Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 29 Jun 2003, 17:18 (Ref:646246)   #1
Baritone24

Porsche 944

I just Inhearated a 944 and I dont know much about it,do any of you guy have some info on this car.im would really love the help ,thanks guys!

Old 30 Jun 2003, 13:09 (Ref:647163)   #2
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What woulf you like to know? John Turner owns a 944S2 and loves it. He doesn't visit here all that often so I might have to give him a bell!

As far as I know, it has tremendous grip and fantastic build quality. But then, that's a given with Porsches really!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 19:19 (Ref:647551)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tell us a bit more about your car- how old, how many miles, etc etc?
Old 2 Jul 2003, 14:31 (Ref:649734)   #4
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Currently have a 944S2 cabriolet 16 valve 3 litre. Earlier cars had a 2.5 or 2.7 litre engine.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 18:50 (Ref:649964)   #5
porschefan
Rookie

porschefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a 944 turbo. Important areas to consider are timing belt, hoses, water pump. Do you have maintenance records? If not, get the timing belt repelaced ASAP - it's an interference engine and will be toast if the belt breaks. A useful site is rennlist.com. Good luck.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 19:20 (Ref:652652)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I have an S2 which I have used daily to go to work in for the last couple of years. Great combination of practicality, performance, build quality and relatively economical. As for the grip - sensational! Ride is hard - it's nervous over bumps and the switchgear in front of the gear level is an ergonomic failure! As well as the timing belt, you must keep a very close eye on the camshaft timing chain and tensioner which isn't covered off in the services unless you ask. Very expensive if it breaks!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 07:41 (Ref:654466)   #7
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep to the scheduled maintenance routine and use a reputable garage, the service stamp counts for a few extra quid when it comes to selling.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1539429)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had to sell my S2 at the end of 2003, but here are a couple of pics of it:-

For anyone who wants a classic for everyday use, and doesn't need 4 seats, this has to be one of the prime candidates. Provided you buy one with a proper service record and heed the previous posts on this thread, this model will give you a great deal of pleasure. The 968 is even better, of course, but is more expensive and, personally, I prefer the chunkier looks of the later versions of the 944.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1539643)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The 944 is my dream car. I've always wanted one. I could shell out for one now, but it would just be extra hassle at this time in my life.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1548922)   #10
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't say I was ever taken with the 944 until I got to experience John T's S2. Everything was built properly, it handled superbly, and looked great in an understated sort of way (despite being bright red!). I think the S2 looks a lot better than the original 944, a more refined and rounded design, though the later 968s are also attractive (someone uses an example as their work car near where I live - I know it's well-used because it's always filthy!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
had to sell
Poor excuse