Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jul 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3839573)   #1526
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Here we go here we go . My first car was a herald .Man I think that car thought me a lot about driving .I quickly progeress to a mini then frog eye sprite .Happy happy days
Old 28 Jul 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3839581)   #1527
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Any way me and Mrs Delta having weekend off away from racing . Torquay Devon . Very pleasant but a bit life a bit dull and slow
Old 28 Jul 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3839608)   #1528
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Any way me and Mrs Delta having weekend off away from racing . Torquay Devon . Very pleasant but a bit life a bit dull and slow

What, don't they do beer and pizza down in Devon?
Old 28 Jul 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3839625)   #1529
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Used to be a stock car track at Newton Abbot to liven things up. I think that probably disappeared years ago.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 21:20 (Ref:3839626)   #1530
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's a headline I hardly expected to see on the BBC web site.

"Woman wakes up to 3ft python"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44993331
Old 28 Jul 2018, 23:55 (Ref:3839672)   #1531
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

A bedsnake
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Jul 2018, 06:06 (Ref:3839730)   #1532
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Wow, we've been in Dartmouth since Wednesday. Back home today though.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 06:20 (Ref:3839735)   #1533
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
It’s a bit wet and windy Pete
Old 29 Jul 2018, 06:28 (Ref:3839736)   #1534
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sure is.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 08:55 (Ref:3839784)   #1535
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are you two discussing the weather down there, or what?
Old 29 Jul 2018, 09:04 (Ref:3839787)   #1536
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Funnily enough my wife had a not dis-similar experience the other night.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3839796)   #1537
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Funnily enough my wife had a not dis-similar experience the other night.

Show off oriented you are then but look: its said 3 feet not 0,3 inches
Old 29 Jul 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3839837)   #1538
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Did you spot the differences between the bicycle you used ant the Tour de France ones? They still need to push hard on the pedals.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 12:26 (Ref:3839882)   #1539
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post

Show off oriented you are then but look: its said 3 feet not 0,3 inches

Not necessarily Gerard.

After all, Bob has not made a claim that he was present at the time.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3839951)   #1540
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Not necessarily Gerard.After all, Bob has not made a claim that he was present at the time.
Spot on!
Old 29 Jul 2018, 16:12 (Ref:3839974)   #1541
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not necessarily Gerard.

After all, Bob has not made a claim that he was present at the time.
So where were you at the time? My solicitor wants to know.

Gerard as a Frenchman you would not understand Imperial measurements, so I shall ignore your innuendo.

Did you notice that the Tour De France was not won by a home rider?

Vive la Tour.

Geraint Thomas has certainly showed the over rated, over paid, over praised soccer mob how a proper sportsman can succeed.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3839975)   #1542
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ami Robert, you can't imagine the nightmare it is for an average frenchman to restore or maintain an english car. Its really hard to find bolts and nuts in the proper quality and when we ask for imperial the answer is: american!

Yes, the Sky team made a fantastic job during three long and hard weeks. The speeds they achieve are amazing. More than 100 kph is fast. Really. Last but not least, your Thomas looks happy, just happy. Its good! C'est la fête…
Old 29 Jul 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3839976)   #1543
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
So where were you at the time? My solicitor wants to know.

Gerard as a Frenchman you would not understand Imperial measurements, so I shall ignore your innuendo.

Did you notice that the Tour De France was not won by a home rider?

Vive la Tour.

Geraint Thomas has certainly showed the over rated, over paid, over praised soccer mob how a proper sportsman can succeed.
Yes. Get a severe dose of asthma.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 17:44 (Ref:3840005)   #1544
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What sounds strange is that the other teams, before the start, seemed to compete for the second place. Froome, Thomas and their mates are a league. They work harder and they win. Year after year. Good management it seems.
And i can't understand why some people having hostile attitude are not punished for it. They should be obliged to ride the Tourmalet or another mountain twice a day fo that. It calms down…
Old 29 Jul 2018, 20:27 (Ref:3840033)   #1545
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Haha! I spent the weekend at the kart track at Dunkeswell just above Honiton. Was glad to get back on Sunday morning and find the awning still in place!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Jul 2018, 20:42 (Ref:3840039)   #1546
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little local news to cheer up a dull Sunday evening...

Last Friday evening somebody decided to try to collect their jet ski from Felixstowe seafront by (possibly illegally) driving onto the beach to load it onto to a trailer attached to a Range Rover. Rather unsurprisingly, they got stuck in the soft sand and shingle meaning the 4x4 was claimed by the sea where it stayed overnight.

Saturday morning two Ford Transit flatbed recovery units were sent to pull the Range Rover from the sea - to do this they backed on to the seafront where all the soft sand and shingle was with the inevitable result.

They then hooked up a BMX X5 parked on the prom to one of the Transits to try to pull it out with no success - it's not clear from the video if the strop or the towing eye broke.

Eventually, they were forced to call in a "proper" recovery unit of the type normally hitched up to commercial vehicles with decent, thick strops to do the job properly.

Local paper report: http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ra...towe-1-5628425
Video by town facebook page: https://en-gb.facebook.com/everythin...5354055141521/

Nearest thing I've seen to that in the past was where a car had slid down the infield slope on wet grass at the Craner Curves at Donington Park and the pick-up rescue unit backed partway down the same slope and just wheelspun!
Old 29 Jul 2018, 21:29 (Ref:3840052)   #1547
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
First rule of recovery if the surface is suspect.....keep the truck on the hard stuff and use the winch / ratchet straps to pull the recovered vehicle nearer to you Used to have to do recovery of burnt out and other abandoned cars for local authority, and learnt that lesson very quickly
Old 30 Jul 2018, 06:04 (Ref:3840102)   #1548
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I very much remember many many years ago a tanker delivering heating oil to a house up a very narrow track next to me slipping off the edge into a bog. A heavy recovery truck (ex forces, I think) stopped about 100 metres away on my grass and put wedge anchor thingies under all its own wheels before winching the tanker back onto the track. Looked easy but the mess it made of the grass took some work......
Old 30 Jul 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3840145)   #1549
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When an interesting job came up I was in the habit of volunteering myself (especially if it was on a weekend and there was a risk of me having to pay someone double time). Sometime in the early '80s a customer who exported Land Rover spares asked us to cover a 'show' near Guildford, using our artic trailer as a sort of mobile shop cum warehouse. Assuming it was the Surrey county show (same weekend) we took the job on. Turned out to be the Southern Counties Land Rover Club's annual jamboree in an old quarry. It rained all weekend (which they thought was great) but come Sunday evening we had no chance of getting the trailer out. At one point we had 7 Landies hooked up to the front and for the final stretch a single series 1 got us out. Wish I had a photo of that, it must have looked ridiculous. After we had arrived on the Friday they had strung bunting along the entrance track - anyone pottering down the main road would have encountered a Land Rover mudball with a white-as-a-sheet driver burst out of the forest pursued by a smoke belching Mack truck trailing miles of bunting and not stopping for anything. Not a sight you're likely to forget in a hurry
Old 30 Jul 2018, 11:07 (Ref:3840148)   #1550
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’ve been trying to find out when a dead EV Charging point in Norwich will be fixed. It’s just coming up to two weeks since I reported it, so getting a bit peeved.

Eventually get to talk to a customer services guy this morning and get the truth. Because the charger is at a Rail Station they have to apply to Network Rail in writing for a permit to enter the premises to fix it. They also have to submit a risk assessment..... The whole process can take up to 4 weeks- no wonder the rail network is in such a state!

Give me strength.