Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Aug 2013, 05:59 (Ref:3294546)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
CAMS Cancels National Formula Ford Series!!!

From the annals of stupid things CAMS does, added to this is their bewildering decision to cancel the National Formula Ford championship next year

With so many complaints about the lack of support categories at different events, losing a National series isnt going to help

Would the likes of Mr Mostert or Mr Percat have cone to notice if their speed and racecraft werent on display? Would Mr D'Alberto have been picked up by HYL if their talent scouts hadnt seen the pilot racing a Formula Ford at the AGP?

Meantime, racing businesses relying on the category for their livelihoods, like Spectrum, like Mygale, like Sonic, like Minda, like Evans.. All now banished to lower level state competition

boooooo...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Aug 2013, 06:11 (Ref:3294548)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Story Here

Old 27 Aug 2013, 06:26 (Ref:3294550)   #3
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I imagine the main problem is the high cost of paying to have the races televised.

It's a pity someone like Tony Quinn doesn't put his arm around the series.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 06:54 (Ref:3294562)   #4
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Quinn can only do so much, maybe an opportunity for Betty

Oh and yeah, poor form CAMS
Old 27 Aug 2013, 07:22 (Ref:3294567)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd imagine cost containment was not high on their agenda.

It's a shame, but that's how it is these days.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 07:42 (Ref:3294573)   #6
sjames
Rookie

sjames should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the demize of FF what category now becomes the first stepping stone from karting for our future stars?
Old 27 Aug 2013, 07:50 (Ref:3294579)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Aussie Racing Cars?
Old 27 Aug 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3294603)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 27 Aug 2013, 09:58 (Ref:3294627)   #9
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
From the annals of stupid things CAMS does, added to this is their bewildering decision to cancel the National Formula Ford championship next year

With so many complaints about the lack of support categories at different events, losing a National series isnt going to help

Would the likes of Mr Mostert or Mr Percat have cone to notice if their speed and racecraft werent on display? Would Mr D'Alberto have been picked up by HYL if their talent scouts hadnt seen the pilot racing a Formula Ford at the AGP?

Meantime, racing businesses relying on the category for their livelihoods, like Spectrum, like Mygale, like Sonic, like Minda, like Evans.. All now banished to lower level state competition

boooooo...
It is a sad day to read this, but why pick on CAMS, Since the interception of AVESO / V8SUPERCARS , a lot of othe national series have suffered the same fate, Some interesting points that need to looked at:
1. Cost of running around with V8 Supercars as a national series
2. THe actual formula, Formula Ford, or do we go like Mazda in the states
3. FOrd - we will still be in Aust , like yeah, North America speak for your shafted
4. Who has the Dollars to run this category
5 Could it find a home in the Shannons Nationals

it was interesting to read an article the other week from a retired veteran, who said, V8's have actualy assisted in the destruction of some of the former national championships. Most likley becuase it soaks up the sponsors dollars , but gives little back,ie Formula Ford.

We cant go on blaming CAMs, THere is so much disharmy in Aust Motorsport at the moment, too many categorys all fighting for the same sponsorship dollar, different organisations running it their way, yet none will sit down discuss and sort it . so we can get back to an alternate to V8 Supercars directing the future of Motosport in Australia, and just maybe go back to having some National Championships not reliant of V8.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 10:59 (Ref:3294656)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It is CAMS' fault. They were aware of the issues for some time according to the attached articles and other comment around the category's national demise. Blaming a successful category for the demise of an unrelated one doesnt seem to make loads of sense to me.

So it needs a left field solution?

Has anyone thought to offer the category management rights of Formula Ford to V8Supercar?

Its not as silly as it sounds...

Imagine if they were to take control of the FF's as the feeder series into the Dunlop development championship, or the main game.

That they were to promote it, link teams in the big leagues with those in the smaller ones. Drivers as well. Offering the equivalent of a cradle to grave solution. And if pitched right, that Gold Star might become theirs also.

Potentially fills the teams in all series up with future pilots, assures that FF will be on the V8Supercar program pretty much wherever it goes.. and the lack of crossover of anything at all between these 3 series means they can co exist and not kill anything.

The motorsport world needs to be a little entrepreneurial in this instance...
Old 27 Aug 2013, 11:16 (Ref:3294665)   #11
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dessert

What a sad day for Australian Motorsport..... V8 supercars hang your head in shame.
Formula Fords have been THE feeder category for Australian Motorsport and you keep kicking them from pillar to post, one year they're on tv next year they're not, they're expected to travel all over Australia with the v8s and they aren't even allowed to sell merchandise.
Put your hands in your pockets v8 supercars and help the Formula Fords who have provided the start of the careers of most of the v8 drivers we see today. Not happy jan
Old 27 Aug 2013, 11:30 (Ref:3294672)   #12
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As GTR suggests; if you can't beat them, join them.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3294695)   #13
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It is CAMS' fault. They were aware of the issues for some time according to the attached articles and other comment around the category's national demise. Blaming a successful category for the demise of an unrelated one doesnt seem to make loads of sense to me.

So it needs a left field solution?

Has anyone thought to offer the category management rights of Formula Ford to V8Supercar?

Its not as silly as it sounds...

Imagine if they were to take control of the FF's as the feeder series into the Dunlop development championship, or the main game.

That they were to promote it, link teams in the big leagues with those in the smaller ones. Drivers as well. Offering the equivalent of a cradle to grave solution. And if pitched right, that Gold Star might become theirs also.

Potentially fills the teams in all series up with future pilots, assures that FF will be on the V8Supercar program pretty much wherever it goes.. and the lack of crossover of anything at all between these 3 series means they can co exist and not kill anything.

The motorsport world needs to be a little entrepreneurial in this instance...
Yes I agree with some points but not its CAMS fault, Ford pulled out,
Simple no money no series.
If they took it on, then there would have be some masive changes:
Dev Series, You win, you cant race next year-stupid
How many pilots in the main game retire each year- any numbers
how may 17 yr olds could get a budget to follow the V8 circus around Aust?
about 12 yrs ago we had fields of 20 for FF, now???
Start in Karts, FF, then Dev , then wait for a main game to retire, long road to get a gig,

I like the left of field solution , but it want happen, as the V8's are only interested in themselves, how many other categorys have raced over the years at V8 events and haven't come back?

If we had some entrepeners, and use the ROad to Indy programe-IRL (Matthew Brabham just won) as a guide then yes it could work, but sadly , until V8's new boss realises that they loose more support each year as they want embrace any other category , then as much as I like the idea, I think they would be better off under Shannons Nationals. HAve 10 rounds in each state then a massive FF festival once a year, other wise our young guys may as as well go overseas.

I hope something does happen, it would be shame to loose this as a national championship and feeder category,
Old 27 Aug 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3294728)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The risk of FF potentially only becoming a direct feeder to V8's and not open wheel (F3 and overseas) or GT?

FF has been a revenue stream for V8SA for years and that is the problem with so many category managers being involved in Australia.

How can FF and other categories be truly sustainable while they are financially contributing to the relative success of V8SA.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3294884)   #15
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Why shouldn't the Shannon's Production Series be a feeder, it is more relevant the open wheelers.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3294913)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've heard the price to run the full series is over $200K. Not good value for a little single seater with a small 4 pot motor. I'm sure the high cost of traveling to events all over Australia is a part of it.

In any case I hope someone else picks up the category management rights.

One solution which brought the moribund FF1600 class back to the life in the USA is the Honda Fit motor, which Honda developed as a kit. I believe the cost of the kit and motor is around $12K and it runs for 5 years without a rebuild.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 21:28 (Ref:3294936)   #17
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Why are the costs that high, is it because CAMS fees are so high?
Old 27 Aug 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3294965)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It even made it to Autosport Here

Old 27 Aug 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3294986)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
FF needs to be opened up into a Formula 1600 series with essentially the same rules (steel space framed open wheelers), but a chance to run different equalized engines. Maybe add an engine claimer rule.

Having the category captured by Ford with no support is very bad for everyone participating in that category. It limits the sponsorship pool.

This category is essential for a healthy racing industry!
This category without Ford capturing it can only be better!
Old 28 Aug 2013, 01:01 (Ref:3294997)   #20
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trevor is kidding of course?
Old 28 Aug 2013, 01:35 (Ref:3295008)   #21
mha
Rookie

mha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps it's worth acknowledging that Ford supported national Aust FF for more than 40 years? A record in Australian motorsport sponsorship?
Old 28 Aug 2013, 04:37 (Ref:3295023)   #22
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this is a very sad decision, once upon a time FFord was where everyone cut their teeth in racing. But cost is a massive influence, as has been said, and what is the breakdown of those costs? Surely running on the V8SC card cannot (and isn't) cheap, but how else do these young rising stars get to show their stuff in front of large crowds, and potential sponsors/employers?

I've pulled a quote from this article... http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/08/28/...-wheel-future/
Quote:
“Certainly if there are some drivers that can compete in V8s (V8 Supercars) that’s all good and well, but the reality is that motorsport needs participation at the highest levels and Formula Ford isn’t exactly what you’d call a natural feeder towards Formula 1.”
Why isn't FFord a natural feeder series? I am not 100% sure on this, but I would imagine that a significant number of the current (and past) F1 grids have contained drivers that made the step from karts to FFord, and then upwards to F1. It teaches race craft, learning setup and teaches how to drive a mechanical-grip driven race car. And for Australian drivers, it gives a foothold into the International/European calendar, because you can show that you have results (or otherwise) in an Internationally standard formula.

Seeing as CAMS has made this decision, I would hope that FFord as a category gets together and looks at what is best for them. Whether that is to go with CAMS current plan of state series and a FFord Festival, or look at other options, I don't know and I am not a stakeholder. But I don't want to see the category die, and with it any chance of keeping young talent here for as long as possible before they go overseas to crack F1.
Old 28 Aug 2013, 05:07 (Ref:3295027)   #23
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McConkers has his fingers in alot of pies - I would have thought the load could be shared amongst a few past champions - perhaps Ingall who actually raced overseas unlike McC.

Perhaps CAMS should approach Webber given his F3 ownership with Horner

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/08/28/...-wheel-future/
Old 28 Aug 2013, 06:01 (Ref:3295035)   #24
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember that the "Australian Formula Ford Championship" was only established in 1993, its 'only' a 20 year old Championship.

Before then until the end of 1992, we had the "Formula Ford Driver To Europe Series", ironically of which Mr McConville was the last champion.

Perhaps a return to this in 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
FF needs to be opened up into a Formula 1600 series with essentially the same rules (steel space framed open wheelers), but a chance to run different equalized engines. Maybe add an engine claimer rule.

Having the category captured by Ford with no support is very bad for everyone participating in that category. It limits the sponsorship pool.

This category is essential for a healthy racing industry!
This category without Ford capturing it can only be better!
Maybe the key in there is that Formula Ford should never have dropped the Kent engine!
Old 28 Aug 2013, 07:00 (Ref:3295048)   #25
mha
Rookie

mha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Remember that the "Australian Formula Ford Championship" was only established in 1993, its 'only' a 20 year old Championship.

Before then until the end of 1992, we had the "Formula Ford Driver To Europe Series", ironically of which Mr McConville was the last champion.

Perhaps a return to this in 2014?

Maybe the key in there is that Formula Ford should never have dropped the Kent engine!
Ford wouldn't have continued the support for another 7 years if the Duratec engine hadn't been introduced. So the Championship would have stopped then .......