Old 28 Jul 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1666772)   #1
Jamie G
Racer

England
Faversham, Kent
Jamie G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre woes and problems... Please help!

Evening all,

I'm trying desperately to find the right tyre for my CRX, but I'm having trouble locating all the available options. We have our hillclimb tyres sorted now (thanks, Waltham Services), but I can't seem to find the suppliers for half the brands of race tyres. I need a set of slicks for the car ASAP and I am struggling, getting confused, spontaneously bursting into tears etc...

So far, I've managed to locate:

Dunlop
Michelin
Pirelli
Kumho
Toyo
Avon

But I can't find much information on:

Yokohama
Bridgestone/ Firestone
BF Goodrich
Goodyear

This is despite HOURS of my boss's time spent searching the internet for size charts and dealers, none of which I seem to be able to readily find. I am especially interested in Yokohama's and Bridgestones.

Can anyone help? I would be very interested to hear what you all choose out of preference and WHERE YOU BUY THEM, for races of DTRC length and some tyre life (I'm not made of money!). BTW we're running 6Jx14 rims but I can change to 15's if I have to.

All help gratefully received

Jamie
Old 28 Jul 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1666838)   #2
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heyup mate i wouldnt bother with slicks. get some toyo 888s. gareth porter had some on his super fast 205 at rockingham and swears by em.unless your made of money that is!!!!!! you will also be eligable for lots more races with 888s,dunlops or yokos with similar tread.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1666882)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Yokohama competition dealer = Adams & Page in High Wycombe, 01494 525971
www.adamsandpage.co.uk
HTH
Old 30 Jul 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1667802)   #4
Jamie G
Racer

England
Faversham, Kent
Jamie G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys,

Thanks for the information, 14's are not easy to come by nowadays and I reckon I'm going to have to switch to 15's in the winter. So for now I reckon it's either Toyo or Yoko A048's for the rest of the season.

What's the difference? I reckon it's all about personal preference. I think a cheap set of Yoko's and once I flame them then get a set of decent 15's in the winter...

Any thoughts?
Old 30 Jul 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1668118)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Yokos (048 and 032s) will tend to go off on a hot day after about ten to 15 minutes, don't know anything about Toyos though.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1668156)   #6
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie G
Hey guys,

Thanks for the information, 14's are not easy to come by nowadays and I reckon I'm going to have to switch to 15's in the winter. So for now I reckon it's either Toyo or Yoko A048's for the rest of the season.

What's the difference? I reckon it's all about personal preference. I think a cheap set of Yoko's and once I flame them then get a set of decent 15's in the winter...

Any thoughts?
Jamie - Hi I run the black Astra in the DTRC, and am currently running Toyo Proxes (888's) -Have run them at Snetterton,Combe and Brands so far , and they seem to be lasting well.
My own opinion is that they are not as good as new slicks, but better than old ones, or going out and buying a set of the wrong compound slicks. They seem predictable and have lasted the distance in the TRC races so far.
I got them from Motorsport wheels in Tilbury ( 195 x 15 ) and bought half a dozen at £60 each inc vat.
At the first round out on these (Snetterton) Alan the Toyo technical man was there and gave some invaluable advice - took tyre temperatures, hot pressures etc and gave some useful suggestions.
I probably won't be at the next Brands round, but should be back at Lydden !
Old 31 Jul 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1668617)   #7
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
George Polley Motorsport for Yokohama - http://www.polleymotorsport.co.uk/ - there's size charts on there, e.g. http://www.polleymotorsport.co.uk/tyres/msport/A048.htm. I've been using A048Rs in open races on my Caterham and found them to be excellent - I've heard them compared to ACB10s (but much better wet weather performance)