Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Nov 2002, 20:25 (Ref:420904)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Hakkinen didn't exist............

If Hakkinen didn't exist, would Raikkonen have got the drive with McLaren on his own merit? Sorry if this sounds like an absurd thread, but I would like to know what people think about this.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 20:27 (Ref:420909)   #2
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes. Raikkonen is every bit as good as Hakkinen has ever been. Peter Sauber only 'discovered' him because he wanted Button, and Button's ex-manager informed him (apparently).
Old 3 Nov 2002, 21:02 (Ref:420928)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kex
Raikkonen is every bit as good as Hakkinen has ever been.
Not yet he isn't...
Old 3 Nov 2002, 21:03 (Ref:420930)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but he will be.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 21:14 (Ref:420943)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
he sure has the potential to be as good as Hakkinen, but then again, Alesi was considered a champion of the future too in his early days...
Old 3 Nov 2002, 21:19 (Ref:420953)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi's been luckier than Alesi in that he's got a top drive very early in his career.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 22:52 (Ref:421007)   #7
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going slightly off-topic: if Mika didn't exist, I wouldn't have had very much to enjoy in F1

Kimi would probably have got the McLaren drive - not only because it kept him out of Ferrari's clutches. Ron Dennis is perfectly capable of analysing every driver on the grid and going for the best prospect. For him, regardless of whether or not Mika had any influence, Kimi would have been the best choice.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 23:44 (Ref:421044)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with Suzy's first statement. Mika was THE MAN for me, and no doubt I'd have been lost if he hadn't been there.

I still say Kimi got the drive only because:

a. Mika's influence
b. Ferrari wanted him too!

However, he obviously has lots of natural talent, so Kimi was a good choice for the future of McLaren.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 00:37 (Ref:421084)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"Ron Dennis is perfectly capable of analysing every driver on the grid and going for the best prospect."

Then can anyone explain why is DC in THAT Mclaren for 8 years?

But i must admit Kimi is a wonderful decision by Ron thus far. He has the desire to win, the will to fight, and is cold and determined to achieve it. ANd i think he deserves that Mclaren seat. Everything went right for him then (Mika ending career, Ferrari seat up for grabs, etc)

Last edited by Gt_R; 4 Nov 2002 at 00:39.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 00:51 (Ref:421092)   #10
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari werent after Kimi
Old 4 Nov 2002, 00:56 (Ref:421094)   #11
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Kimi have done as well as Eddie did ?
Old 4 Nov 2002, 02:40 (Ref:421122)   #12
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nope...but Ron din't know for sure and won't want to take the risk would he?
Old 4 Nov 2002, 03:59 (Ref:421142)   #13
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Hakkinen took a few years too get going too,he certainally didn't set the world on fire from day one.Was he a great driver or just the right driver in the right car at the right time?
Old 4 Nov 2002, 05:30 (Ref:421165)   #14
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite true Armco B. Seeing as though he had only just won his first race at the final in 1997, and went on to win the next year dominantly. But come on! he won two world championships and was my favourite driver at the time.

And plus, i dont really think Ferrari wanted Kimi. Basically because he is not a Rubens, he wouldnt ever play number two.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 07:10 (Ref:421196)   #15
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Hakkinen didn't exist........... well F1 in the late 90's would have been rather boring and MS might have had another title.... and maybe even Eddie Irvine!!!! But probably not David Coultard!

I wouldn't rule out the idea of Ferrari having wanted Kimi - even if he wouldn't play number two to Michael, they could still keep him on loan to Sauber until Michael retires and if they think he's ready, put him the #1 seat, if not let him go. But at least that way, he's not driving for McLaren.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 10:36 (Ref:421283)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
MS would have 2 other titles and Irvine 1. F1 would have been boring for 6 years!

Thank you Mika!!

Last edited by Mal; 4 Nov 2002 at 10:36.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 10:47 (Ref:421288)   #17
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

As I am a staunch Mika fan, I'd like to say that I fell he set the world of F1 alight a long time before he won his first race. Jabby Crombac looked at Mika on his F1 debut in 1991 and said "that boy will be World Champion". Mika had a reputation for being able to throw cars around and put cars in places where, quite frankly, it shouldn't be! I will be the first to admit that gravel traps were one of those places (on an all-too regular basis in 1994) but he worked wonders with the 1995 McLaren. I am proud of him!

He caught my eye too back in 1992. He's a lovely guy, very sweet, totally unaffected by fame and a great driver too. That's my opinion. The Mika-Michael era was great to watch - close battles, lots of friendship and the two best drivers in the world dominating!

Last edited by Suzy; 4 Nov 2002 at 10:48.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 15:42 (Ref:421469)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It wasn't until 1998 that Mika had the right car, he was already accepted as the only driver close to Schumacher and Villeneueve on ability at the time. His showings for Lotus in 1992 and McLaren in Portugal 1993 and Spain 1994 (amongst others) were proof.

Incidentally, is there any truth in the idea that he was Frank Williams' first chocie for 1993 as Prost's #2? I heard that Frank was late in filing the team's entry for 1993, and ahd to hurriedly get approval from all the teams, but at that point Lotus boss peter Collins ahdn't agreed that Mika would be leaving, so refused to allow Mika to sign for Williams at that point, leading them to choose Hill?
Old 4 Nov 2002, 16:34 (Ref:421523)   #19
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Boots (hope you don't mind me abbreviating your name): your second paragraph is correct. It's a long and complicated story but in a nutshell, Keke Rosberg had more-or-less done the deal with Williams, then changed his mind. Keke called Ron Dennis, Peter Collins tried to stop Mika leaving Lotus after Ron Dennis made his move and it all ended up in arbitration with McLaren winning and Peter Collins losing Mika.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 17:17 (Ref:421568)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Kimi's been luckier than Alesi in that he's got a top drive very early in his career.
Don't know if it's considered luck. Alesi was offered a drive by Williams for 1991 and would have done alot better with his career had he taken it, however he followed his heart and went to Ferrari. With that one decision, he became proberbly one of the biggest disappointments in the history of F1.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 20:26 (Ref:421690)   #21
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Mika didn't exist?
Hmmm

No, that's beyond my imagination.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 23:15 (Ref:421803)   #22
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't looking forward to this year because of the lack of Mika but as soon as I saw Kimi at Melbourne you could see he was going to be better than Mika. He seems to have Mika's post-accident maturity and pre-accident aggression.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 23:21 (Ref:421808)   #23
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rpolinski
I wasn't looking forward to this year because of the lack of Mika but as soon as I saw Kimi at Melbourne you could see he was going to be better than Mika. He seems to have Mika's post-accident maturity and pre-accident aggression.
Hopefully yes, but remember when Mika broke his neck in that awful accident in Adelaide 1995? I really really hope the same thing doesn't happen to Raikkonen. It's unlikely, but it's possible too.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 00:06 (Ref:421830)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I actually really hated the 98 99 2000 seasons as I dislike both Mclaren Ferrari M Schu and Hakkinen, so there wasn't much for me to cheer for.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 00:26 (Ref:421837)   #25
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzy
The Mika-Michael era was great to watch - close battles, lots of friendship and the two best drivers in the world dominating!
I think alot of people missed that, especially the anti-Schu's. Michael had more respect for Mika than any other driver he raced against. I also believed they genuinly liked each other.

It's been a long time since two excellent drivers could race wheel-to-wheel, without constant collision, and still get out of the car and like each other.

I don't say this is a crtisim of drivers either, more the press. They do have a tendancy to misquote and manipulate drivers comments for personal gain. They had Montoya, Michael and Ralf going at it before a wheel was turned.

And now they are doing the same to Kimi.........