Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Dec 2017, 10:57 (Ref:3787591)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
HSCC SILVERSTONE 'FINALS'

End of season championships decider weekend......
Old 10 Oct 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3855992)   #2
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last meeting of my season where did that year go.

Timetable https://hscc.org.uk/wp-content/uploa...-Finals-V4.pdf

Entry list https://hscc.org.uk/wp-content/uploa...one-Finals.pdf
Old 11 Oct 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3856079)   #3
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My last race - where did the last 28 years go ?? Delighted to welcome any TenTenthers who pass by. I am in the Chev Camaro in Historic Road Sports, no. 55.
Nick
Old 11 Oct 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3856122)   #4
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
What last last last ever race .????
Old 11 Oct 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3856129)   #5
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
Iain,
I'm not sure you are after an answer (sorry if I got you wrong), but having started racing in 1991, a first-timer in historics and no previous experience ... I am hanging up my helmet after a slow not to mention slothful and happy time in the rear half of the grid. I started out in HSCC Historic Road Sports in an Alfa and this is my final race, also with the friendly HSCC.
Nick
Old 11 Oct 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3856132)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well I hope you will keep in touch with us on tenths . Guess we will all have to stop one day . I hope you have a great last race next week .
Old 11 Oct 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3856140)   #7
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For the removal of doubt, look out for;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9173.jpg  
Old 12 Oct 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3856249)   #8
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
Thank you, Bauble, that's a lovely shot and appreciated. I have had more fun in the Chevy over the last 7 years than I care to say - it makes a heart-warming noise on start-up, and a joy to race ...
Nick
Old 12 Oct 2018, 16:12 (Ref:3856295)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Are you keeping the car, Nick? Just in case....
Old 12 Oct 2018, 16:55 (Ref:3856301)   #10
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
Mike,
The Chevy is up for sale at the moment .... ! [sob ! tear in the eye, such a good-hearted beast ...]

Nick
Old 12 Oct 2018, 17:17 (Ref:3856307)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Mike,
The Chevy is up for sale at the moment .... ! [sob ! tear in the eye, such a good-hearted beast ...]

Nick
I trust you’ve tidied that rear wheel arch...

Seriously- hope it goes to a good home. Lovely car and an asset to the HRS grid.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 08:19 (Ref:3856767)   #12
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
My last race - where did the last 28 years go ?? Delighted to welcome any TenTenthers who pass by. I am in the Chev Camaro in Historic Road Sports, no. 55.
Nick

Sorry to see another real enthusiast hanging up his helmet.
What will you do with all the time you'll have on your hands with no racecar to prep?
Old 16 Oct 2018, 08:09 (Ref:3857088)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Have a great final blast Nick . . . I remember racing with you when I first started in 2004, that seems like a lifetime away. . .Top Hat at Spa, and later U2TC when it first started.

Sadly more and more enthusiasts are retiring from this hobby.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 19:25 (Ref:3857155)   #14
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
Zef, thanks, and thanks for reminding me of encounters in early U2TC and Top Hat - when there seemed to be lots of new historic racing experiments/series/w.h.y. to try out and which provided me and others with endless fun. And if something did not suit you, then there'd be another idea along shortly.
The recollections I have are all about the people I met and raced with, the mental snapshots stay with me ... waiting out a delay at Spa, sitting on a baulk of timber with Jackie Oliver who is telling me what his BMW 1800 is like on the track; or being sandwiched in the drivers changing room between Derek Bell and Phil Hill and joining in the conversation; Zef - being Zef and so on.
So thanks to all of you who have posted on this thread...
Nick
Old 20 Oct 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3857973)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good to meet up with our Nick today, who looked cheerful enough considering his departure from the circuits (but not from here I am assured). The Chevvy looked good and went well, Nick not afraid to mix it with some of the small fry, like Lotus etc.

Sunny most of the time and no need for sweaters or heavy jackets.

Scrounged a copy of a new magazine launched by Mike Jiggle, Auto Tradition, beautifully produced, and full of excellent articles and photos, well worth the
£7.50 price tag for a quarterly issue. A publication for the enthusiast by an enthusiast, No I am not involved or being paid, just think it should succeed.

Take a look there is an on-line issue I believe, certainly a web site.

Cheers, Nick,

Bob.
Old 21 Oct 2018, 06:48 (Ref:3858095)   #16
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Enjoyed day one. Lovely grid of cars in the 70s roadsports and the FF1600 race was a classic

Day two has dawned misty so should be another good day.
Old 21 Oct 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3858166)   #17
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saturday paddock

Old 22 Oct 2018, 08:02 (Ref:3858337)   #18
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great weekend at Silverstone for me with the Gemini... had only entered for Saturday, merely to test some new parts ... qualified 4th with my best ever FJ time around there and was promoted to 3rd after the demise of the pole-sitter, Will Mitcham, with engine issues. Lots of understeer, presumably due to it being quite cold still at 09:20 ... but otherwise the car was excellent.

By racetime it had warmed up a touch, got an ok start (an ok start is 'good' for me, I'm not great at starts!), managed to hold 3rd place on lap one, and then more-or-less stayed in touch with Ray Mallock and Alex Morton out front and the three of us drew away from the pack. Chuffed to bits to get stopped in the pitlane for trophies, photos and a chat with Marcus - my first real podium ever - only achieved class podiums previously. Also went a little bit quicker still.

Phoned home excitedly to tell the wife, and she suggested that maybe I could actually stay and do the Sunday race ... Delta crew were fine with that, as were HSCC.

Was very kindly invited to join the DBT bbq, quite the best racetrack bbq food I've had, thanks very much!

Race 2 on Sunday morning, got a reasonable start again, moved away on the tail of the two leaders and was holding on (ish!), but got a big puff of oil smoke from under the bonnet at Brooklands on about lap 4 and it lasted just long enough for me to decide to pit for a check-over, i really cannot afford a blow-up ... true enough smoke had stopped by the time i coasted to a stop at Delta pit, and they could see nothing, so we assumed a drip of oil (plenty of oil always about in an FJ!) on the exhaust wrap ... anyway, sent out again to bring it home, two laps down, but car was going very well, understeer was reduced after stiffening the rear shocks further, and I went faster yet again! Had it happened elsewhere on the circuit then the smoke would have cleared before the pit-in, and I would probably have pressed on ... but had it been an indication of impending failure then I'd have been stranded on the start straight, which offers little refuge .... Shame not to get two podiums, but I'm happy with my decision to pit for a check-over ....

Was still a top weekend, fantastic weather helping of course, some good grids and races to watch. Thanks to Delta crew for the support.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 09:12 (Ref:3858358)   #19
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great to hear you had a good weekend James. Nothing like a bit of unseen before smoke for sending one into pitlane. The old $ v. fun equation kicks in.
(You may remember we met briefly at Phillip Island a few years ago on your Triumph adventure. Chris.)
Old 22 Oct 2018, 09:55 (Ref:3858376)   #20
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Great to hear you had a good weekend James. Nothing like a bit of unseen before smoke for sending one into pitlane. The old $ v. fun equation kicks in.
(You may remember we met briefly at Phillip Island a few years ago on your Triumph adventure. Chris.)
I do indeed Chris, nice to hear from you!
Old 26 Oct 2018, 21:44 (Ref:3859353)   #21
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry for being bit late, but really enjoyed last Saturday at Silverstone. The races in the afternoon were great to watch with battles none stop from front to back, only disappointment was Jamie Bradshaw having problems and ruling him out of the DBT, was really looking forward to seeing him and Michael Lyons going head to head. Any way here's my vid from the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjpxyoSQArc
Old 28 Oct 2018, 22:28 (Ref:3859676)   #22
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Sorry for being bit late, but really enjoyed last Saturday at Silverstone. The races in the afternoon were great to watch with battles none stop from front to back, only disappointment was Jamie Bradshaw having problems and ruling him out of the DBT, was really looking forward to seeing him and Michael Lyons going head to head. Any way here's my vid from the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjpxyoSQArc

Great video, thanks for posting.