Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 14 Jun 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2899002)   #1
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lack of respect for '55 disaster? (CLOSED)

On my numerous visits to Circuit de la Sarthe, one of things that has always struck me as terribly sad is the ACO's unwillingness to remember the 1955 Le Mans disaster, surely the darkest day the entire sport has seen.

I find it bordering on disgusting that there's not even a plaque where the accident happened to remember those who perished - there are still relatives of those who died and even those who were actually there still alive and well and living in the area. Is it not disrespectful to pretend it never even happened?

On Eurosport's coverage, Hindy ensured there was dead silence on the exact date and time since the tragedy to remember the victims. That's just from a few young commentators who weren't even born at the time in a country abroad. Was there silence from the French commentator? Was there anything before the race?

I sincerely hope that I'm not the only one who feels this way. The older I get, the more disgusted I become. I'm certainly writing to the ACO but I doubt it would do much; could I gather enough names for a petition to get some sort of memorial erected on the spot of the tragedy?
Old 14 Jun 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2899005)   #2
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
There is still a plaque somewhere below the tribunes on the start-finish straight.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2899010)   #3
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
There is still a plaque somewhere below the tribunes on the start-finish straight.
My mistake, I have never seen it before!

What's it like?
Old 14 Jun 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2899011)   #4
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

I find it bordering on disgusting that there's not even a plaque where the accident happened to remember those who perished
But there is one - at a spot close to where the Mercesdes struck the barrier.
The ACO has a wreath laid there in memory of the victims each year during race week.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2899012)   #5
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
My mistake, I have never seen it before!

What's it like?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Le_Mans_Memorial.JPG
Old 14 Jun 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2899014)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes the plague is there, I would have expected something bigger but as for putting something where the accident actually happened, I think that might be dangerous for the cars as the track is now much wider than 1955, part of the safety improvements that followed.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2899017)   #7
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also, I watched the 2005 Le Mans DVD review on Thursday so its fresh in my memory that for the 50th anniversary of the disaster they had quite a large ceremony for it.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 22:32 (Ref:2899116)   #8
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Well I guess this thread looks a bit silly now!

But I'm glad I found out about it, I will definitely be paying my respects there next time I'm at La Sarthe on June 11th.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 07:34 (Ref:2899240)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
No you have a point. If you saw the excellent BBC documentary on the crash you will realise that indeed the French authourities did try to cover it up or at least downplay it in fact it indicated that the true number of casualtites was never really known. The race actually continued to the finish which I found unbelieveable. The reason given and maybe they had a point was if they stop it then the rush of people leaving the circuit would have meant that the emergency services couldnt get in or out. BTW the documentary firmly put the blame on an elderly French driver a local hero not Mike Hawthorn who was blamed at the time if I have my facts right.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 07:51 (Ref:2899246)   #10
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
What documentary?
Old 15 Jun 2011, 08:10 (Ref:2899257)   #11
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
What documentary?
"Deadliest Crash" probably.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2899288)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
you will realise that indeed the French authourities did try to cover it up or at least downplay it in fact it indicated that the true number of casualtites was never really known
Like they would be the first authourity to ever have done that then
Old 15 Jun 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2899297)   #13
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
"Deadliest Crash" probably.
Ok.

Not related to the BBC doc but I've seen this one, part of "Mysteres d'archives" series.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 08:58 (Ref:2899299)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is my shot of the plaque in 2005 - which was the 50 year 'anniversary', of course.

Old 15 Jun 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2899338)   #15
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
This is my shot of the plaque in 2005 - which was the 50 year 'anniversary', of course.

Ayse, I think your photo is the conclusion of this thread ; I think we can solemnly close it.

I read enough.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 10:53 (Ref:2899350)   #16
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
This thread shouldn't have started at the first place, a little searching on the internet can get you the result you need!
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:53 (Ref:2899437)   #17
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
This thread shouldn't have started at the first place, a little searching on the internet can get you the result you need!
Old 15 Jun 2011, 13:45 (Ref:2899479)   #18
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Or you can do what the OP did and raise the question on a forum where there are a large number of LM experts who were able to address the questions with relevant and accurate information.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 14:13 (Ref:2899503)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As our patron says - and I agree - this is a free forum. The thread was started perfectly in order, IMO, although if we've established that the memorial plaque is still there, perhaps that does largely answer the original question. Happy to leave it for G4J to have the last comment, if indeed that is what is desired......
Old 15 Jun 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2899622)   #20
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
I totally agree with you that anyone is allowed to ask a question, the only thing that bothered me was the fact that the tone of the rest of the first post was a bit overdue, a little researching on the net would have done no harm I think.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2899835)   #21
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
I came on to this forum to share my opinions, and to learn things about the sport I love. This was just an attempt to find more about something I feel very passionate about, and after Googling it and spending much time on Le Mans' official site, I actually found very little concrete information.

With that in light and having been about a dozen times to La Sarthe and not discovered anything, I think it could be understood why I felt like I did in the original post.

Thank you to those of you who have made me aware of the plaque, I'll be sure to visit it next time. Personally, I would have preferred something larger, but that's personal just preference. Sometimes small and discrete is best, granted.

I think it probably would be wise to close this thread now as this appears to be the thoughts of Aysedasi, but I'd like to take up Ayse's very kind offer to have the last word by adding this thought - perhaps the ACO could do more to raise awareness of the disaster if I have been so many times to Le Mans and not been made aware of the disaster; everything I know comes from books I've read, television programmes I've seen and stories I have heard. But maybe that is down to my youthful ignorance, I've never been to the 24 hours as what you might call an adult....

Apologies if there was any offence caused.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 07:01 (Ref:2899975)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK, that's a good point on which to end then. Thanks.