Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Nov 2018, 08:38 (Ref:3863744)   #476
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the link. Top stuff.
Old 17 Nov 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3863748)   #477
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having watched the incident for the first time, my initial thoughts are confirmed. Verstappen was stupid to have not allowed Ocon to unlap himself.

The speed differential between the two was significant, and Verstappen caused the clash. I cannot see that Ocon did anything wrong, and certainly did nothing to merit a stop and go penalty. He stayed out of Verstappen's way at all times, and it was Verstappen that refused to give Ocon space in which to place his car.
Old 17 Nov 2018, 09:41 (Ref:3863750)   #478
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The speed differential between the two was significant, and Verstappen caused the clash. I cannot see that Ocon did anything wrong, and certainly did nothing to merit a stop and go penalty. He stayed out of Verstappen's way at all times, and it was Verstappen that refused to give Ocon space in which to place his car.
One of the key parts, IMO, is the Red Bull Team Radio during that video:

'I have this Force India behind me pushing'
'Understood, yeah he's out on fresh supers'

Surely that is the point where the driver should realise he has nothing to gain in resisting a pass?

How many times do we hear drivers (Alonso particularly) demonstrate their awareness of other cars' positions relative to the overall race situation. It appears Max still has to develop this part of his racecraft.
Old 17 Nov 2018, 19:16 (Ref:3863806)   #479
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
How many times do we hear drivers (Alonso particularly) demonstrate their awareness of other cars' positions relative to the overall race situation. It appears Max still has to develop this part of his racecraft.
i wonder if red bull need to spell things out to him a bit more, whether he likes it or not. because like you say, it appears max isn't great at seeing the big picture, and it's the team's job to help him understand that and make sensible decisions where they're his to make.

people who get the most stick for their mistakes are usually the ones we expect more from. we ALL know how brilliant max can be.
Old 17 Nov 2018, 23:10 (Ref:3863832)   #480
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well he’s on his way to winning the championship. I’m sure he’ll polish out the dents in time
Old 18 Nov 2018, 08:23 (Ref:3863935)   #481
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys respond as if we hadn't had 31 pages of discussion about this before the video. A similar video was already posted earlier. Yes DRS gives him a pace advantages (between 0.4 and 0.7s on this track I reckon). Together with being willing to overdrive the tires (say another 0.3s for a few laps) to prove a point it may seem you're a lot faster while you're maintainable pace is not. Anyone thinks that's Ocon after the pass would've just cleared of needs a reality check.

Now what I did find interesting about the video was that the team did instruct Ocon to let Hamilton pass (which Ocon rightly ignored) however they did not communicate any word of caution for passing the much faster leading car of Verstappen in a safe manner.

Quite telling.

Video is taken off-line btw.
Old 18 Nov 2018, 09:06 (Ref:3863938)   #482
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it was over ambitious to try there. Yes Max didn't have to fight so much, but Ocon shouldn't have tried there
Old 18 Nov 2018, 10:08 (Ref:3863950)   #483
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think it was over ambitious to try there. Yes Max didn't have to fight so much, but Ocon shouldn't have tried there

If you go back over the years, you will find that the esses have always been used as an overtaking spot, partly because it gives you bites of the cherry. That is assuming that the car in front doesn't just pretend that you are not there and just cuts you off, as with Verstappen.
Old 18 Nov 2018, 11:19 (Ref:3863962)   #484
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This has to be one of the longest conversations about one incident in a GP that I've ever seen..... We need another race!
Old 18 Nov 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3863964)   #485
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
This has to be one of the longest conversations about one incident in a GP that I've ever seen..... We need another race!
We certainly do.......
Old 18 Nov 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3863982)   #486
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That video was the best way to view it. Shame it’s gone away.

Quite telling.
Old 18 Nov 2018, 13:59 (Ref:3863985)   #487
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
That video was the best way to view it. Shame it’s gone away.

Quite telling.

IMHO, it just proved that Ocon did absolutely nothing wrong, nor did he behave in a way or do anything that warranted a penalty.
Old 18 Nov 2018, 16:01 (Ref:3863993)   #488
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
If you go back over the years, you will find that the esses have always been used as an overtaking spot, partly because it gives you bites of the cherry. That is assuming that the car in front doesn't just pretend that you are not there and just cuts you off, as with Verstappen.
yeah, exactly. it's not like this happened at the hotel hairpin at monaco or anything.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 07:09 (Ref:3864129)   #489
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
IMHO, it just proved that Ocon did absolutely nothing wrong, nor did he behave in a way or do anything that warranted a penalty.
Well, if backmarkers and their teams feel the same that is a good idea to mess with the lead of the race without having a sustainable pace advantage then perhaps it is time to remove DRS for backmarkers on frontrunners alltogether. That way we can be sure they can only approach a frontrunner if there is actually a significant sustainable pace advantage.

As said before, hopefully common sense prevails and such over the top knee-jerk reactions are not neccessary.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 07:19 (Ref:3864130)   #490
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
As said before, hopefully common sense prevails and such over the top knee-jerk reactions are not neccessary.
Indeed, had Verstappen taken your advice he would have won.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 07:49 (Ref:3864133)   #491
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Indeed, had Verstappen taken your advice he would have won.
Peter, I mostly disagree with your posts, but in this case I'm afraid I have to disagree.

1 As argued before, the extent of Hamilton's engine problems was not yet apparent at the point of the incident. So this is hindsight.

2 Neither Ocon or Verstappen had a pace advantage large enough over the other to overcome the mention 0.4-0.7s advantage DRS provides at Sao Paulo. That means that they would've been in each others hair for many laps (I guess 5-10 laps) exchanging position before Ocon supersofts would've kneeled and Verstappen would've driven off (with damaged softs as well which would've made finishing the race on them more difficult). We also know Ocon (rightfully in this case) ignored the blue lights for Hamilton. So there is no reason to assume he would just let pass Verstappen, when he had just risked so much to pass just before.

In such case the average lap time you loose is at least a second and mostly more. That was much more than the pace advantage Verstappen had over Hamilton at that point. It would've have brought Hamilton right back into the game.

As said before Verstappen should not have assumed Ocon wasn't there, but having "satellite" backmarkers without genuine pace advantage mess up the race lead by trying to fight passed the leader is worrying. I have yet to see anyone even attempting to make an argument why Ocon's pace would've been significantly higher apart from a video of a Mercedes engine with DRS storming along side a tire nursing Renault engine in a higher downforce chassis (which as argued by someone else doesn't tell us anything a bout the pace over a whole lap).

Luckily it is not frequent enough too warrant much further action rather than make the do and don't perhaps a bit more clear in the briefing/rule book.

Last edited by Taxi645; 19 Nov 2018 at 08:03.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 07:59 (Ref:3864135)   #492
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To finish first, first you have to finish. If Verstappen had left room, and you can't deny there was room, he would have won the race. Whether Ocon was right or not, to turn in on him when there was no need was foolish, if not petulance personified.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 08:30 (Ref:3864146)   #493
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
To finish first, first you have to finish. If Verstappen had left room, and you can't deny there was room, he would have won the race. Whether Ocon was right or not, to turn in on him when there was no need was foolish, if not petulance personified.
I can't and haven't denied there was room. However there is no further use in discussing if someone states something, someone else makes an argument against it and the response is merely an iteration of the original statement.

I repeat: "I have yet to see anyone even attempting to make an argument why Ocon's pace would've been significantly higher apart from a video of a Mercedes engine with DRS storming along side a tire nursing Renault engine in a higher downforce chassis (which as argued by someone else, doesn't tell us anything about the pace over a whole lap)."

The above would've been a requirement for guaranteeing Verstappen the racing win by letting Ocon pass.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 08:39 (Ref:3864152)   #494
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whether Ocons pace would've, could've or should've been better doesn't actually matter. He could've made the pass and immediately been 2 seconds a lap slower. It doesn't actually matter. Ocon was in the wrong and he decided he was going to make that daft attempt at a pass, regardless of his speed. Fighting him was going to gain nothing.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 08:40 (Ref:3864153)   #495
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Proof? The proof is that he caught Verstappen at the first corner.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3864169)   #496
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah an overtaking spot between cars that are on the same lap, not a car trying to unlap itself
Old 19 Nov 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3864173)   #497
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yeah an overtaking spot between cars that are on the same lap, not a car trying to unlap itself

As far as I am aware, there is no rule (nor do I believe that there has ever been one) that states that drivers are only permitted to unlap themselves at certain places on a circuit.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 10:39 (Ref:3864180)   #498
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It doesn't actually matter. Ocon was in the wrong and he decided he was going to make that daft attempt at a pass, regardless of his speed.
I don't necessarily agree that Ocon was in the wrong here but that is what the stewards decided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Fighting him was going to gain nothing.
But this I agree with wholeheartedly.

Edit: We have five days to go to the AD GP so let's keep the forum post count going.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 11:07 (Ref:3864189)   #499
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Edit: We have five days to go to the AD GP so let's keep the forum post count going.
How many laps do you reckon the round in circles ‘discussion’ can add to the total by then?
Old 19 Nov 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3864193)   #500
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
How many laps do you reckon the round in circles ‘discussion’ can add to the total by then?
Depends on whether the conversation leaders allow those is further back to unlap ourselves