Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 7 Aug 2015, 09:04 (Ref:3564333)   #1476
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Well it is not historic but maybe histeric?
Old 7 Aug 2015, 16:33 (Ref:3564410)   #1477
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

Well it is not historic but maybe histeric?
Been there (not exactly that bridge) got the T shirt etc. I hit a bridge with a skip truck last year, I thought I'd better report it even though the bridge didn't move and there was no damage to the truck. So my company phoned the number on the bridge and they were Thames water and didn't know anything about any bridge so we then phoned BTP who in turn told network rail exactly what bridge I'd struck.
The next thing was C2C trains out of Liverpool st were shut down for a few hours and I got a mention on every traffic bulletin for the entire afternoon.

The best bit about it was I'd hit a bridge carrying the main sewers that go through east London and the railway bridge that I'd been nowhere near was 200 yards further up the road.
Old 7 Aug 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3564446)   #1478
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Been there (not exactly that bridge) got the T shirt etc. I hit a bridge with a skip truck last year, I thought I'd better report it even though the bridge didn't move and there was no damage to the truck. So my company phoned the number on the bridge and they were Thames water and didn't know anything about any bridge so we then phoned BTP who in turn told network rail exactly what bridge I'd struck.
The next thing was C2C trains out of Liverpool st were shut down for a few hours and I got a mention on every traffic bulletin for the entire afternoon.

The best bit about it was I'd hit a bridge carrying the main sewers that go through east London and the railway bridge that I'd been nowhere near was 200 yards further up the road.
Train companies looking for any excuse for late trains!

One sometimes wonders how our cities, and the entire country, ever manages to function at all.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 06:23 (Ref:3564538)   #1479
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes well same thing happened to me this year at the classic . Got told by very nice lady Marshall probaly younger than my daughter that I had the wrong wrist band on and that tomorrow being Saturday I would not be allowed on the pit wall . Hey ho the world's gone mad . She did come along to the BBQ .
The BBC was probably the most dangerous activity taking place!
Old 9 Aug 2015, 20:49 (Ref:3564963)   #1480
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Grrrrrrr broken down in Belgium . Lost all my air . Sometimes I blooming hate my life .
Old 10 Aug 2015, 05:00 (Ref:3565049)   #1481
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
There is only one good thing about breaking down and that is
Old 10 Aug 2015, 05:01 (Ref:3565050)   #1482
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
When you have fixed it !!!!!!!😄😄😄😄😄
Old 10 Aug 2015, 09:54 (Ref:3565080)   #1483
Jan Biekens
Rookie

Jan Biekens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for transporting the Stangie Iain. Hope you don't have secret visitors again while crossing the channel. See you at Zandvooort
Old 10 Aug 2015, 10:30 (Ref:3565084)   #1484
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Biekens View Post
Thanks for transporting the Stangie Iain. Hope you don't have secret visitors again while crossing the channel. See you at Zandvooort
Ah you beat me to it . I was going to wind you up by saying I had to use the stangi to go and get the new parts for compressor
Old 10 Aug 2015, 11:37 (Ref:3565102)   #1485
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
When you have fixed it !!!!!!!😄😄😄😄😄
That's a relief, didn't enjoy leaving you there and legging it to Calais.

Picking up on Nick's cycling in paddocks and spectator areas, if bikes are banned, then perhaps the following need to be as well...

Roller skates / blades
Leg propelled scooters
Electric and ICE powered scooters
Segways
Strange single wheel powered contraptions seen recently
Motor cycles / mopeds / scooters
Quads

What have I missed out?

There is a lack of constancy at circuits as well. Monza 2013- absolutely no cycl in paddock. This year, not mentioned on two visits. Silverstone Classic, previous years, crash helmets must be worn when riding Scooters etc between paddocks. This year, hardly a crash hat to be seen. And at virtually every European circuit you visit, paddock marshals fly around on mopeds or scooters- with virtually none wearing a crash hat.....

At OldTimer last w/end, the paddock was hectic as ever, with everyone from spectator with dog, to race cars, to ambulances and recovery trucks, to arctics using the same route. Then there were the all the people using methods of transport mentioned above! Only saw one person come a cropper- when they walked backwards into an E Type trying to reach the collecting area, the car being driven extremely carefully at the time.....

Old 10 Aug 2015, 14:32 (Ref:3565124)   #1486
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That's a relief, didn't enjoy leaving you there and legging it to Calais.

Picking up on Nick's cycling in paddocks and spectator areas, if bikes are banned, then perhaps the following need to be as well...

Roller skates / blades
Leg propelled scooters
Segways
Quads

What have I missed out?

There is a lack of constancy at circuits as well. Monza 2013- absolutely no cycl in paddock. This year, not mentioned on two visits. Silverstone Classic, previous years, crash helmets must be worn when riding Scooters etc between paddocks. This year, hardly a crash hat to be seen. And at virtually every European circuit you visit, paddock marshals fly around on mopeds or scooters- with virtually none wearing a crash hat.....

At OldTimer last w/end, the paddock was hectic as ever, with everyone from spectator with dog, to race cars, to ambulances and recovery trucks, to arctics using the same route. Then there were the all the people using methods of transport mentioned above! Only saw one person come a cropper- when they walked backwards into an E Type trying to reach the collecting area, the car being driven extremely carefully at the time.....

I was going to mention the Continental dogs. Seems they are OK in the USA as well.

Surely though the most dangerous things on the paddock are all those cars with numbers stuck on them rushing around disturbing the peace?

I'm certain H&S will latch on to that one day and insist on movement alarms, highviz stripes and daytime running lights together with a person walking in front with a flag of some sort - probably dayglo yellow.

Exemption for Goodwood obviously ....

Old 10 Aug 2015, 17:37 (Ref:3565156)   #1487
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just about 24 hours after leaving the ring I've biked to the pub and having a proper beer. Good weekend made better with mike as team manager even though he keeps making me eat salad !😝
Old 10 Aug 2015, 19:33 (Ref:3565181)   #1488
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Just about 24 hours after leaving the ring I've biked to the pub and having a proper beer. Good weekend made better with mike as team manager even though he keeps making me eat salad !😝
He what?

Salad?

Good grief ....
Old 10 Aug 2015, 22:12 (Ref:3565212)   #1489
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Mike Bell;3565102]That's a relief, didn't enjoy leaving you there and legging it to Calais.

Roller skates / blades
Leg propelled scooters
Segways
Quads

What have I missed out?

"Pedestrians"....
Old 11 Aug 2015, 06:20 (Ref:3565254)   #1490
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
But salad as well as beers, strudels, ice creams, cakes, fried potatoes and chips........

Think Grant has spotted the answer to paddock congestion- get rid of all the racing cars!

Sorted......
Old 11 Aug 2015, 09:37 (Ref:3565276)   #1491
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My own report on the Oldtimer GP is that currywurst mit pommes frite und mayo with a pint of Bittburger is still pretty good but wearing the shirt I had to did not make my weekend very easy...! Funny how a logo can change a life
Old 11 Aug 2015, 10:32 (Ref:3565289)   #1492
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Louis, I misread that as 'skirt' to start with ... quite worrying!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 11 Aug 2015, 10:57 (Ref:3565291)   #1493
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
My own report on the Oldtimer GP is that currywurst mit pommes frite und mayo with a pint of Bittburger is still pretty good but wearing the shirt I had to did not make my weekend very easy...! Funny how a logo can change a life
Apart from the logo, Louis, those shirts are very white! Not best for eating currywurst etc........ Perhaps your employers could do a black version for such occasions!

Old 11 Aug 2015, 11:06 (Ref:3565293)   #1494
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Hmmmmm what about those nasty fags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11 Aug 2015, 11:54 (Ref:3565304)   #1495
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Apart from the logo, Louis, those shirts are very white! Not best for eating currywurst etc........ Perhaps your employers could do a black version for such occasions!

Quote:
Hmmmmm what about those nasty fags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Umh, well, with a black shirt I would like Darth Vader and trust me, I prefer to look like a Jedi And about fags... Yeah, everyone has a bad habit
Old 11 Aug 2015, 14:52 (Ref:3565337)   #1496
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Umh, well, with a black shirt I would like Darth Vader and trust me, I prefer to look like a Jedi And about fags... Yeah, everyone has a bad habit
But if you wear a habit although you might look a little like Darth Vader at least it would be black and perhaps more suitable when eating the food?

That said you might get some very odd looks from people around you.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 18:09 (Ref:3565375)   #1497
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think this is a very bad time to re-launch a Black Shirt campaign....given the Calais Crossing thread content!
Old 11 Aug 2015, 18:53 (Ref:3565380)   #1498
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I think this is a very bad time to re-launch a Black Shirt campaign....given the Calais Crossing thread content!
A shirt might not cover the needs ... or so one would assume.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 19:40 (Ref:3565391)   #1499
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
A shirt might not cover the needs ... or so one would assume.
In a black shirt and a black skirt, why I might even fancy hi ..........!

Sowwy Duckie, did not mean to embawwas you.
Old 12 Aug 2015, 05:45 (Ref:3565497)   #1500
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Like eating salad?
Iain, perhaps if you leave Mike dehind next time youll be able to have a nice healthy pizza.