Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 15 Mar 2002, 10:11 (Ref:235566)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Suspension set-up

Are there any books or other sources of material providing basic information on set-up for saloons/sportscars?

I race a Jaguar XJS and the suspension changes are limited (adjustable shocks, tyre pressures...), but it would be nice to have general understanding of what can be done.

I have been racing for a year now and feel that there would be benefits to improving the feel of the car. For example the car handles pretty well, but it does have quite dramatic lift-off oversteer. This is as expected for a car of this type, but it would be nice to perhaps dial some of this out. Obviously on a clear track this is never a problem, but when something unusual happens then sometimes it is unavoidable.

Is there any advice out there?

Thanks.
Old 15 Mar 2002, 12:08 (Ref:235627)   #2
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are lots of books out there. I have found the books by Allan Staniforth to be very interesting and easy to understand. Competition Car Suspension (www.haynes.com) is one of his books. He also runs a consultancy business mainly for hillclimb cars.

Try and get a copy of Grand Prix Legends for the PC as this is one great way of understanding how a car handles. I say this as it teaches you how to set up a car and if you do get it wrong it is only a game and if you crash it will not cost anything.

Other than that get your car in CCC in the clinic and get your full car looked at. I think it is also free.
Old 16 Mar 2002, 22:54 (Ref:236913)   #3
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"Tune to win" by Carrol Smith is a very good book. and as far as I know the only way not to get lift off oversteer is not to lift.
Old 17 Mar 2002, 11:27 (Ref:237366)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by mattray
as far as I know the only way not to get lift off oversteer is not to lift.
! !
It certainly is the best way. I understand that the old Lotus Elise used to suffer from it quite a bit (the only handling deficiency of that car?), but the new one doesn't so they have obviously done something. Obviously it will always occur to a certain extent can this be reduced.

Cheers for the book suggestions - I'll check them out...