Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Aug 2004, 19:27 (Ref:1075434)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans 2004 Review Video/DVD

I noticed that while I was at Brands Hatch over the weekend that the review of this years Le Mans has been released. No dobut I will be picking it up at the weekend.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1075461)   #2
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed it to, I didn't buy because I'm not sure if it's the one you get for being in the uprated ACO membership?
Old 23 Aug 2004, 20:04 (Ref:1075475)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I bought it yesterday - just watched it - tis ok but the commentary is a bit poor - I think a better review could be made.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 20:10 (Ref:1075484)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll buy it, if not to keep up the collection I have them all going back to 1987 now.
Old 24 Aug 2004, 17:47 (Ref:1076357)   #5
MHRasmussen
Rookie

Denmark
Denmark
MHRasmussen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
I bought it yesterday - just watched it - tis ok but the commentary is a bit poor - I think a better review could be made.
Poor commentary... situation normal, then. Do you know if it's still Christopher Tate? He's been doing the LM reviews for a number of years now.

I would prefer the RLM-crew to be honest.
Old 24 Aug 2004, 19:49 (Ref:1076441)   #6
Ianspeed
Rookie

Ianspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with that. I was very dissapointed with the 99 video due to the flat coverage of a rather unique race. Is there a date, roughly, where the Radio Le Mans coverage stopped being used in the tapes?
Old 24 Aug 2004, 19:54 (Ref:1076443)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
The last one that used the RLM commentry was 1995, but on the 2002 review there is a tinny bit of RLM commentry.
Old 25 Aug 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1077000)   #8
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did anybody order this from Grand Prix Legends? Because I ordered it ages ago, when it was announced, and haven't got it yet. I could've got it last week from town!

Emailed them twice, no reply...
Old 25 Aug 2004, 12:18 (Ref:1077016)   #9
simon c
Racer

simon c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
I'll buy it, if not to keep up the collection I have them all going back to 1987 now.
you can still get 82,83,84,85 and 86 from Duke in IOM too.

all these were made by Brian Kriesky and his team and are the last before official ACO footage became the order of the day.

if you can, get the 84 one - quite simply, the best Le Mans video you will ever see. it is stunning in every way including very emotive commentary throughout and breathtaking shots of the Mulsanne during the opening laps.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 20:08 (Ref:1102358)   #10
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
I finally got my copy of this year review DVD over the weekend, can't say I am that impressed seems on par to resent reviews IMO.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 20:35 (Ref:1102385)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeHoyer
Did anybody order this from Grand Prix Legends? Because I ordered it ages ago, when it was announced, and haven't got it yet. I could've got it last week from town!

I ordered it quite a while ago from Sendit.com - they had it going for £13 with no p&p but its been out of stock. I can't understand how a DVD can be out of stock within days of its release when they ought to be able to predict its likely audience fairly accurately......

On the subject of commentary, I'd prefer it if they brought out a version with no commentary at all, just the cars! I absolutely detest the added-on commentary we've had to suffer for the last 8-9 years. I suppose its because the old Sportsseen RLM vids were just sooooo good.....
Old 20 Sep 2004, 20:35 (Ref:1102387)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeHoyer

I haven't actually seen it yet in any of our local High Street shops.....
Old 20 Sep 2004, 20:36 (Ref:1102388)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Ianspeed
I agree with that. I was very dissapointed with the 99 video due to the flat coverage of a rather unique race. Is there a date, roughly, where the Radio Le Mans coverage stopped being used in the tapes?

The last one with RLM coverage (commentary) was 1995 (IIRC).

Sorry Rob, I missed your reply. Confirms my thinking though.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 20 Sep 2004 at 20:37.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 20:39 (Ref:1102391)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by simon c
you can still get 82,83,84,85 and 86 from Duke in IOM too.

all these were made by Brian Kriesky and his team and are the last before official ACO footage became the order of the day.

if you can, get the 84 one - quite simply, the best Le Mans video you will ever see. it is stunning in every way including very emotive commentary throughout and breathtaking shots of the Mulsanne during the opening laps.
I've got the Duke (Kreisky) 86 and 87 tapes. They are very good. The 87 tape is worth it for the in-car footage of the 4WD Porsche when it is shunted at Indianapolis......
Old 20 Sep 2004, 22:57 (Ref:1102506)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Got my copy a few weeks back from Halfords. Gotta say that whilst the commentry isnt great, it is adaquete IMO, Ive been getting the LM DVD's/Videos for the last few years now and its been the same guy commentating. Sure hes no Murray Walker but he does a reasonable job IMO. The DVD's IMO are slowly getting better too, this years DVD had a few more extras thrown in I beleive than the 2003 edition does, not 100% sure on that though.

All in all a great DVD, a must have for any sportscar fan IMO.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 07:21 (Ref:1102635)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Got my copy a few weeks back from Halfords. Gotta say that whilst the commentry isnt great, it is adaquete IMO, Ive been getting the LM DVD's/Videos for the last few years now and its been the same guy commentating. Sure hes no Murray Walker but he does a reasonable job IMO. The DVD's IMO are slowly getting better too, this years DVD had a few more extras thrown in I beleive than the 2003 edition does, not 100% sure on that though.

All in all a great DVD, a must have for any sportscar fan IMO.

I fully accept the guy does a decent job SALEEN, its just the pretence of a "live" commentary when we know its added on which irks me. Especially when we know that the recording of the RLM commentary is almost certainly available......
Old 21 Sep 2004, 08:24 (Ref:1102677)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really do think they need better commentary.

BTW wouldn't it be good if Channel 4 did the decent coverage they gave it a while ago
Old 21 Sep 2004, 08:35 (Ref:1102685)   #18
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ianspeed
Fortunately in the UK, the BBC showed the highlights a couple of hours after the race. Unfortunately they didn't show it at the announced time and I haven't got it all on tape, the commentary however was pretty good as I remember (Charlie Cox, ex BTCC covered the Lufthansa Mercedes incident very well).
Old 21 Sep 2004, 11:43 (Ref:1102789)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Was it actual "live" commentary though Mike, or added-on?

Funnily enough, I didn't get to see it.........
Old 21 Sep 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1102813)   #20
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Was it actual "live" commentary though Mike, or added-on?

Funnily enough, I didn't get to see it.........
That is a good question. I think it was probably added on afterwards, but it was very well done if it was. I remember being at Arnage when the Mercedes flipped and I remember the Radio Le Mans commentary going silent for a few moments.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 12:18 (Ref:1102819)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I was getting ready to eat at Le Grand Luce - just out of RLM range. Some of the guys arrived a few minutes later, having heard the news. I didn't find out what had really happened until about 2 hours later when I got back to the circuit......