Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Jun 2005, 05:53 (Ref:1316416)   #51
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Geoff-McClure/Sporting-Life/2005/05/31/1117305616150.ht

Smashing publicity

Apart from the date and the "V8", well the rest is all Chinese to us, but hey, doesn't that car look a bit familiar? Well, it should do - the vehicle taking pride of place in this huge banner that has bobbed up in the streets of Shanghai to promote the next round of the V8 Supercars championship in the city on Sunday week is the famous 05 belonging to Peter Brock.

Which is fine except for one minor detail. You see, some time ago the series' organisers supplied a number of photographs to the Chinese promoters for their use. But the one they eventually chose was of the car that Brock's co-driver Jason Plato smashed up in last year's Bathurst 1000 before the now-retired champ had a chance to drive it (its remnants are now being flogged off on the internet).

Said Tim Pemberton, Holden Motorsport's ever-quotable PR man: "Why they chose this shot is anyone's guess but needless to say we're happy to see the Holden Racing Team getting a profile over there."

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 1 Jun 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1316555)   #52
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
Friday = 3,500
Saturday = 11,000
Sunday = 16,400

Total = 30,900 which is a record for EC for a supercar meet not controled by IMG.

Wow beautiful sunny weekend and the get less people there for the weekend than winton gets on race day and they had 100mm of rain in the 24 hours preceding the race and its 250km from melb

shane Sydney. its time to go to where the race is wanted
Old 3 Jun 2005, 09:19 (Ref:1318777)   #53
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice pic of the revised Castrol livery for the China weekend....

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Jun 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1318858)   #54
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sweet And Sour Chinese possibilities

A couple of points to raise about the Chinese experience.

1. They appear to be stacking cars in steel frames. Does this mean they are not taking transporters? What happens if a car is involved in a major prang and doesnt maintain enough shape to fit back into the steel frame?

2. All of the money and bulls**t being poured into this venture, is it really worth it? Do the chinese give a stuff about V8's? You can't buy em there, youre not likely to ever be able to buy one there. Will the income generated from it even match the expense? Will it even long term?

I think the money spent would be much better on having 2 more rounds at eastern creek hahaha. Seriously, bring back winton and maybe even for the hell of it, a track like lakeside.

Here is one right out of the blue if avesco are so keen on going international... bugger going to china... why not take the cars to england? They're on 747's so the destination is almost irrelevant from that point of view. Imagine the V8's around a track like silverstone, donnington or even brands hatch. I think the pommies would enjoy it more than the chinese.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1318874)   #55
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's just see how the Chinese re-act to it before we draw conclusions.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1319236)   #56
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos
1. They appear to be stacking cars in steel frames. Does this mean they are not taking transporters? What happens if a car is involved in a major prang and doesnt maintain enough shape to fit back into the steel frame?
In the bottom pic there is an FPR transporter in the corner.

Couldn't answer the second part

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they were airfreighting them to Winton
Old 3 Jun 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1319248)   #57
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
In the bottom pic there is an FPR transporter in the corner.
I suspect that you will find that the transporters there are having stuff unloaded from them, rather than being loaded onto the planes themselves....
Old 5 Jun 2005, 08:04 (Ref:1320359)   #58
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is the racing likely to be as fulfilling as a good Chinese meal... an hour later, you are ready to watch the next race?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Jun 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1320418)   #59
noodles
Rookie

noodles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone else catch the line in the segment on RPM today where it was stated that the series control fuel couldn't be taken to China, because of government regs or the like?

Presumably this requires some form of variation to the series regs then. And just what locally sourced fuel will be used then? A local Shell equivalent? What is the potential for engine damage without significant dyno work to set up ECU parameters to match this local brew?
Old 5 Jun 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1320435)   #60
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles
Did anyone else catch the line in the segment on RPM today where it was stated that the series control fuel couldn't be taken to China, because of government regs or the like?

Presumably this requires some form of variation to the series regs then. And just what locally sourced fuel will be used then? A local Shell equivalent? What is the potential for engine damage without significant dyno work to set up ECU parameters to match this local brew?
Avesco/Tega are going to let the teams change the ECU if the supplied is a problem.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 5 Jun 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1320889)   #61
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
Avesco/Tega are going to let the teams change the ECU if the supplied is a problem.

So to read between the lines; The series rules & regulations are allowed to be compromised, simply because the Black Wiggle, [aka Bernie Jnr ] wants to take his circus to exotic far-away locations.

I've got a great idea, lets just abolish all the rules, including the franchise system, and the paying of fees to AVE$$CO to hold a round.

That way any circuit who wants a round can just hold one, and any V8 Supercar owners can just bring the cars & race, for actual prizemoney, like the good old days.

I mean if it costs a track $100,000 + to "buy" a round from The Black Wiggle there is some serious potential prizemoney for the winner.
Especially considering there is none now.

Now that would sort the wheat from the chaff, wouldn't it ?????
Old 6 Jun 2005, 02:45 (Ref:1321004)   #62
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anyone considered the current political thing with a Chinese diplomat defecting and the possibility of the cars not being allowed to leave after Sundays racing............

It was interesting reading about all the costs for this in the multi million dollar region.

How are they going to make money out of it as the locals would only be able to pay $0.05 instead of our usual $40.00 for entry to watch the event.

The other thing I haven't heard is if there is a Darwin/Bahrain style marshals junket with this event?
Old 6 Jun 2005, 02:56 (Ref:1321005)   #63
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
So to read between the lines; The series rules & regulations are allowed to be compromised, simply because the Black Wiggle, [aka Bernie Jnr ] wants to take his circus to exotic far-away locations.

I've got a great idea, lets just abolish all the rules, including the franchise system, and the paying of fees to AVE$$CO to hold a round.

That way any circuit who wants a round can just hold one, and any V8 Supercar owners can just bring the cars & race, for actual prizemoney, like the good old days.

I mean if it costs a track $100,000 + to "buy" a round from The Black Wiggle there is some serious potential prizemoney for the winner.
Especially considering there is none now.

Now that would sort the wheat from the chaff, wouldn't it ?????
I would say if the Octane rating does not come up to specs they will retard the ignition slightly.
I have had some experience with Chinese unleaded fuel and it was like paint thinners??

Old 6 Jun 2005, 03:29 (Ref:1321018)   #64
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still wondering why such absolute capitalists (ie, will do 'most anything for money) are dealing with the last bastion of Communism? And the other way round too, if China is having trouble feeding its own population (stopping families from having more than one baby, for example) why is it spending money on such frivolous activities as motor racing and the Olypmic Games?

I don't think you can buy credibility, can you? Can you?

And all I've heard of Shanghai is that it's dirty, very big, crowded, dirty, noisy, dirty, polluted and dirty.

Maybe I read too much Tom Clancy in my youth.

Kramer
Old 6 Jun 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1321257)   #65
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
The other thing I haven't heard is if there is a Darwin/Bahrain style marshals junket with this event?
Don't know the answer to this one, but surely, if there is one group involved with this game who deserve a junket, it is the marshals?
Old 6 Jun 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1321935)   #66
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, on behalf of all the Doom Sayers [me especially included] I will now admit [begrudgingly] that yes the V8 'Money-makers' will race in China this weekend.

I also wish Tony Cochrane all the best for his future overseas endeavours, and congratulate him on his fine work in taking the 'Money-makers' series to bold new frontiers, clearly the long term future of the sport is in good hands.

I mean we are now witnessing a potential overseas explosion of events.

For example in 2006 we can expect things like a return visit to China , an extremely successful event in New Zealand and of course multiple events at Eastern Creek, [the V8 Supercar Heartland, that can only get 16,000 people to raceday]

Having said that, I'd think that a crowd of 16,000 at Shanghai would be considered good, if not excellent.

How does it go again, win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

Methinks the China round could have been organised a bit better & far cheaper; I mean imagine Skaife & Ambrose banging wheels on Malvern Stars into T 1 first lap.

The cost saving potential is huge, only 2 mechanics per pushbike, Colin Bond & Peter Wollerman could have the weekend off,
tyres wouldn't be a problem, as most bicycle tyres are actually made in China, and no need for fire Marshal’s either !!!
The list is endless.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 00:43 (Ref:1321962)   #67
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are no officials from Australia going to work as in the way they do in Bahrain.
Word is no one outside of Race Control speaks english.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 01:22 (Ref:1321984)   #68
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky
Interesting.

What happens if Brad Jones rolls his car, and the Chinese track/fire marshall comes to his rescue.

Brad Jones trying to say that his leg is trapped, and the marshall doesnt understand what he is saying ? Sounds potentially dangerous on the safety side of things.

Having said that, if Skaifey and Ambrose keep going at each other the way that they have, it should be a 'Prawn Cracker' of a race.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 01:39 (Ref:1321990)   #69
Spunky
Racer

I thought the same thing that it would have to be dangerous, the comment has been said to me a couple of times, hopefully it is a slight exageration.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 01:51 (Ref:1321992)   #70
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Same situation with any international sport...

DKGandBH
Old 7 Jun 2005, 01:51 (Ref:1321993)   #71
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of cost savings . Team clothing should be cheaper as well seeing as it is made there . Lower transport costs .
Old 7 Jun 2005, 02:24 (Ref:1322002)   #72
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky
I thought no one in Race control spoke English normally anyway.

Then again I've worked in Race Control at many events so maybe I shouldn't say that
Old 7 Jun 2005, 02:59 (Ref:1322008)   #73
Spunky
Racer

Wait until you see all the spectators well chinese ones anyway, all in FPR merchandise, this is the only team stuff being sold.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 03:49 (Ref:1322030)   #74
dieback
Rookie

dieback should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon Wills for Dynamik will be racing the number 168 for this weekend's round - apparently 44 means 'double death' in Chinese (very worrying)! 168 means 'road to prosperity'.

And Max Wilson will race 328 (success and prosperity) instead of his usual 45.

I guess they've got nothing to lose except bad luck!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 03:52 (Ref:1322033)   #75
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just wondering have there been any news regarding pre event ticket sales (giveaways) regarding this venture ?