Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 May 2003, 08:25 (Ref:593200)   #1
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Contemplating HSCC Racing next?

I'm contemplating HSCC racing next season but am based in France. I'm looking for advice.

If I had a pre '65 with FIA papers, what series are availible in Europe for it?

Also any suggestions for an entry level car, race ready with FIA papers would be welcome, I rather favour Alfa or Fiat, but something French might suit. However that doesn't rule out GB or US cars totally. Budget say £15,000.

Call me old fashioned, but I like open cars, road legal, road worthy, and with the engine in front... driving the rear wheels.

Long live opposite lock!

Steve McQueen.
Old 8 May 2003, 08:45 (Ref:593211)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't there a French club series - the one that was at Croix last week www.top.fr - then in England there are the various Top Hat races (FIA not obligatory) as well as pre 70 & pre 80 from HSCC - I'd guess for the international series much bigger budgets are required although there are lots of one off races such as Spa in September
Old 8 May 2003, 10:24 (Ref:593300)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
FIA papers, open top and rear wheel drive. You are going to struggle but you could get a less developed MGB with papers for that or Alfa 101 Guillietta spider or possibly Triumph TR4? They will be eligible for HSCC and Julius' Cloth Cap and Spa 6 hour and European FIA. I gather the domestic series is for hot rods. Good luck in your quest and certainly in HSCC and Cloth Cap you will have some great racing, I did Donington Cloth Cap on Monday and it was one of the most fun races I have done ever!
Old 8 May 2003, 10:48 (Ref:593334)   #4
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Mmmmnnnnn..... Simon, what do you mean by "I gather the domestic series is for hot rods." French domestic series?

I suppose the Budget could be stretched a liitle, how uncompetitive are the Alfa 101 1600 cars?

Last edited by eclectic; 8 May 2003 at 10:50.

Steve McQueen.
Old 12 May 2003, 22:01 (Ref:597423)   #5
bolide
Rookie

bolide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA in the UK

I agree with Simon - the Top Hat series offers great racing for a wide range of cars

With Julius's series you can often get more than one race per weekend which is a real bonus, particularly if you have to travel a long way to race

The HSCC offers great racing for cars with limited modifications, but they don't normally offer more than one race per event and the races can be all-too-short

In a TR4, for example, at the recent Donington Top Hat meeting, you would have been eligible for Cloth Cap (1 hour), Best of British and Sebring Salute. That's a lot of racing but, when compared with the cost of going to a meeting for just one 15-minute race, it offers real value - and you'd be in a grid with some extraordinary cars

You won't be winning races unless you pick a super-competitive car but then that's true anywhere, isn't it?

Nick Froome
Bolide Top Hat website
Old 13 May 2003, 07:06 (Ref:597634)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
by hot rods I mean cars that are not FIA compatable! In fact I gather taht often they are more silouette in the ICS style! 101's are competitive to MGB's and a lot prettier! The advantage is that as there are fewer racing than MGB's you are more likely to get the invites to races like Carol Spagg's Gentlemen Drivers etc... as well as Julius' GTA Challenge and HSCC Classic Sports Car 9race 13 I think on Sunday at Silverstone - I am racing the 11 in it.
Old 13 May 2003, 08:10 (Ref:597663)   #7
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Yes, I found, on the internet, a race winning Djet for sale here in France with 10" wide rear wheels claiming (French) FIA papers!

Steve McQueen.
Old 13 May 2003, 13:08 (Ref:597864)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

they normally have a race at the Spa 6 hour meeting and the cars have a loose interpretation of the rules both on and off the track! the levels of scrutineering are not as tough re firewalls etc so be careful if you buy abroad and race here without getting it looked over
Old 13 May 2003, 14:48 (Ref:597955)   #9
Jenny
Racer

Jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi and welcome to the wacky world of racing! Where in France? I have several contacts (including people at two circuits in the very south of France near the Rhone) who might be able to point you in the direction of racing there. Not sure about tin tops - race a single seater myself with the engine behind but it was a F3 car in the 60s!
Old 13 May 2003, 15:33 (Ref:598011)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

is it not a F3 car now?
Old 13 May 2003, 15:57 (Ref:598042)   #11
Jenny
Racer

Jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but I drive it like a shopping trolley at the moment!
Old 13 May 2003, 22:46 (Ref:598365)   #12
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Thanks for the offer Jenny, I live near Angouleme, in the Charente about 1 1/2 hours NE of Bordeaux.

Last edited by eclectic; 13 May 2003 at 22:47.

Steve McQueen.