Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 9 Dec 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3868953)   #2926
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Nowadays you pay the Dartford Toll online, there are no toll booths. The queues are just as long however!
And as France has a reciprocal agreement with the UK, no good thinking a French licence plate will avoid the toll!

Info here- https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge

And if you’re towing an open trailer with a car on it which has a different licence plate, cover / remove it or you’ll be chased for another payment...
Old 9 Dec 2018, 15:56 (Ref:3868955)   #2927
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Message for bauble- the front cover photo on MOG magazine shows the owner at the wheel of his car, not me fortunately! Would have been a bit non PC to write an article about the car and owner then use a pic with another bod driving it....
Old 9 Dec 2018, 15:58 (Ref:3868956)   #2928
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
And as France has a reciprocal agreement with the UK, no good thinking a French licence plate will avoid the toll!

And if you’re towing an open trailer with a car on it which has a different licence plate, cover / remove it or you’ll be chased for another payment...
Edit- Or even better- avoid the crossing at all costs!
Old 9 Dec 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3868960)   #2929
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Message for bauble- the front cover photo on MOG magazine shows the owner at the wheel of his car, not me fortunately! Would have been a bit non PC to write an article about the car and owner then use a pic with another bod driving it....
Sorry, Mike I was mislead by the white helmet as Simpn usually wears a black one, as below.
Attached Thumbnails
SOG.jpg  
Old 9 Dec 2018, 16:54 (Ref:3868961)   #2930
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Mike, its always the case when the trailer's weight is above 750 kilos, it has its own V5 and registration number. I appreciate the Spanish system, you can go through the toll at an average speed of 50/70 kph, the system "reads" your plate and compares the number with the file. Convenient and fast.
Old 9 Dec 2018, 17:05 (Ref:3868962)   #2931
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Usual great quality pic from you, bauble. Is it a +8 with the Buick engine? My age probably or computer screen but can't see the passenger door… Are the wings GRP? Honey, my glasses please…
Old 9 Dec 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3868968)   #2932
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Usual great quality pic from you, bauble. Is it a +8 with the Buick engine? My age probably or computer screen but can't see the passenger door… Are the wings GRP? Honey, my glasses please…
Brigadier Gerard, it is a standard Morgan ARV6 and it des not have doors..
Old 9 Dec 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3868978)   #2933
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

It's also a French company - SANEF - who run the toll contract. There was talk of being able to use the French autoroute tag at Dartford, don't think it actually happened yet.
Old 9 Dec 2018, 18:47 (Ref:3868981)   #2934
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
MiniMM wants me to pick him up from Pontypridd for Christmas, suggested Saturday 15th. He was a bit peeved when I suggested the Tuesday, the day AFTER the toll is abolished on The Bridge.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Dec 2018, 18:52 (Ref:3868982)   #2935
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Is it a +8 with the Buick engine? My age probably or computer screen but can't see the passenger door… Are the wings GRP? Honey, my glasses please…
ARV6 is race only and uses an American Ford V6, Gerard. If you are a fan you say it’s the Mustang V6. If you’re not a fan you say it’s the F150 truck engine...... The same.

And Morgan bodies are mostly ‘Superformed’ pressed Aluminium nowadays. Amazingly strong, but a pain if you’re trying to knock out a dent! You can’t work it back into shape with special hammers like the old stuff..... When I got hit in the side at Spa in 2017 (in Plus 4) we tried to pull the wing and running board out again but it was impossible.....
Attached Thumbnails
5903A64B-162A-473B-986D-F92488F43C31.jpeg  
Old 9 Dec 2018, 18:55 (Ref:3868983)   #2936
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Brigadier Gerard, it is a standard Morgan ARV6 and it des not have doors..
Aye, aye sir, maréchal des logis chef de réserve tells you we dont have any of those on this continent, sir! The best we have are +8, sir, we're a poor country. As we say, thanks to you i'll to go to bed and have a sleep being less stupid, sir!
Old 9 Dec 2018, 19:00 (Ref:3868985)   #2937
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
MiniMM wants me to pick him up from Pontypridd for Christmas, suggested Saturday 15th. He was a bit peeved when I suggested the Tuesday, the day AFTER the toll is abolished on The Bridge.
Sounds perfectly acceptable to me.....

I’ve done a few journeys involving the Dartford Crossing this year when it’s been possible to cross during the free period between 2200 and 0600. Last time I’m sure it was only seconds away from 0600 when I went under the gantry......
Old 9 Dec 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3868986)   #2938
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ha, OK, Mike I see. I remember your incident at Spa, more than the wing was damaged, the A pilar too. You've been lucky not be be injured and to be able to close the door or at least to keep the door closed…
Is that Aston Martin the first to heat and grease the aluminium sheets before pressing?
Before bauble's notification, I couldn't imagine the Morgan range be that wide. Impressive. Apart from +4's, +8's and Super Sport continuation the others are probably not imported here. Please mon Ami Robert, dont write this in MOG!
Old 9 Dec 2018, 20:06 (Ref:3869002)   #2939
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as a 24hr this one.Get yourself comfy and a mug of hot stuff.

Been reading a interesting article on the latest Motor Sport Mag by Doug Nye (ever heard of him hehe) on the whether historic racing has lost some of its charm shall I say in recent years with the ethos of it being people just getting there machines and showing them off rather than it being more of a business that it has turned into .Interesting points from a relative newbie to historics.Love the way some teams contrasting for example the Sandy Watson crew have matching racesuits and car liveries (Remember the old Jag E Type they had blue and orange my personal favourite of all time .Anyone know what happened to it?Just finish my question on what happened to the Javelin was watching Christian Trabers CSL onbaord from Imola . Looks like a capri when wide and collected the Javelin resulting in it getting punted into the wall sideways, not many things worse than seing a american brute getting launched into a wall.It made me feel a little bad seing it like that.Good driving from the csl though.Was looking at Equipe Europe the other day and I was literally astonished at the amount of cars they have and the quality .4 908's and 5 905's.INCREDIBLE.I hope my endurance races im posting are of any interest to anybody?
Old 9 Dec 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3869003)   #2940
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a side note anyone into the Lord of the Rings here.That and Historics are the two passions I have in life.Whats everyone most looking forward to in 2019 (***** heck 2019 already .
Old 9 Dec 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3869005)   #2941
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Been reading a interesting article on the latest Motor Sport Mag by Doug Nye.
If you’re going to be involved in Historic Racing as a career then read all you can find written by him and learn. One of the most knowledgable and respected journalists on the subject in the world. See wiki- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Nye That piece he wrote in MotorSport was mentioned in the Goodwood Members Meeting thread, and is very much how many view Historic Racing has changed.....
Old 9 Dec 2018, 21:01 (Ref:3869009)   #2942
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
If you’re going to be involved in Historic Racing as a career then read all you can find written by him and learn. One of the most knowledgable and respected journalists on the subject in the world. See wiki- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Nye That piece he wrote in MotorSport was mentioned in the Goodwood Members Meeting thread, and is very much how many view Historic Racing has changed.....
I will do hopefully.It will take quite a few years.Im interested partly due to my age what the future holds for historics and the grid sizes down to the average age of the people on the grids (another hot topic at the moment )
Old 10 Dec 2018, 08:14 (Ref:3869110)   #2943
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
I will do hopefully.It will take quite a few years.Im interested partly due to my age what the future holds for historics and the grid sizes down to the average age of the people on the grids (another hot topic at the moment )
I haven't read Doug's most recent outpourings but he has been around since my formative years and is generally very knowledgeable. As to the development of Historic motor sport, we've discussed that before and IMO the increase in "festival" type events has lead, over a period of time, to the type of entries we get now.

Anyone remember when historic meant VSCC club meetings and the occasional Yeoman Credit races at the GP meetings and maybe big sportscar races such as the 1000kms etc?

I've got photos from the late 80's at Spa when the majority of the cars at the Summer Festival were MGBs and Lotus', with a few Jaguars (some replicas) thrown in.

Now there are vehicles ranging from the humble "B" to Cobras Ferraris, Astons of all eras and of course more Lotus Cortinas that you can shake that proverbial stick at. Club racing? It is all essentially Historics these days.

Good example is Ludovic Lindsay. I first met him in the early eighties pedalling various "old cars" at VSCC meetings with his father's ERA and other vehicles. Now he's all over the major events in varying cars all of which are quite valuable.

Of course the value of the vehicles means they need to be maintained at considerable expense. Hence we now have "teams" rather than individual drivers.
Old 10 Dec 2018, 09:41 (Ref:3869119)   #2944
bauble
Veteran

England
Message for MIke; I have a spare copy of the September MOG with a report of the TT at the BDC (Please see MI5 for code breaking) in which you figure pictorially and with a mention in dispatches. Would you like it or do you have a copy?

RFB ex ERC, LCCA, ORMA, BCF etc.
Old 10 Dec 2018, 10:51 (Ref:3869127)   #2945
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I have a spare copy of the September MOG with a report of the TT at the BDC (Please see MI5 for code breaking) in which you figure pictorially and with a mention in dispatches. Would you like it or do you have a copy?
No I don’t have that issue Bob. Please hang onto it! I’ve managed to get the aforementioned dec issue with the SLR on front cover, and luckily every racing shot of the car inside (and there are several) is with the owner aboard, which is how it should be!
Old 10 Dec 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3869130)   #2946
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Bauble, you must know that "our" Mike is so famous on this continent, that now we have copies of his red Morgan built! Some have a scoop on the bonnet though…
Old 10 Dec 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3869136)   #2947
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Gerard, I’m sure your meaning was lost in translation, but just in case anyone misunderstands- neither of the two red Morgan’s I have been privileged to race belong to me. However, if you see me racing a pale blue +4 with black wheels, then I claim ownership of that one...
Old 10 Dec 2018, 12:03 (Ref:3869140)   #2948
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I haven't read Doug's most recent outpourings but he has been around since my formative years and is generally very knowledgeable.
Indeed, with age comes experience and knowledge (with some exceptions!), and IMO Doug is as much (if not more) a Historian than a journalist. One of a few who is always worth listening to. Hopefully we will see a few youngsters (like Kevin Turner) carry on from Doug, Marcus et al in the future.....
Old 10 Dec 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3869141)   #2949
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Message for MIke; I have a spare copy of the September MOG with a report of the TT at the BDC (Please see MI5 for code breaking) in which you figure pictorially and with a mention in dispatches. Would you like it or do you have a copy?

RFB ex ERC, LCCA, ORMA, BCF etc.
I think you will need GCHQ for code breaking rather than MI5.
Old 10 Dec 2018, 12:32 (Ref:3869144)   #2950
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
ARV6 is race only and uses an American Ford V6, Gerard. If you are a fan you say it’s the Mustang V6. If you’re not a fan you say it’s the F150 truck engine...... The same.
Isn't it also the same engine as used in relatively recent Jaguars, a Duratec V6? Its also used in the Ginetta G50/G55. Comes in 3 litre and 3.5 litre forms, I think.