Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Apr 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3812350)   #676
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
When I got there this morning they couldn't give me a ticket as they had run out. No, really! Judging by the number of people there, I can only guess they only printed a handful of tickets to start with. Difficult to judge actual spectator numbers. Maybe a few more than a normal BRSCC clubie, but not massively so.

Lots of TCR branding around the paddock, including a small hospitality unit. Felt like they were trying to make a big effort, but somehow felt out of place in what was otherwise a typical low-key BRSCC meet. I still can't quite get my head around where they are pitching this.

They did a grid walk prior to the first race. Cars lined up on the grid then they opened it to the public for 20-30 mins. Nice touch and I'm sure it looked good TV coverage. However, not that well organised. Couldn't see anything in the program about it. If it was mentioned on the commentary I didn't, but then there was no radio and the PA is barely audible around much of the circuit. I asked a group of Silverstone 'here to help' race-makers who were hanging around parc ferme. They had only just been told to go to the paddock and had no idea if/when/where the grid walk was happening, and if it was ticket only or open access.

As far as the races went, not too bad. Not great but I've seen a lot worse. Race 1 was close in the mid-field, race 2 less so. The problem isn't simply lack of cars, it's the range of driver abilities over such a small field. There's some very good drivers up front, and some not so good. With that spread of talent, it needs another dozen cars to fill the gaps.
Old 1 Apr 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3812363)   #677
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully Lloyd makes the full season and then he'll return to BTCC in 2019 or make a switch to WTCR.
Old 1 Apr 2018, 20:31 (Ref:3812369)   #678
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
well that was... ok
wasnt amazing but some good close racing,
only seemed a handful of spectators which was a shame.

it seemed at times to be taking too long at 30 mins possibly due to the size and quality of grid. its hard not to try and compare to BTCC but it was solid and id probably watch next time too
Too much faffing around with out laps and such. Practice/quali, etc was about 1¼ hours too long. Most exciting thing in qualifying session was the spectator opposite who lost their umbrella in the wind. Like most high tech FWD cars, they're dull as dishwater on their own and it's impossible to see from trackside what's quick and what's not. Races were OK in parts, track limits a joke - Moffat passed in the second race from off-track. Maybe if they can get another 15 regulars it could be worthwhile, but far from convinced.

Every other race on the card was better, which isn't what you need on a high-profile event.

Sorry.
Old 1 Apr 2018, 21:27 (Ref:3812380)   #679
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I coould see, there were more spectators than at a normal 'clubbie' meeting, but how many of them were on "guest" tickets and I'd have expected more for a highish profile series. Possibly the bitter cold kept people away.

The cars - I've not seen any form of TCR racing live or on screen and the only TCR vehicle I've seen on track was an Audi S3 (?) in a club meeeting. From trackside all I can say is that more variety is needed - they were all identikit 5 door hatchbacks with bodykits and standard rear wing.

On the plus side, they have got the performance and sound great, so with a few more entries, this could be a good 2nd level UK Touring Car series.
Old 1 Apr 2018, 21:53 (Ref:3812384)   #680
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Despite the small grid both races were entertaining.
Coverage on Youtube was good.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 07:51 (Ref:3812427)   #681
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
When I got there this morning they couldn't give me a ticket as they had run out. No, really! Judging by the number of people there, I can only guess they only printed a handful of tickets to start with. Difficult to judge actual spectator numbers. Maybe a few more than a normal BRSCC clubie, but not massively so.

Lots of TCR branding around the paddock, including a small hospitality unit. Felt like they were trying to make a big effort, but somehow felt out of place in what was otherwise a typical low-key BRSCC meet. I still can't quite get my head around where they are pitching this.

They did a grid walk prior to the first race. Cars lined up on the grid then they opened it to the public for 20-30 mins. Nice touch and I'm sure it looked good TV coverage. However, not that well organised. Couldn't see anything in the program about it. If it was mentioned on the commentary I didn't, but then there was no radio and the PA is barely audible around much of the circuit. I asked a group of Silverstone 'here to help' race-makers who were hanging around parc ferme. They had only just been told to go to the paddock and had no idea if/when/where the grid walk was happening, and if it was ticket only or open access.

As far as the races went, not too bad. Not great but I've seen a lot worse. Race 1 was close in the mid-field, race 2 less so. The problem isn't simply lack of cars, it's the range of driver abilities over such a small field. There's some very good drivers up front, and some not so good. With that spread of talent, it needs another dozen cars to fill the gaps.
Poor customer service at Silverstone - now there is a change....
Old 2 Apr 2018, 07:59 (Ref:3812429)   #682
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Very true-not been since I was refused entry to F3000 paddock Intl Trophy 1988-TV coverage? any idea when we might see this?
Old 2 Apr 2018, 08:01 (Ref:3812430)   #683
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Love how the whole build up everyone was saying it won’t happen it won’t happen and now it actually has with a almost decent size grid everyone’s looking for a new reason to dislike it

Good grid, fairly good racing. Can be improved massively but this is only the first weekend. I’m sure they will gain cars and with it more battling
Old 2 Apr 2018, 08:15 (Ref:3812432)   #684
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
This was clearly printed in the timetable in the programme, very difficult to miss, as was the radio frequency, this was clearly shown to the left of the main gate as you entered the circuit, it was 1602am.

Far to much practice for to few cars, lets hope the series grows as the lap times were faster than BTCC lastSeptember. No need to be hanging about for 25 minutes in the cold on Saturday afternoon waiting for the 2nd practice to start as per the programme.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3812445)   #685
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Love how the whole build up everyone was saying it won’t happen it won’t happen and now it actually has with a almost decent size grid everyone’s looking for a new reason to dislike it

Good grid, fairly good racing. Can be improved massively but this is only the first weekend. I’m sure they will gain cars and with it more battling
amazed that only 13 cars is considered a 'good grid' and with at least 3 of those will not be doing the next round!

its a poorly supported club event. nothing more, nothing less.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3812446)   #686
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
lap times were faster than BTCC lastSeptember.
Silverstone has a much faster surface now though.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3812447)   #687
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Far to much practice for to few cars, lets hope the series grows as the lap times were faster than BTCC lastSeptember.
the circuit was resurfaced over winter so all lap times are faster now.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3812448)   #688
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
amazed that only 13 cars is considered a 'good grid'
the first race of STCC in 1996 had just 13 cars from 2 categories...

http://www.supertouringregister.com/event/780/

and then the championship grew to one of the biggest national super touring series
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:21 (Ref:3812449)   #689
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
the first race of STCC in 1996 had just 13 cars from 2 categories...

http://www.supertouringregister.com/event/780/

and then the championship grew to one of the biggest national super touring series
yes but that was their major touring car championship. not an expensive club racing series like in the UK.

the combined spanish/portugal as well as the belgium TCR series closed up after just one season last year due to low numbers of entries like UK.
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018...ts-one-season/

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2017...enelux-series/
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3812450)   #690
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look at Sundays TCR races around the world, Japan 7 cars, Asia 8, Thailand 5, 13 is not really a bad grid for a first race
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3812451)   #691
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
Look at Sundays TCR races around the world, Japan 7 cars, Asia 8, Thailand 5, 13 is not really a bad grid for a first race
really? so all youve done is to highlight how many countries are doing badly!
dont get me wrong. TCR is good for those countries that dont have a stong local touring car championship. but it doesnt work when trying to shoe-horn it into a space in the market that doesnt exist.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3812452)   #692
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course the entry at Suzuka was 52 cars just 7 TCR
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:35 (Ref:3812453)   #693
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
Of course the entry at Suzuka was 52 cars just 7 TCR
exactly the point I just made.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3812456)   #694
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I think that in the UK, the TCR series just doesn't make sense. BTCC will always be in a better position and furthermore, with all support package + British GT also racing in Britain, there are lots of opportunities for aspiring drivers wanting to get to BTCC. TCR is completely unnecessary. Cars are not much less powerful and much slower, they are not much cheaper either, so it is hard to treat it as a true feeder series for BTCC. For me, as long as BTCC is in good health, with so many entries, teams, tv coverage and simply an established position, TCR UK doesn't and won't make sense. I wouldn't be at all surprised if TCR UK closes down after 2019 after failing to complete a stable grid of more than 10 cars once again.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:49 (Ref:3812457)   #695
loon
Racer

I wasn't really making a point just giving a gentle tickle to the miserable !!
Old 2 Apr 2018, 11:02 (Ref:3812460)   #696
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
amazed that only 13 cars is considered a 'good grid' and with at least 3 of those will not be doing the next round!

its a poorly supported club event. nothing more, nothing less.
Looking at who may or may not be doing the next round, presumably the UK-based entries will be back for Knockhill. Kangas probably won't be back after using it as a shakedown for whichever TCR series he's planning to run in (Europe or STCC?).

Lloyd is quoted on TouringCarTimes this morning as saying that 'Everything's been really positive both on and off track, we've had some good discussions. We've got a little break until the next one and we're going to make sure we make it happen', so looks like he's trying to pull together a deal for the rest of the year.

The Backmans are also suggesting they may be returning- apparently they're looking at either TCR UK or STCC as options. Given their limited experience (Silverstone was the touring car debut for both siblings- previously they've done karting and rallycross), a lower-profile campaign in the UK might be a better option for this season

Quote:
yes but that was their major touring car championship. not an expensive club racing series like in the UK.

the combined spanish/portugal as well as the belgium TCR series closed up after just one season last year due to low numbers of entries like UK.
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018...ts-one-season/

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2017...enelux-series/
Iberia was a joint venture between two promoters who then spent the whole year falling out- hardly surprising it died on it's backside. In Belgium the promoter bailed after two seasons- they also saddled themselves with an almost incomprehensible arrangement of 5 races over a weekend, with a mix of sprints and a 1-hour/2-driver enduro. They've basically rolled it into the TCR Europe series for this year

Neither Belgium, Spain or Portugal has a great history of getting big grids for their major touring car series in the last 20 years or so- even back in Supertouring days they used to be about a dozen ST cars at most, and the grids padded out with various production or one-make series cars
Old 2 Apr 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3812465)   #697
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daniel Lloyd already said last week that he wanted to do a full season of TCR UK: https://www.touringcars.net/2018/03/...eason-campaign

The Bäckmans may return, but has yet to be confirmed: https://www.touringcars.net/2018/04/...erstone-finale

It should also be noted that there were various team representatives from other series' present in the paddock at Silverstone at the weekend, who may be looking to explore entries in the future.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3812469)   #698
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
People are quick to forget that BTCC has had races where the car numbers have approached single digits too.

Yeah fine, the grid wasn't massive. And the races did spread out. But for a first race, it looked great on the screen and the racing was great, especially race 1. I'm not really seeing the big problem with this.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 12:26 (Ref:3812471)   #699
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Logical that Lloyd should do a full season, he’s had a good start and the more entries the better
Old 2 Apr 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3812480)   #700
touring fan01
Veteran

as a club racing series, which it is, it will continually struggle because its just too expensive for what it offers