Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22 Apr 2020, 09:03 (Ref:3972180)   #1
Phantom Lord
Rookie

Phantom Lord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Late 90s/early 00s JGTC Regulations

Hi there!

I've been watching some older Super GT and JGTC races on YouTube and I've got a few queries about the regulations back then. Incidentally, stuff like this is well worth watching!

As you probably know, the current GT500 regs are aligned with DTM - silhouette racers with no real similarity to their road-going counterparts beyond styling cues.

So, my first question is: in the older JGTC era, to what extent were the GT500 cars related to the production models?

Secondly, with GT300 we currently have a mix of mother chassis cars, FIA GT3 cars and JAF-GT300 cars. For the latter category, my understanding is that these are also silhouette racers, mechanically very different from the road cars.

Same question applies here: were the older cars more closely related to production models? I had this idea that back then, smaller teams used to buy actual road-going sportscars and then convert them to race-spec, but I may have that totally wrong...

I've had a bit of a Google on this but not found any definitive resources. Any info would be much appreciated!