as his marker for braking for the old Hairpin.

What he overlooked was that the cow was slowly moving towards the Hairpin as it munched the grass, so his braking got later & later...
Old 7 Apr 2021, 07:15 (Ref:4044896)   #1764
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Dont tell me about this, John! I was around 16 when I did my first bike race. I had no experience then took a marshal as a marker to brake for the second chicane. And learned on the hard way that a marshal can walk… actually!
Old 7 Apr 2021, 08:09 (Ref:4044898)   #1765
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Richard what is your 75, a turbocharged or a V6? I guess the suspensions are close to what was found on Alfetta's, I raced one but never found big torsion bars. I remember a very well balanced chassis.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 08:52 (Ref:4044909)   #1766
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
EB, do you know this museum? Looks nice. http://capripowermeetingpics.weebly....on-feb-21.html I know you're far away form North Tasmania…
Old 7 Apr 2021, 09:42 (Ref:4044918)   #1767
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Richard what is your 75, a turbocharged or a V6? I guess the suspensions are close to what was found on Alfetta's, I raced one but never found big torsion bars. I remember a very well balanced chassis.

Its a 3.0 V6, Gerard - very standard mechanically as we don't have big pockets One of the things we are hoping to test on Friday is whether my friend's tweaking of the front suspension settings makes any difference - but its so long since we drove it I doubt if we'll remember Generally well balanced, though -one of the reasons I quite like wet races - the car's poise makes it easier to control than the more powerful 944s in our class - although as we used to race a 944 Turbo I know they were pretty good

With regard to moving braking points, I have a friend (a TVR racer) who used to judge his braking for the end of the Bentley straight at Snetterton in relation to the bridge......and when they moved the bridge nearer to the corner he missed the announcement in the regs about that - and consequently completely missed the left turn, having braked at his "usual" point
Old 7 Apr 2021, 10:09 (Ref:4044925)   #1768
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:

With regard to moving braking points, I have a friend (a TVR racer) who used to judge his braking for the end of the Bentley straight at Snetterton in relation to the bridge......and when they moved the bridge nearer to the corner he missed the announcement in the regs about that - and consequently completely missed the left turn, having braked at his "usual" point
I remember a series that I was in that used all the major tracks but not Castle Combe. The next year we had Combe and a lot of the drivers had never been there, I had but about 6 years previously so they said "you go first and we'll follow" I tore off only to find after the first right hander they had put in a chicane and took to the grass along with most of those following. The next lap round the marshals on that post were giving me the "w*****r" signals
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Apr 2021, 10:12 (Ref:4044926)   #1769
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hope that V6 has enough grunt in it and that it's competitive enough to compete against more developed cars. Hope you get the suspension sorted too, don't forget! Best of luck, at least it has good roadholding. How many wet races do you usually get to make up for lack of power?

And in fairness to your friend the TVR driver they've changed Snetterton quite a bit over the years it's easy to get confused.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 10:13 (Ref:4044927)   #1770
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
I have a friend who used to judge his braking for the end of the Bentley straight at Snetterton in relation to the bridge......and when they moved the bridge nearer to the corner he missed the announcement in the regs about that - and consequently completely missed the left turn, having braked at his "usual" point
Merci, je me sens moins seul et moins stupide!
The little experience I have from an Alfetta 2.0 saloon is that the original front suspension settings are a good start point bar the neg camber. Bob's pictures show that the front pitch you have tends to lift the rear end under heavy braking something you did not have on a 944. I guess you have reinforced chassis with bars between the firewall and the top struts, a known weakness.
I remember that Bacci transmission parts dont go for cheap!https://www.bacciromano.com/it/auto-...rapporto-5-13/

This V6… what a diva singing at any rev. 2.5 or 3.0, its a pure mechanical gem which became disappointing under its 3.2 form due to anti pollution norms. Reliable too. Have fun! If you can, some pictures…
Old 7 Apr 2021, 10:17 (Ref:4044930)   #1771
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The first time that I raced at Snetterton, during practice/qualifying (back then we only had about a 15 minutes single session to form the grid, let alone practice enough)) the Anglia would burn the tips of the spark plugs before I had reached the hairpin of the nearly a mile long Norwich Straight. Consequently, I never established a real braking point, because by that point the car would be misfiring and farting along.

During the period between that session and the race at the end of the day, Bert Avard from Ford at Boreham who looked after Roger Taylor came over and suggested and offered some Autolite racing plugs that they had specially made for them at that time, which were a huge improvement over the Champions that I had used up to that point.

On the first lap of the race, along the Norwich Straight I managed to take the lead from the back of the grid, all because I hadn't established a breaking point, and everyone else was slowing down for the hairpin. Suddenly all I could see was all the spectators sitting in the stand at the corner, at which point I said "Oh, dear" or something fairly similar, stood on the brake pedal, yanked up the handbrake and shoved the car into 1st gear and I think shut my eyes.

Next thing I know, the car has done a 180, and I am staring at the whole grid of saloons swerving all around me, and luckily without one touching me. With sweat now pouring down my face, I then turned around, and tore after the rest. The rest of the race I used as a practice session, and am pleased to say that I actually didn't finish last.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 11:01 (Ref:4044939)   #1772
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
EB, do you know this museum? Looks nice. http://capripowermeetingpics.weebly....on-feb-21.html I know you're far away form North Tasmania…
I dont know the museum, but it looks interesting. I have to confess I have never been to Tasmania even though it is only 600klms away.... I once won one of our car club raffle prizes which was a weekend staying at the Casino there with flights and meals etc. When I went to book my trip a couple of months later I learnt that the agency that had offered the prize had gone belly up and my prize was worth nothing so never went.

Funnily enough one of my best friends has gone over to Tasmania today... he is involved in running the Team Medical race back up stuff and he and another guy had to take the medical cars and equipment over for the upcoming V8SC races there. I think he might have been hinting I helped him, but it is a 10 hour each way ferry crossing which can be quite rough at times and I have to be at home tomorrow for a new fridge to be delivered, so declined the offer.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 11:12 (Ref:4044943)   #1773
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Good to get back racing and testing again.
Then back to work swop over and down to Goodwood with HRTR5 to run his Lovely Elva Mk5 in the sprint. The lad did well. P7 in class and car looked great coming through Woodcote and the Chicane.
Here is a picture next to a MK 4.
Attachment 67959
Great day at Goodwood on Monday! Thanks to work by Iain, over a much longer period than originally hoped (usually the way, huh?!) the car is probably ready for a race debut - maybe one more test day would be sensible. The Sprint was a cost effective way of seeing how much progress we've made, and what remains to be done ... definitely we are getting there, and I think the car might be rather good fun, certainly I was happy to 'push on' in my last two runs rather more so than I had expected to. Could have done with a small flock of Pheasants landing on the racing line at No Name on my final lap ... i missed them but was well offline to do so! Could have been warmer too ...

Really enjoyed meeting the owner and son of the Elva Mk4, nice to see the two rare cars side by side, we pushed them both around the paddock to take a number of photos with appropriate backgrounds!

If there's anyone out there with photos of the car in action on Monday, I'd love to see them!

Thanks Iain and Stewart for the support - look forward to the next chance to get this car out!
Old 7 Apr 2021, 20:01 (Ref:4045004)   #1774
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Merci, je me sens moins seul et moins stupide!
The little experience I have from an Alfetta 2.0 saloon is that the original front suspension settings are a good start point bar the neg camber. Bob's pictures show that the front pitch you have tends to lift the rear end under heavy braking something you did not have on a 944. I guess you have reinforced chassis with bars between the firewall and the top struts, a known weakness.

This V6… what a diva singing at any rev. 2.5 or 3.0, its a pure mechanical gem which became disappointing under its 3.2 form due to anti pollution norms. Reliable too. Have fun! If you can, some pictures…

Don't think we have any reinforcement.....we bought the car as an ex-ARCA car so it had already been campaigned quite a lot. The tweaks my mate has been doing are to the camber so we are hoping to assess any benefits.....

Bauble has been kind enough to include our car in a few of his Picture Parade shots, but I'll try to add some more - one at Croft, courtesy of Malcolm Smith, one at a wet Donington, and one at the chicane entering Knicker Brook at Oulton. (Oops, the Oulton one has done a Delta.....I'll see if I can correct that!)
Attached Thumbnails
Croft 75 Malcolm Smith.jpg   Donington FC.JPG   75 Oulton.jpg  

Old 7 Apr 2021, 20:05 (Ref:4045006)   #1775
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Trying the Oulton pic again...Nope it wouldn't rotate, although in my laptop image it looked fine

Right click on it and you'll see it in proper orientation