Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Jun 2011, 22:00 (Ref:2904968)   #1
gvan
Rookie

gvan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Front splitter/diffuser regulations

Hi all,

New to the forum. I was brought here researching Le Mans 24 regulations and finding a few inconsistencies between what I'm reading in the rules and what I'm seeing.

To give you an example, the rules on the front diffuser state that they must "be within the perimeter of the original body work". Several other parts of the regulations say that the car must also look identical from above, again referring that no aerodynamic device must exceed the perimeter of the original bodywork.

So how the heck are the BMW M3's running front splitters that stick out over 6 inches, more than 3 inches out beyond the most forward point of the bumper? Is my interpretation all wonky? What gives?

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

Greg
Old 23 Jun 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2904970)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, that's a special weight dispensation to help balance the shopping in the boot.....

No idea but others more techically-minded will have comments for sure. Welcome to the forum.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 22:35 (Ref:2904976)   #3
gvan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No, that's a special weight dispensation to help balance the shopping in the boot.....

No idea but others more techically-minded will have comments for sure. Welcome to the forum.
So the ACO really is serious about real-world car development!

Thanks and I have a heap more of these regulation questions. I sent several requests to the ACO but no replies.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 22:47 (Ref:2904980)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Well , theres a surprise . I wouldnt expect an answer from them .

Visible exhaust emissions is another one . The rule says NONE . None in my book means none !!! Must be differant in France .
Old 23 Jun 2011, 23:36 (Ref:2904995)   #5
gvan
Rookie

Little worried about this. I really need exact information as I'm trying to draft up some cost figures for a new team. It's pretty grassroots so little things like this are an annoyance. It's expensive enough to do all the car prep without having to redo it because of ambiguity. Or being at a massive performance disadvantage because it's accepted for everyone to ignore certain rules or whatever is going on here.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2905492)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Visible exhaust emissions is another one . .

What?

Beanz
Meanz
Heinz?
Old 24 Jun 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2905512)   #7
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
If your get visuals from Beanz ..... stop it right now !!!
Old 24 Jun 2011, 22:55 (Ref:2905518)   #8
gvan
Rookie

So what everyone's saying is it's a total crap shoot and I should put a 2 foot long front splitter and cross my fingers? Maybe painting the french flag on it will help too?
Old 25 Jun 2011, 06:54 (Ref:2905595)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvan View Post
Maybe painting the french flag on it will help too?
Has done so before .
Old 25 Jun 2011, 10:37 (Ref:2905653)   #10
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Hi all,

New to the forum. I was brought here researching Le Mans 24 regulations and finding a few inconsistencies between what I'm reading in the rules and what I'm seeing.

To give you an example, the rules on the front diffuser state that they must "be within the perimeter of the original body work". Several other parts of the regulations say that the car must also look identical from above, again referring that no aerodynamic device must exceed the perimeter of the original bodywork.

So how the heck are the BMW M3's running front splitters that stick out over 6 inches, more than 3 inches out beyond the most forward point of the bumper? Is my interpretation all wonky? What gives?

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

Greg
you've missed a few threads about the BMW before, it is basicly a prototype car witch has nothing to do with the rule book, it is only alowed to race by the ACO, with total disregard to any regulations.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 25 Jun 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2905688)   #11
gvan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
you've missed a few threads about the BMW before, it is basicly a prototype car witch has nothing to do with the rule book, it is only alowed to race by the ACO, with total disregard to any regulations.
Ahhh, this explains a lot. Thanks!
Old 25 Jun 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2905790)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All GTE cars are heavily modified, and very different from the roadcar.

It's like rallying, a Group N car and WRC essentially look the same, yet the former costs in the region of £100k, the latter £400k.
Old 25 Jun 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2905830)   #13
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm wondering why no other team protested for this front splitter on the BMW.
Old 25 Jun 2011, 17:10 (Ref:2905842)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
BMW had promised to share out their Clubcard points if no-one snitched on them.......
Old 25 Jun 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2905923)   #15
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
I'm wondering why no other team protested for this front splitter on the BMW.
I have heard some in the corvette camp complain about this to the media, but the vettes get their share of allowances from the aco as well.

The rsr jags were amazed to see what the other cars got away with after they were interpreting the rules the way they were written.

So you might want to consult with the aco to see what allowances you can get
Old 25 Jun 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2906042)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
witch
Old 25 Jun 2011, 23:18 (Ref:2906046)   #17
gvan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I have heard some in the corvette camp complain about this to the media, but the vettes get their share of allowances from the aco as well.

The rsr jags were amazed to see what the other cars got away with after they were interpreting the rules the way they were written.

So you might want to consult with the aco to see what allowances you can get
And I keep telling myself NOT to be sneaky with the aero design because you WILL get busted... Maybe not. Maybe I can bolt on a couple turbos and run massive ground effects on my "Flat bottom" while I'm at it.

We'll play by the book and see what the ACO says. If they shoot us down for being the only team to be 100% within specs that'll at least be comical.
Old 25 Jun 2011, 23:40 (Ref:2906049)   #18
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
If they shoot us down for being the only team to be 100% within specs that'll at least be comical.
Yes ..... I would be quite surprised ..... best of luck with that

The lord works in mysterious ways !!!

Last edited by The Badger; 25 Jun 2011 at 23:49.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 10:35 (Ref:2906212)   #19
gvan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Yes ..... I would be quite surprised ..... best of luck with that

The lord works in mysterious ways !!!
Hey, we're not called "Grassroots Racing" for nothing!
Old 26 Jun 2011, 11:39 (Ref:2906236)   #20
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
all the gt2 cars are basically prototype cars......this guy just got his BMW repo'd hence the BMW hate.

BMW built a GT2 car. the BMW M3 roadcar is not even in the same league as the ferrari 458 italia/corvette Z06/Porsche 911 road cars. the BMW is significantly heavier and parts cost has been sacrificed to provide a cheaper car. On the order or as much as half the Porsche and half a third the Ferrari.

but thats not the point of GT2. they don't just exclude cars. Good thing your not in charge of the ACO. there'd probably be no diesels and no manufacturers.

Your not the ACO. Either your wrong or the ACO is wrong.........i doubt you have any say in the ACO.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 11:39 (Ref:2906237)   #21
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
the fact that this forum topic is entirely directed towards the Splitter of the BMW M3 shows that the creator has taken a shallow view to the GTE field.

Your point out something completely obvious(front splitter)....But there's alot more waivers and secrets amongst all the cars that we don't know about. That includes the ferrari,porsche,corvette, and BMW. The BMw splitter is the least of your worrys sir.

Sounds like someone who's trying to smudge BMW.....Plenty of people from the world of motorsports look at these threads. Gvan could be anybody.....

The ACO does not release the waivers for each car so we don;t trully now who is doing what.

Your being scared off by the splitter of a BMW M3?.................. If you aren't pushing the ACO for every little inch when you design a car you are not doing your job.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2906252)   #22
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Audi Racer, your posts crack me up everytime!
Old 26 Jun 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2906284)   #23
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
All GTE cars are heavily modified, and very different from the roadcar.

It's like rallying, a Group N car and WRC essentially look the same, yet the former costs in the region of £100k, the latter £400k.
the porsche and ferrari are built to rule specification
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 13:45 (Ref:2906292)   #24
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
the fact that this forum topic is entirely directed towards the Splitter of the BMW M3 shows that the creator has taken a shallow view to the GTE field.

Your point out something completely obvious(front splitter)....But there's alot more waivers and secrets amongst all the cars that we don't know about. That includes the ferrari,porsche,corvette, and BMW. The BMw splitter is the least of your worrys sir.

Sounds like someone who's trying to smudge BMW.....Plenty of people from the world of motorsports look at these threads. Gvan could be anybody.....

The ACO does not release the waivers for each car so we don;t trully now who is doing what.

Your being scared off by the splitter of a BMW M3?.................. If you aren't pushing the ACO for every little inch when you design a car you are not doing your job.
we do actualy know that the 997 porsche and the 430 ferrari had only minor alowences, because before 2009 FIA and the ACO had the same rulebook for the gt2 clas, and on the FIA site you could download the homologations for the ferrari and porsche with all the waivers. BMW when it came out was so iligal that the FIA didn't alow it to race in the GT2 class.

as for the 458, we only have Lieb's coment at le mans, where he says we are looking at ferrari as a benchmark for our new car since their car has the least waivers.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 13:49 (Ref:2906299)   #25
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
we do actualy know that the 997 porsche and the 430 ferrari had only minor alowences, because before 2009 FIA and the ACO had the same rulebook for the gt2 clas, and on the FIA site you could download the homologations for the ferrari and porsche with all the waivers. BMW when it came out was so iligal that the FIA didn't alow it to race in the GT2 class.

as for the 458, we only have Lieb's coment at le mans, where he says we are looking at ferrari as a benchmark for our new car since their car has the least waivers.
new car? how soon?