Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 Nov 2018, 23:08 (Ref:3863687)   #651
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
I guess this photo was really a meaningful one for the team. The last hoorah for the team.

I happened to be walking by while the PR Director and team photographer put this shot together. It took about 30-45 minutes to get everything right. Afterwards, I walked up to the PR Director and said, "Thank you, for doing this for us."

She replied, "You think we..." and then she smiled and said, "Anything for the Fans!"

Last edited by CyberMotor; 16 Nov 2018 at 23:14.
Old 16 Nov 2018, 23:18 (Ref:3863689)   #652
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hadn't noticed before how different the front end treatment was for the 2 cars. I think I like the 2 with more black over the 22 and the green. But I have always liked the "Nissan" DPi over the others, it's not much but the livery works very well on it
Old 18 Nov 2018, 16:44 (Ref:3863997)   #653
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
As for staying Silver because he pays and does not generate his living mostly from racing, I would say Gold in IMSA is right as he is fast. I would say limiting that to GTD should be required, if he wants to bring the funds to run a P2 car than he should be Silver again. He is MUCH faster than Christina so I don't think that's a fair comparison.
He might be faster than Christina, but she's doing nothing different than he is, she's racing full time and has won the championship two times over. It seems like he's being punished for being quick. Are there any other Gold drivers who run IMSA that pay to race?

I'm curious what Mike's input is on this.
Old 18 Nov 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3864015)   #654
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
He might be faster than Christina, but she's doing nothing different than he is, she's racing full time and has won the championship two times over. It seems like he's being punished for being quick. Are there any other Gold drivers who run IMSA that pay to race?

I'm curious what Mike's input is on this.
Punished because he's quick? His skills are as good as some pros so because he pays he should only be Silver for all time? I don't recall any part of the rules that say he can't be gold because he's not a pro.
Old 18 Nov 2018, 23:04 (Ref:3864053)   #655
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
For the brief moment I decided to tune in to the circle jerk going on at Homestead I was most pleased to see this advertisement up on the screen almost right away!

Very Exciting! The Roar is just around the bend!

Even more pleasing was an Indycar ad of the same nature advertising the upcoming season followed it right afterwards!
Old 18 Nov 2018, 23:25 (Ref:3864061)   #656
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
For the brief moment I decided to tune in to the circle jerk going on at Homestead I was most pleased to see this advertisement up on the screen almost right away!

Very Exciting! The Roar is just around the bend!

Even more pleasing was an Indycar ad of the same nature advertising the upcoming season followed it right afterwards!

Shouldn't be surprising to see IMSA on there - not only does NBCSN have it now, but it's a NASCAR-owned series so they'll want eyeballs on it as well. The actual -and welcome- surprise is the IndyCar one since only one involved party would want that one up.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 00:51 (Ref:3864076)   #657
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=FormulaFox;3864061 The actual -and welcome- surprise is the IndyCar one since only one involved party would want that one up.[/QUOTE]

Uh-uh. Two. Indycar and NBC....

jimclark
Old 19 Nov 2018, 03:50 (Ref:3864101)   #658
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Uh-uh. Two. Indycar and NBC....

IndyCar is not involved with the NASCAR broadcast.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3864142)   #659
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
IndyCar is not involved with the NASCAR broadcast.
What has that to do with NBC promoting itself by advertising another "show" to a captive audience (of race fans, in this case), like any advertiser does when sponsoring any television program for itself?
For example, Judge Judy has nothing to do with The Young and the Restless yet CBS plugs it during the soap, no? 'Gotta satisfy the sponsors of the Judge, too, by maximizing the viewers for those sponsors. That's the TV and radio biz, don't ya know. ROI for the advertisers or they won't be back.

Last edited by jimclark; 19 Nov 2018 at 08:39.

jimclark
Old 19 Nov 2018, 11:19 (Ref:3864192)   #660
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
What has that to do with NBC promoting itself by advertising another "show" to a captive audience (of race fans, in this case), like any advertiser does when sponsoring any television program for itself?
Quite a bit.

If you'll scroll up and take another look, you'll see that my original comment specified that NBC was the only "involved party" that would want that ad broadcast at the time. You attempted to correct me by pointing out that there were two such parties - NBC and IndyCar. However, IndyCar was not involved with the broadcast, as it was a NASCAR broadcast, so while IndyCar would indeed be happy to see the ad, your correction is inaccurate because IndyCar was NOT involved with the broadcast, and as such was not an "involved party" with the broadcast.

My comment was nothing more than noting the error in your attempt to correct me. As you note, it was NBC self-promoting, which is exactly what my comments on the involved party implies.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 18:07 (Ref:3864289)   #661
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Check out the Creventic 24 hours of COTA on youtube folks. Got some familiar faces and cars in it. I tell you this pro gentleman driver series does a pretty darn good job showing IMSA of how to manage a race. You don't need a safety car/full course yellow for stalled cars and debris.

Somehow I got the impression after they did a Ben Keating interview (and this was not said directly), that another team tried to buy off Jerome Bleekomolen to join their team. My gut that it was the MacNeils, but it looks like Ben was able to resist the challenge.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 20:18 (Ref:3864306)   #662
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Quite a bit.

If you'll scroll up and take another look, you'll see that my original comment specified that NBC was the only "involved party" that would want that ad broadcast at the time. You attempted to correct me by pointing out that there were two such parties - NBC and IndyCar. However, IndyCar was not involved with the broadcast, as it was a NASCAR broadcast, so while IndyCar would indeed be happy to see the ad, your correction is inaccurate because IndyCar was NOT involved with the broadcast, and as such was not an "involved party" with the broadcast.

My comment was nothing more than noting the error in your attempt to correct me. As you note, it was NBC self-promoting, which is exactly what my comments on the involved party implies.
Au contraire. It was, and will be, NBC broadcasts of the three series races. None of the series "broadcast" anything at all. NBC, rightly, promoted the Indycar coverage, just as in my above hypothetical which aids NBC getting more "Judge" viewers from the soap advert; more eyeballs period for the sponsors of the broadcasts, which in turn rewards NBC by their continuing to sponsor; providing NBC with more revenue, which is why they're in the business of broadcasting and promoting any show.....

'Not real important anywho, is it?

jimclark
Old 19 Nov 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3864313)   #663
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Au contraire. It was, and will be, NBC broadcasts of the three series races. None of the series "broadcast" anything at all. NBC, rightly, promoted the Indycar coverage, just as in my above hypothetical which aids NBC getting more "Judge" viewers from the soap advert; more eyeballs period for the sponsors of the broadcasts, which in turn rewards NBC by their continuing to sponsor; providing NBC with more revenue, which is why they're in the business of broadcasting and promoting any show.....

And....? That doesn't make IndyCar involved with the broadcast the way NASCAR is. So when you corrected me initially, you were still wrong. It was an NBC broadcast of a NASCAR race, making NASCAR and NBC the involved parties, same as it would be with an NBC IMSA broadcast due to NASCAR owning IMSA. IndyCar is only involved in broadcasts of their own races; The choice to advertise IndyCar during NASCAR is NBC's choice alone. So your original correction is still wrong.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 21:17 (Ref:3864327)   #664
jimclark
Veteran

United States
We're off topic...I PMed ya...

jimclark
Old 19 Nov 2018, 21:19 (Ref:3864328)   #665
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
We're off topic...I PMed ya...

Only slightly. NASCAR does own IMSA, after all. ;P
Old 19 Nov 2018, 22:57 (Ref:3864360)   #666
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
More like it's a personal measuring contest and frankly you're both immature children fighting over the last toy. We get it, you're both right and cooler than I'll ever be. Move the hell on with your lives
Old 20 Nov 2018, 02:41 (Ref:3864391)   #667
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Some more relevant 'pre-possible-eventual-maybe-announcements':

Sebring (team has already confirmed Daytona): https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...r-12h-sebring/

post 2019: https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/h...rts-expansion/
Old 20 Nov 2018, 03:37 (Ref:3864402)   #668
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
"[b]Sebring (team has already confirmed Daytona): https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...r-12h-sebring/[/b}"
Had me t'inkin' "No way!....a thousand miles and then 12 hours?!". But, alas, upon reading the article, I see it would be another car. Made me reminisce, back in the day....some WSC teams would run again in Sunday's CanAm race with the same cars that they ran in Saturday's 6 Hours at Watkins Glen.

jimclark
Old 21 Nov 2018, 01:04 (Ref:3864629)   #669
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
1000 miles will almost certainly be 8 hours thus making it 20 hours in total for the weekend. Still 4 hours less than the 24H's at Daytona and Le Mans so not as extraordinary as it sounds.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 01:57 (Ref:3864634)   #670
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
1000 miles will almost certainly be 8 hours thus making it 20 hours in total for the weekend. Still 4 hours less than the 24H's at Daytona and Le Mans so not as extraordinary as it sounds.
More extraordinary than you think. Many teams consider 12 hours on Sebring's bumpy surface harsher on the cars than 24 hours at Le Mans. While one might think they're playing up just how bumpy Sebring actually is with such a claim, it's far from a stretch to say 20 hours on Sebring's surface could easily be harsher on equipment than the whole Le Mans weekend.

It actually would be QUITE extraordinary to survive around 20 hours of racing at Sebring with the same car. It's for this very reason that I'm not even remotely surprised they'll use different cars for each race. (then add in the potential issues that could arise from a catastrophic wreck)
Old 21 Nov 2018, 06:54 (Ref:3864662)   #671
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
More extraordinary than you think. Many teams consider 12 hours on Sebring's bumpy surface harsher on the cars than 24 hours at Le Mans. While one might think they're playing up just how bumpy Sebring actually is with such a claim, it's far from a stretch to say 20 hours on Sebring's surface could easily be harsher on equipment than the whole Le Mans weekend.

It actually would be QUITE extraordinary to survive around 20 hours of racing at Sebring with the same car. It's for this very reason that I'm not even remotely surprised they'll use different cars for each race. (then add in the potential issues that could arise from a catastrophic wreck)
Aside from the above ('not following as closely as I used to), do the same rules and regs apply for FIA/WEC cars and the IMSA ones?
'T'was quite easy to enter WSC cars in the CanAm as it's were far, far less restrictive. (the WSCs never had a chance at winning but the prize money even down the field at the time was exceptional).
Also, back in the day, cars were detuned from sprint race setup for enduros but with today's restrictive rules, drivetrains are pretty much bulletproof so it would be less
extraordinary but extraordinary, nonetheless...

jimclark
Old 21 Nov 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3864711)   #672
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Aside from the above ('not following as closely as I used to), do the same rules and regs apply for FIA/WEC cars and the IMSA ones?
Only difference between GTE and GTLM is different BoP/EoT settings. They would have to use different ballast and a different air restrictor in each race. Depending on the situation in IMSA, possibly a different fuel cell as well.

None of these would be difficult for them to swap out between races, but it is another good reason to use different cars.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3864718)   #673
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From looking at Magnus Racing's website page it looks like they are switching to Lamborghini for next year. http://www.magnusracing.com/home/201...an-gt3-ev.html
Old 23 Nov 2018, 15:02 (Ref:3865239)   #674
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
From looking at Magnus Racing's website page it looks like they are switching to Lamborghini for next year. http://www.magnusracing.com/home/201...an-gt3-ev.html
Well Audi better get somebody to run full time or they might as not well not pay the manufacturer fee which would stink. I guess Land/Starworks could get in full time finally. Would be cool if we can get a couple Audis for sprint series in addition.

I say sprint cup because the 2018 Daytona 24 edition showed us that a grid of 50 cars or slightly less is the ideal number. In this day of age we don't need 50+ (certainly 60 or 70 car) size grids anymore since the cars are so much more reliable. Once we get over 50 then the risk of more safety car periods increase.
Old 24 Nov 2018, 14:19 (Ref:3865458)   #675
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mazda has been testing some engine upgrades and tires in Spain recently. Not much info beyond that, but good to see the team keep pushing.

https://racer.com/2018/11/23/ambitio...-step-forward/