Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jun 2001, 18:36 (Ref:102312)   #1
Artwinter
Rookie

Artwinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren And Ferrari

With McLaren and Ferrari which is it the designers or the drivers? By the way I think Michael will end up as the greatest driver ever.

Gwen
Old 7 Jun 2001, 19:59 (Ref:102328)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it is the chicken and the egg. Both teams have drivers that were there before the teams became successful again. Ferrari first needed Rory Byrne and Ross Brawn to develop the current dominating car for Michael Schumacher to drive. McLaren needed Adrian Newey to build a car that Mika Hakkinen could win with. However, after building it, the drivers must go out and win with it and that has little to do with the designer at that point. Its a symbiotic relationship. We have all seen how a driver who does little with one of F1's minnow teams can become better after a season or two in testing duties. Olivier Panis comes to mind.
Never forget #99
Old 7 Jun 2001, 20:01 (Ref:102329)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
But doesn't that depend on what you call the greatest? How do you decide who the greatest is? Do you look at statistics such as how many wins they have, or do you look at their on-track performance?

And welcome to 10 Tenths, Gwen. To save you asking, TGF is Michael Schumacher and it stands for That German Fellow (it's shorter than having to keep typing Michael Schu...see what I mean? ).
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 7 Jun 2001, 21:23 (Ref:102359)   #4
Artwinter
Rookie

Artwinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf's Girl.

What is greatness? I have followed GP&F1 for 46 years and to me greatness is the ability to win, drive in the rain,and be able to pass other drivers under advers conditions. To me the greatest were Stirling Moss,Ayerton Senna and Michael. Each had great ability in the rain were outstanding in driving ability and a pleasure to watch.

Gwen
Old 8 Jun 2001, 00:43 (Ref:102395)   #5
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"To me the greatest were Stirling Moss,Ayerton Senna and Michael. Each had great ability in the rain were outstanding in driving ability and a pleasure to watch."

Gwen, I admire your wisdom.
Old 8 Jun 2001, 04:32 (Ref:102423)   #6
Porsche_1
Rookie

Porsche_1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don’t think you can put it down to just the designers or just the drivers. I think that these two teams do well because they have struck a balance in relation to both. I think that in most situations if you remove one side of the equation the team will have problems.

Cheers.
Old 8 Jun 2001, 04:42 (Ref:102424)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to the forum Gwen.

If you'd like to chew the fat about Fangio, Moss, Collins, Hawthorn, Senna, Mansell or any others plese pop down to the Historic forum. You'll be more than welcome.
Old 8 Jun 2001, 05:54 (Ref:102435)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Welcome Gwen!

KC sums it up nicely..There are so many people involved in a successful team these days..From the chassis designer, fabricators,Drivers,engine builders,electronic gurus,team bosses,the team strategists.... Hire the best and then you name it Ferrari! First there was Enzo of course

Last edited by JeremySmith; 8 Jun 2001 at 05:56.
Old 8 Jun 2001, 07:32 (Ref:102455)   #9
Rimrider
Racer

Rimrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take Schu out of Ferrari and they become an average team. McLaren take it for me because they have won with Hakkinen, Senna and Prost in the 20 years Ferrari couldn't.
Old 8 Jun 2001, 08:05 (Ref:102459)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

Realy now...
Old 8 Jun 2001, 15:26 (Ref:102607)   #11
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari haven't had the right people at the right time like McLaren have - and they are far too political
Old 8 Jun 2001, 21:00 (Ref:102667)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by gwen
Ralf's Girl.

What is greatness?
Please tell me you're not expecting me to answer that...

It's difficult for me personally to define greatness in a driver - I've been following F1 since 1996 (but watching it since I was very young) and I could pick out drivers who, since then, have stood out to me as being great. But, having not witnessed firsthand the likes of Fangio, Moss, Clark and other "greats" I could only assume that they would be great drivers in my eyes (and I do assume that they would).
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 8 Jun 2001, 22:54 (Ref:102694)   #13
Damon_racer
Rookie

Damon_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers will always be better known than the constructors but Ferrari do seem to have certain something even though I,am not a great fan of there's .