Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Aug 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2515445)   #1
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes considering sports car racing?

Nothing more than a thought from autoblog, but interesting none-the-less:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/04/m...t-of-f1s-door/
Old 4 Aug 2009, 17:22 (Ref:2515581)   #2
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't follow F1 that closely, but I am surprised a team would pull out after winning the championship last season. Mercedes hasn't been involved in sportscar racing since the flipping incidents.... but if they were considering this move I guess it would be in a prototype, possibly a hybrid of some sort.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2515754)   #3
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if they were to go back to sportscar racing it would be with GT cars, they don't have a good record with protos (1955, and to a lesser extent 1999).

The SLS AMG would make a great GT car:

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 4 Aug 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2515810)   #4
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Soon the tires on the cars will be taller than the rest of the car.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 06:04 (Ref:2515898)   #5
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
I think if they were to go back to sportscar racing it would be with GT cars, they don't have a good record with protos (1955, and to a lesser extent 1999).

http://motoring.sky.com/siteimages/s...-sls-amg-1.jpg

What the hell is that? And everyone likes Mercedes? Not if they make designs like those....

Last edited by Adam43; 7 Aug 2009 at 22:52. Reason: Image death! ;-)
Old 5 Aug 2009, 06:17 (Ref:2515908)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It looks like an artist's rendering of the SLR. Take it with a bucket load of salt.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 07:45 (Ref:2515931)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post

http://motoring.sky.com/siteimages/s...-sls-amg-1.jpg
I seen cartoon pictures like that before ~(usually in cheap pound shops)but they are usually of some small hatch back and just as horrible.

Last edited by Adam43; 7 Aug 2009 at 22:52.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2516061)   #8
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, in the wider picture it seems to make sense, despite the picture above. At the moment Audi, Mercedes and the DTM management discussing the new 'more manufacturer friendly' DTM from 2010 which is supposed to be GT2/GT3 friendly to water BMW's mouth for their works entry
Old 5 Aug 2009, 13:32 (Ref:2516130)   #9
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Here is a picture of the actual car.
But i don't think we will se neither a GT or an LMP from Mercedes!, they have NEVER experiences real success with their LM cars, without getting overshadowed by some failure. Even the Grp. C cars where a failure because of the many attempts it took to win (the C cars started in 1985!)
Old 5 Aug 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2516144)   #10
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like a modernized Gullwing.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 14:15 (Ref:2516152)   #11
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
Looks like a modernized Gullwing.
Well that was also the original idea, like the SLR.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2516193)   #12
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
Well, in the wider picture it seems to make sense, despite the picture above. At the moment Audi, Mercedes and the DTM management discussing the new 'more manufacturer friendly' DTM from 2010 which is supposed to be GT2/GT3 friendly to water BMW's mouth for their works entry
Why not run the DTM completely to GT2 or GT3 rules? Then you could have:

Audi
Merc
BMW
& Porsche

Only Merc would have to build a new car!
Old 5 Aug 2009, 16:02 (Ref:2516201)   #13
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
http://pictures.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/official-image-of-the-mercedes-sls-amg-ar76662/IMG/jpg/200907/official-images-of-tw.jpg
But i don't think we will se neither a GT or an LMP from Mercedes!, they have NEVER experiences real success with their LM cars, without getting overshadowed by some failure. Even the Grp. C cars where a failure because of the many attempts it took to win (the C cars started in 1985!)
That is AWFUL, wot were they thinking!!

Last edited by Adam43; 7 Aug 2009 at 22:50. Reason: Image death! ;-)
Old 5 Aug 2009, 16:07 (Ref:2516204)   #14
topper
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford/Chester
topper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
http://pictures.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/official-image-of-the-mercedes-sls-amg-ar76662/IMG/jpg/200907/official-images-of-tw.jpg

I'm taking this image with a pinch of salt - it looks like a photoshop..

Last edited by Adam43; 7 Aug 2009 at 22:51. Reason: Image death! ;-)
Old 5 Aug 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2516208)   #15
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Well the original source is Autobild (i have the magazine) so don't be too sceptic about it!
Besides, look how much it looks like the mule and design sketch!

Edit:
Here is a photo of the test car!, look at the similarities.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2516216)   #16
topper
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford/Chester
Quote:
Well the original source is Autobild (i have the magazine) so don't be too sceptic about it!
Besides, look how much it looks like the mule and design sketch!

Edit:
Here is a photo of the test car!, look at the similarities.
http://pictures.topspeed.com/cars/ca...s-amg-vs-w.jpg

Yep, fair enough. Hopefully the final production model will look better than the first picture.

Is this the final update to the SLR? I thought that was to be the 'Stirling Moss'?

Last edited by Adam43; 7 Aug 2009 at 22:51. Reason: Image death! ;-)
Old 5 Aug 2009, 16:24 (Ref:2516218)   #17
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Yep, fair enough. Hopefully the final production model will look better than the first picture.

Is this the final update to the SLR? I thought that was to be the 'Stirling Moss'?
Well, sorry to disappoint you, but don't get our hopes up!, this is likely hows it going to look from Mercedes (but there will be tuner versions of it of course)
No, the SLR is an old model, and the SLS is a brand new replacement for the SLR, made together with AMG instead of McLaren.

But this is going off topic!
Old 6 Aug 2009, 01:29 (Ref:2516544)   #18
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
But it looks much less like ass than that ridiculous drawing does. Actually it looks pretty good, though not too much like that test car (which itself looks like the unholy lovechild of a Z4 and a diseased Zebra).
Old 6 Aug 2009, 01:37 (Ref:2516549)   #19
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was thinking it looked like MB took the baby Viper concept and made a Merc out of it. That front just screams new Dodge to me.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 01:46 (Ref:2516552)   #20
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
SLR meets Dodge Caliber?!

PS: I actually like the Caliber for what it is, my buddy and I had a rental one for a few days and it was great.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 09:52 (Ref:2516681)   #21
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
But it looks much less like ass than that ridiculous drawing does. Actually it looks pretty good, though not too much like that test car (which itself looks like the unholy lovechild of a Z4 and a diseased Zebra).
Well with the test car you have too look at the lines behind the black to see it, but it's actually the same car!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I was thinking it looked like MB took the baby Viper concept and made a Merc out of it. That front just screams new Dodge to me.
Actually one of the first mules for this car was an Viper
http://www.channel4.com/4car/gl/gall...y+shot/21039/1
Old 7 Aug 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2517532)   #22
topper
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford/Chester
Maybe it'll sell well in the US...
Old 8 Aug 2009, 01:33 (Ref:2517651)   #23
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe it'll sell well in the US...
Just because it looks like a Charger? That's pretty boneheaded for a statement.
Old 13 Aug 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2520805)   #24
Mulsanne Bleu
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Mulsanne Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB IS THE STIG View Post
That is AWFUL, wot were they thinking!!
That brings to the point what is so ****ed up about car designs these days

examples of these are the new Fiat 500, Das Neu Mini, 370Z (which is trying to be a 2+2 260Z), Ferrari P4/5, last model Ford Thunderbird, new Chevy Camaro, new Dodge Challenger, Ford GT. Also token mention goes to the Lamborghini Murciélago for ripping design hints off its precessors - a huge contrast of them and almost the Muira concept of 2006, which at least the bosses had the decency to pull the plug.

What they have got in common - they all are retro wannabes without any hint of originality, which is what is so screwed up about car designs

At least the SLR made an affort of not straying too far into the retro wannabe bandwagon

This makes me think why I'm glad I never trained to become a car designer
Old 13 Aug 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2520828)   #25
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
How much does the public at large notice though, I wonder? It's probably not nearly as much as we do here. They just want to see what they think are cool new concepts and production sports cars. It's probably not an overwhelming endorsement of public intelligence or design skill that a company thought the market would receive the Pontiac Aztec well, and thus made it a production vehicle.

At least partly because of this perceived public demand (I would have to think), timelines for getting new designs out have been cut quite significantly. There isn't necessarily the time anymore for designers to feel they can just let something revolutionary come to them. Also, companies have become leaner, so the emphasis on simply delivering product is that much more prominent. There is also the issue of automakers pushing for in-your-face designs with very clear brand identification. Engineers and designers get caught in just doing their assignmen to accomplish the mission, and don't consider things outside of the box. Along these same lines, engineers, and I suspect designers as well, are more and more taught to analyze problems and deliver the single correct answer, as opposed to having to create their own solution in a situation where there can easily be a plethora of "correct" answers. There was a good article about this earlier this summer in "Automotive Engineering" where they talked with Professor Dale Harrow of the Royal College of Art about these sorts of issues and concerns.