Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 28 Feb 2013, 20:25 (Ref:3212394)   #1
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Do you keep your old race programmes?

In the title, do you keep your race old programmes and result sheets? I've got them going back to when I started racing in 2001 and just wondered if anyone keeps them. I'm having a clear out so I think they'll be going in the bin tomorrow.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3212406)   #2
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to keep them I the old days when I was still racing. But in the end nobody looks at them so they ended up in the bin.
Maybe I was a bit ashamed to have a look how bad I was.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3212410)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have a large collection from Donington from 1977. I now feel the need to reclaim some space but don't know what to do with them. Trying out some Goodwood ones on eBay failed to get any interest so I don't feel very motivated by that route.

But I hate throwing things away!

Jim
Old 28 Feb 2013, 21:24 (Ref:3212413)   #4
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I keep every quali and result sheet including lap charts and read them 'analy' again and again - programmes less so (mainly as i'm always a late entry or not in) and they tend to get lost or abused by the wifey.

My guess is that as i get more experienced and intuitive, i'll get less OCD about reading numbers and will be able to tell if it was a good lap!
Old 28 Feb 2013, 21:34 (Ref:3212414)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
My main reason for keeping them is cos my name's in them but then I think, if I died tomorrow, they'd be put in the bin anyway.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3212596)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Although I haven't kept them all I have a fair number going back to the 60s covering different types of 2&4 wheeled racing that I have done.
What is really interesting is looking at who else I was racing with and a fair few "famous names" pop up from future rock stars to F1 and saloon car drivers.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Mar 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3212808)   #7
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People always love browsing forums and checkout out nostalgic threads full of photos and timesheets/programmes. Not so many from the 80s/90s online yet but I dare say more than a few have been binned under similar circumstances.

Is a box of them or two, taking up too much room?
Old 5 Mar 2013, 17:24 (Ref:3214651)   #8
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i used to before the ex girlfriend frauded me out of 30 grand.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 22:42 (Ref:3214792)   #9
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
In the title, do you keep your race old programmes and result sheets? I've got them going back to when I started racing in 2001 and just wondered if anyone keeps them. I'm having a clear out so I think they'll be going in the bin tomorrow.
FWIW I originally used to keep everything and had a whole folder for each year I'd raced. When it started taking up too much space, I had a clear out and kept just the programmes, quali sheets, results sheets and photos I'd bought. After over a decade even that got a bit much. So I went through all of it and for each year, just kept the best couple of results sheets, a few of the best photos, and any programmes I'd happened to get my picture in. All fitted neatly into one pocket folder which I've put away in case grand children might be interested!
Old 6 Mar 2013, 09:04 (Ref:3214949)   #10
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to, but it all got to much. I think my Mums still got a few trophys in her loft but I've kept nothing - it's history!
Old 7 Mar 2013, 14:24 (Ref:3215564)   #11
Tim 27
Racer

England
March,Cambs
Tim 27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still have the programmes of every meeting I have attended since 74 (when I was 7)!
They used to live in the garage, but fear of them getting damp now sees them living under my bed. (And yes, I've already heard all of the jokes as to what us blokes should be keeping under our beds!).
No room for anything else under there as there are too many, and they have had more use of late due to several historical motor racing groups appearing on Facebook.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 19:14 (Ref:3225189)   #12
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep keep mine and always looking out for more to add to my collection has to be Rallycross related pre 92......
Old 23 May 2014, 12:08 (Ref:3409349)   #13
JMLB
Rookie

JMLB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I have all the programmes for meetings I have attended as a spectator back to 1966 and they are much more useful these days as there are websites out there looking for scans of covers, entry lists etc. In actual fact i am just now doing that very thing for the Racing Sports Car website.

John Brown
Old 24 May 2014, 11:41 (Ref:3409768)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I only keep my Le Mans programmes. I have them all going back to my first of 28 straight visits in 1986, plus one of two others from earlier years.
Old 24 May 2014, 14:52 (Ref:3409847)   #15
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've kept all my results sheets & programmes since I started racing, and I still have the ones from my tarmac rallying days back in the early/mid-nineties.

I'm a bit with Tim on this one - I think it's mainly because my name's on them! Although it is sometimes useful to look back and see what lap times you managed in different cars, to see if you really are getting any quicker, or just kidding yourself!

I should add that I am a bit of a hoarder, so it should come as no surprise...

Last edited by Paul D; 24 May 2014 at 14:54. Reason: Added a bit.
Old 24 May 2014, 15:15 (Ref:3409857)   #16
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mine all went in the bin along with quite a few of the smaller trophies I got just for turning up plus one or two of the bigger ones and I've even chucked the latest program from three weeks ago.
Old 24 May 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3410023)   #17
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have got some in the attic from when I started racing in the 60s that make interesting reading with future "stars" of saloon and F1 racing along side of me !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Jun 2014, 12:00 (Ref:3415165)   #18
CLIP-Motorsport
Rookie

England
CLIP-Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't be too quick to bin them, a friend of mine made sold off some old stock car programmes, a few of them made a lot more money than you would imagine!
Old 15 Jun 2014, 23:37 (Ref:3422336)   #19
The Happy Track Fan
Racer

Canada
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The Happy Track Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not a racer, just an avid fan.

I would say that I have over 200 race programs over different types of racing series and circuits over the years. Champ Car, Indy Car, Formula One, IMSA GTP and GTO, World Sports Cars, ALMS, Grand-Am, Can-Am, Club Racing, you name it.

I may have the biggest collection of Mosport Park/Mosport International Raceway/Canadian Tire Motorsports Park race programs in North America, dating back from the Mid 1970's to present day.

I even managed to save some of my dad's old racing programs before I started collecting them.

Any programs I have with custom designed artwork on them are my favourites, just from an aesthetic point of view. A few old ones from Watkins Glen, especially the 1970's, are part of my collection. I love reading old articles from The Glen, especially when they used to have "Avoid The Bog" in the do's and dont's section!!
Old 22 Jun 2014, 22:18 (Ref:3425101)   #20
JMLB
Rookie

JMLB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you know about the website called http://www.progcovers.com/motor/index.html where they are trying to display the covers of as many motor racing programmes as possible?

Looking at all the Mosport covers on there it is possible that you have already contributed but if you have not and there are some gaps you can fill I am sure they would be glad to hear from you.
Old 19 Sep 2014, 23:06 (Ref:3455307)   #21
philip seaman
Rookie

philip seaman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have kept all the photos, programmes, qualli and race times for every race since my first race in 1989 to the present...even when driving other peoples cars.
It seems like once I started collecting them I would make sure not to forget them....although being a bit of a hoarder/collector might have something to do with it.
I do often look through them as they are kept in a filling cabinet in the office. As Gordon said, the names in the entry lists in the older programmes make an interesting read.