Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 May 2012, 09:02 (Ref:3074211)   #26
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
silverstone

Thanks Chris. Alan's explanation was that it's mixed testing and histories can do the modern corner but moderns can't do the historic corner. It's a bit disappointing, but I just about get it. Do let us know if you can work any magic! Best wishes, Robert
Old 14 May 2012, 13:58 (Ref:3074370)   #27
nigel grant
Rookie

nigel grant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Test

I,ve just spoken to Silverstone themselves and they won't be altering the test circuit from the normal GP circuit.However looking at the circuit map it is only the corner at Vale so 99% of the circuit is the one we will be using at the weekend.So we should all be going faster over the weekend as the Historic circuit cuts out the tight bend at Vale.
Old 15 May 2012, 12:02 (Ref:3074765)   #28
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi to Nick in the Alfa, nice to see another one out mixing it with what appears to be a field of Fords with a few Minis & Imps thrown in for good measure. Mind you, the way I've described it, it could be a normal HTC grid

If you have any time we should catch up- Paul H, Alfa, no 39

Mmmm, 50 cars to start, best clean the mirrors.
Old 18 May 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3076109)   #29
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Looking forward to this... It will be my first 'clubbie' of the year, owing to other commitments.
Be gentle with me if I mis-identify your car to my chatterbox 7 year old! I should also have a bored looking teenager around, but he likes Cobras and E-types, so he'll perk up some of the time!
Old 18 May 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3076244)   #30
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope everyone has a good weekend racing.

Looks like Sunday programme is first class, I will try and bring some decent weather with me
Old 19 May 2012, 11:34 (Ref:3076400)   #31
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Paul in the Alfa !
Yes, we must meet up - I am in car 62, blue F+R, red the rest. I will be propping up the back of the grid in my normal fashion, having a good time - I hope.

After years of Alfa driving with 120hp to 200hp (the last in the delightful-but-heavy Alfa 2600 coupe), and a lifetime playing about in Italian racers, I have decided that what I need is torque ! cubic inches ! noise ! ...

So I have bought the late Hugo Dixon's 350 cu. in Camaro to race in HRS. Ring down to Sphincter Control .... I am gonna scare myself ****less.
Nick
Old 20 May 2012, 17:11 (Ref:3076918)   #32
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just back from Silverstone after thawing out on journey home! It must have been even colder than Snetterton couple of weeks ago....

Good to catch up with a lot of people, could have spent all day chatting. Sorry to those I didn't find!

The GTSCC race included an E Type entry from an unfamiliar duo named Newey & Horner. (Red Bull logo on car- not sure if that means anything ) Qualified third and the former led at end of first lap, only to put car well and truly into the gravel on second..... The car was extracted but lost several laps. The team then managed to pit for driver change outside window and were awarded a penalty. Glad to see it is not only us amateurs that can have bad days!
Old 20 May 2012, 17:48 (Ref:3076932)   #33
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The team then managed to pit for driver change outside window and were awarded a penalty. Glad to see it is not only us amateurs that can have bad days!
It's only the most professional drivers ...... who don't read the regulations!
Old 20 May 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3076957)   #34
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks to all who drove, spannered, marshalled, and commentated. I have had 2 lovely days pottering with no agenda other than to do what I wanted... Now, if only you could have turned up the thermostat...
Pictures from today due on Flickr later, some of yesterday's are up already.
Old 21 May 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3077374)   #35
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A big thank you to all the competitors for "playing the game" and keeping nice tight grid formations, particularly on Sunday. With such large grids it was a balancing game between getting everyone together out of assembly, giving you time and distance to settle the car down and then slow it down to get a tight and safe rolling start formation. In only one race was there an attempt by the mid field to hang back so they could get a flyer but that didn't appear to succeed.

Cheers
Ian
Old 21 May 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3077468)   #36
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pictures

Take a look at - picasaweb.google.co.uk/rbmapics - for snaps that can be downloaded FOC, from the meeting.

Bob Bull.
Old 22 May 2012, 07:20 (Ref:3077641)   #37
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
A big thank you to all the competitors for "playing the game" and keeping nice tight grid formations, particularly on Sunday. With such large grids it was a balancing game between getting everyone together out of assembly, giving you time and distance to settle the car down and then slow it down to get a tight and safe rolling start formation. In only one race was there an attempt by the mid field to hang back so they could get a flyer but that didn't appear to succeed.

Cheers
Ian
It was all pretty well controlled really and certainly in HTC everyone bunched up nicely. Still a few too many people not watching flags and I was passed twice under waved yellows (got 'em back later!) caused by spinners on the huge amounts of oil on the circuit.
Old 22 May 2012, 09:31 (Ref:3077703)   #38
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
Jon,
The oil on-track in the Historic Touring Cars was a major pain-in-the-brain : Jon Orr and I followed a Cortina that was dropping copious amounts - then he veered off track opposite the New Pits.

Imagine my surprise (that's the non-profane version) when I came round next lap and found a trail of oil going back onto the track at the New Pits and continuing round on the racing line - he obviously wanted to complete the job.

Aside from that, my first time back with HTC for several years - good driving standards and a great tussle with Jon in his Imp. Excellent marshalling and organisation. I really enjoyed my day even if it took 2 hours to warm myself up afterwards,
Nick
Old 22 May 2012, 16:55 (Ref:3077911)   #39
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The oil was very hard to spot in many places, I had several 'moments' when I thought I was well away from it, including one at full chat on the Hangar straight.

The first trail was on the racing line almost all way round, then next time around there was a fresh one off the line. With Anglias and Minis queuing up to get by I thought sod it, let them...but they were obviously thinking along similar lines and stayed put!!! Towards the end had a nice tussle with Paul (105 Mad) who had come a cropper on the oil earlier.
Old 22 May 2012, 18:33 (Ref:3077944)   #40
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Imagine my surprise (that's the non-profane version) when I came round next lap and found a trail of oil going back onto the track at the New Pits and continuing round on the racing line - he obviously wanted to complete the job.
In defence of the "Cortina" driver,if you had oil leaking out of your car would you notice it? and when?
Old 22 May 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3077963)   #41
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
In defence of the "Cortina" driver,if you had oil leaking out of your car would you notice it? and when?
Either when someone told me about it!! or just before the following race meeting. Unless there was evidence found under the car.
Old 22 May 2012, 21:02 (Ref:3078049)   #42
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am fairly sure a second car (Alfa) dropped more oil on the 4th lap and he probably realised he was leaking when he spun on it - I was following and he was smoking badly, but I can't be sure he was leaking too, but the track seemed to get worse to me.

Really enjoyed the weekend racing - I love the historic GP circuit, there is something in it for every type of car. Many thanks to all the marshalls - I didn't envy you with the bitter wind.
Old 23 May 2012, 07:55 (Ref:3078185)   #43
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
Robyn,
Given the amount of oil being lost, I think in this case a glance at the oil pressure gauge would have yielded a clue.

Before you say this is a counsel of perfection - I have to admit to having form in this respect ..... twenty years ago my sump plug fell out at Redgate and I did notice the difficulty in going down Craner curves with oil-cooled rear tyres. Had to go round the paddock on my knees after the race apologising to my fellow-competitors.... it was carnage.

Yes, I did learn something and have been very careful with sump plugs and oil connections ever since.
Nick
Old 23 May 2012, 08:05 (Ref:3078188)   #44
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone got any pics of this meeting to put up?
Old 23 May 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3078222)   #45
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post

But maybe temperature was outside operating range of modern cameras!
Old 23 May 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3078223)   #46
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Sadly the only picture I have got is of the outcome of the meeting.....

are they mean't to look like this?!!!
Attached Thumbnails
P1010595.JPG  
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 23 May 2012, 09:37 (Ref:3078224)   #47
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will,

I guess that explains the smoke then ... I think you did well to get a finish in that case.

James
Old 23 May 2012, 09:51 (Ref:3078229)   #48
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, unsurprisingly there was not much oil left in the engine!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 23 May 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3078278)   #49
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There seemed to be oil everywhere, I think at some stage their was a yellow or yellow/red flag at each corner with cars spinning off all over the place. Andy Yool (Anglia) lost it right in front of me as we came onto the Wellington Straight and managed to go off on both sides of the track in one spin...I also had a scary moment on Hangar straight on a part that looked clear but evidently wasn't!
Old 23 May 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3078307)   #50
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
We are the guilty party, I'm afraid. One of the oil lines to the dry sump pump split. As Robyn says 'when do you notice it?' Oil pressure stayed good until Dan pulled off when smoke came in to the cockpit.
Sorry to all who had 'incidents' as a result.

Nick, he went off near the new pits as he ran wide with oil covered front offside tyre and recovered back on to the racing line as at that point he was unaware of a problem.