Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Jan 2007, 01:34 (Ref:1819982)   #1
jezwold
Rookie

New Zealand
On Tour
jezwold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruce Mclaren - The Movie

It was announced today at the New Zealand round of the A1GP that there is going to be a movie based on Bruce Mclaren. More details to follow but this will finally enable Bruce's story to be told and will surprise a number of motorsport fans who have never made the Mclaren UK - Bruce Mclaren NZ link.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 23:11 (Ref:1820582)   #2
jezwold
Rookie

New Zealand
On Tour
Did you know Bruce was the only driver to have won the Formula 1 World Championship, the Le Mans 24 Hours, the Indianapolis 500, and CanAm and Tasman championships?

Movie website is here -

http://www.thebrucemclarenmovie.com./
Old 21 Jan 2007, 09:11 (Ref:1820737)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezwold
Did you know Bruce was the only driver to have won the Formula 1 World Championship, the Le Mans 24 Hours, the Indianapolis 500, and CanAm and Tasman championships?
Not so. He certainly didn't win the F1 title as a driver, nor McLaren as a constructor until after his death, if I recall correctly.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 09:16 (Ref:1820738)   #4
jezwold
Rookie

New Zealand
On Tour
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Not so. He certainly didn't win the F1 title as a driver, nor McLaren as a constructor until after his death, if I recall correctly.
That would be correct! Sorry!

Denny Hulme to date is the only NZ driver to be a Formula 1 World Champion.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 16:12 (Ref:1820996)   #5
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nor did he win the Indy 500 as a driver. He and Chris Amon were 2 of the nicest F1 drivers I knew and I knew most of them in that era.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 22:43 (Ref:1821296)   #6
jezwold
Rookie

New Zealand
On Tour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin
Nor did he win the Indy 500 as a driver. He and Chris Amon were 2 of the nicest F1 drivers I knew and I knew most of them in that era.
Ok ... when I say "Bruce" in my second post I meant his team! So I am sorry for any confusion caused with my statement. This I think illustrates that there isn't a link between him and his team when people reference him in real life! This movie will raise awareness of Bruce, his personal and team achievements.

Leighton, if you knew Bruce then you are very lucky and I would ask you to share an experience or two with the script writers by following the links provided at the movie website.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 16:05 (Ref:1821787)   #7
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Bruce McLaren

I did not know Bruce well enough to contribute anything to a movie. I was running an Elva Mk6 during the early Can Am and even earlier Pro races. We talked at a couple of races. He and Chris were far more friendly to a poor slob in a little car than most of the other 'big' car drivers.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 18:02 (Ref:1821921)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin
He and Chris were far more friendly to a poor slob in a little car than most of the other 'big' car drivers.
Seems like a good quote for starters!
Old 23 Jan 2007, 05:00 (Ref:1822431)   #9
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leighton - this is off the topic but as you were racing back then in the Elva you may know a lady friend of mine by the name of Marilyn Fox (she was Motschenbacher back then and married to Lothar) - they did the entire 8 yrs in Can Am mainly in McLarens. Ive come to know her over the last few years due to my interest in Can Am.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 18:29 (Ref:1824962)   #10
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Sorry no. I probably knew her to see but that would be all. Lothar was not among the most friendly group.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 20:06 (Ref:2174784)   #11
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carter
Leighton - this is off the topic but as you were racing back then in the Elva you may know a lady friend of mine by the name of Marilyn Fox (she was Motschenbacher back then and married to Lothar) - they did the entire 8 yrs in Can Am mainly in McLarens. Ive come to know her over the last few years due to my interest in Can Am.
Hi Steve

Re your intrest in Can-Am - Auckland's Two Rooms Gallery, McLaren Trust and pop artist Bully Apple have put together an exhibition in Auckland as part of the 40 year anniversary celebrations.

See article and video here

Old 11 Apr 2008, 05:30 (Ref:2174992)   #12
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just in case you weren't aware, Billy Apple is a fastidious owner (not racer) of classic cars and motorbikes, including an AJS, Cooper 85, Lola T212 etc. The Lola is the ex Jeremy Lord Minilite Wheels car, that for a time, lived with my lodger in Nottingham. He has been restoring it for many years. Its a small world...