Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Jan 2013, 10:26 (Ref:3190431)   #1
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fressingfield Oily Rag Club or FORC

Well, despite minus 6 and snow there was another good turnout for the FORC event last night.

Historic motorsport off track events do not get much better, or cheaper come to that, than these evenings of entertainment from top guest speakers. Last night we added yet another "gem" to the long list of "celebrities" who have graced the stage over the years.

Alistair Coldwell. Hours of knowledgeble and often hilarious insight into racing with McLaren, Brabham, etc, etc, etc, etc. We get the detail that other beers cannot reach !!!

If you are within striking distance of Suffolk get onto the FORC websight and register your name. No joining fees. Great networking, camaraderie and you will probably be rubbing shoulders with a fellow racer, engineer and enthusiast. Just stick a fiver in the helmet and get historic motorsport insights like no other, plus tea, coffee and cakes.

So where were you last night Mike ???

Graham.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3190484)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
So where were you last night Mike ???

Graham.
Hiding from the snow and ice!
Old 19 Jan 2013, 11:30 (Ref:3191405)   #3
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
It's a constant regret that I live so far away. I've only managed to attend one meeting a couple of years ago and it was a great pleasure to meet such a great crowd of like minded people and the welcome was warm and hospitable, even though I was a 'foreigner'. Highly recommended, although with the 'guest list' they manage to attract, I don't think they need any publicity from me
Old 19 Jan 2013, 17:35 (Ref:3191506)   #4
Wendy Wool
Rookie

Wendy Wool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would have loved to have been there, Alistair CALDWELL, is a pretty hand racer too
Old 19 Jan 2013, 18:45 (Ref:3191527)   #5
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Wool View Post
Would have loved to have been there, Alistair CALDWELL, is a pretty hand racer too

Yeah, i know. Should have been an "a", not a "o".

Which hand is the "pretty" one ? Looked both the same to me
Old 20 Jan 2013, 01:38 (Ref:3191608)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Probably hand was the correct word!

Who plays him in the Hunt/Lauda film?

He has some interesting rally cars!
Old 20 Jan 2013, 11:36 (Ref:3191715)   #7
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Stephen Mangan plays him in the film (do not think he looks much like him) and Alastair has a small walk on part as an official.

He does indeed have a varied collection of rally cars and he certainly is not scared of using them to the full.

As with all the guests that FORC pull in, the packed in audience are always treated to insights that very often have never been seen or told before and Alistair certainly pulled no punches.

Brilliant.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 10:15 (Ref:3195224)   #8
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Another top name to add to the FORC list.

David Richards CBE. February 27th.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 10:46 (Ref:3211584)   #9
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Another full house booked for tonights star turn ...

David Richards CBE

Any other Tenthers going?
Old 27 Feb 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3211634)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Another full house booked for tonights star turn ...

David Richards CBE

Any other Tenthers going?
For once have a reasonable excuse not to be there! Sure Dave Richards will be very interesting. He could probably do several talks on different aspects of his life in Motorsport and now motor industry.....

Old 28 Feb 2013, 09:52 (Ref:3212147)   #11
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Oh boy, what another successful FORC event.
Even the mice had to vacate the centre last night as the walls were bulging !!

David flew into Fressingfield playing field "international heli-port" and was then ferried to Stradbroke for the night.
Exceptionally enlightening and entertaining insites into old and new motorsport, and production and development within Prodrive and Aston Martin.

You missed another good one Mike. Poor excuse not flying back from the States !!!!!!
Old 28 Feb 2013, 10:22 (Ref:3212168)   #12
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Should have said that next month we have motorcyclings James Haydon, and then in April we have one of the last of the 50s Grand Prix drivers, Tony Brooks.

Being part of the FORC audience is always a "buzz" as you never know who you could be sitting next to. It,s like a RaceRetro show without the stands, and great for making contacts and reaching parts other "beers cannot reach".
Old 28 Feb 2013, 10:50 (Ref:3212193)   #13
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Should have said that next month we have motorcyclings James Haydon, and then in April we have one of the last of the 50s Grand Prix drivers, Tony Brooks.

Being part of the FORC audience is always a "buzz" as you never know who you could be sitting next to. It,s like a RaceRetro show without the stands, and great for making contacts and reaching parts other "beers cannot reach".
I may try and make the Tony Brooks evening in April (if you're able to take a guest?). He interviewed me for a job, many years ago when he had the garage in Weybridge (I didn't get it but no hard feelings ) and I very much enjoyed my previous vist to FORC.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 12:34 (Ref:3212241)   #14
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are (admittedly few) times when I wish I lived in East Anglia.........
Old 28 Feb 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3212351)   #15
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
John,

Tony Brooks is with us on Wednesday 24th April. Would you like me to reserve a front seat for you ? It is likely to be another sell out.

I,d would have offered to put you up for the night but the house rebuild is ongoing in a BIG way and we are living and sleeping in one room and my Mother is in the dining room!! Scaffolding all round and we can only go out of the back kitchen door. The upstairs is a no go as well because a whole new roof is going over the top. This is a big, big job. Garden and drive looks similar to the carnage of WW1. Doubt house will be near finishing until late May. Sorry.

I normally taxi colleagues to and from Stradbroke but could change that month to help by meeting you somewhere to reduce your driving load.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 18:45 (Ref:3212362)   #16
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Thank you so much for the offer of a front row seat and I accept with gratitude - it's very kind of you and it's now in my diary

We'll be in contact, nearer the time but I suspect I'll drive up during the afternoon and stay the night in a Travelodge/Premier Inn. I found Stradbroke last time thanks to my satnav - I assume it's in the same hall?

Thanks again.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3212384)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Having driven past there twice today and twice last Sunday, sorry to say Fressingfield is on my list of places I can well live without ever seeing again.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 20:05 (Ref:3212385)   #18
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
OK.

John, i have just put the phone down from Steve Wyatt and have reserved a FRONT row seat for you.

Will speak with you well before then anyway, but aim to be there by 6.30pm to get parked close by the front entrance. It kicks off at 7.30, but as always its going to be hectic and i know that there will be a lot of people who know you, and you them.

It,s going to be another good,n.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 20:16 (Ref:3212390)   #19
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Having driven past there twice today and twice last Sunday, sorry to say Fressingfield is on my list of places I can well live without ever seeing again.

Tim,

the events are held at Stradbroke, and as for Fressingfield it is a very desirable and pretty village, with loads of very nice period houses.

Were you asleep, or on hallucinatery drugs, and why did,nt you come and see me, as i don,t live that far away ?
Old 28 Feb 2013, 20:28 (Ref:3212397)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Tim,

Were you asleep, or on hallucinatery drugs, and why did,nt you come and see me, as i don,t live that far away ?
It's all a rush at the moment Graham, the MIL is in James Paget and It's a 6 hour round trip drive for us which has been twice this week as the old dear looked like she was going to peg at one point, slight recovery today though. Under more relaxed circumstances I'd love to pop in for a chat and coffee.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 20:46 (Ref:3212403)   #21
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
.... and you go through Fressingfield to get to the James Paget ??????

Tim, I think you,ve got your villages muddled up .
Old 28 Feb 2013, 21:24 (Ref:3212412)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
.... and you go through Fressingfield to get to the James Paget ??????

Tim, I think you,ve got your villages muddled up .
Didn't go through it, I saw the sign to it from the A143, about two miles away if I'm correct.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 09:39 (Ref:3212641)   #23
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
Didn't go through it, I saw the sign to it from the A143, about two miles away if I'm correct.

" So Your Honour,

the witness, having slated in his previous statement the village of Fressingfield and probably single handedly ruined the housing market therein, now freely admits that he did not actually go there ........

I rest my case and ask that the case be dropped and the jury dismissed"

Old 1 Mar 2013, 09:47 (Ref:3212651)   #24
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
" So Your Honour,

the witness, having slated in his previous statement the village of Fressingfield and probably single handedly ruined the housing market therein, now freely admits that he did not actually go there ........

I rest my case and ask that the case be dropped and the jury dismissed"

Can we not go on evidence that has not been submitted to the court but what we feel may have happened at some point in the past or purely in our imaginations?
Old 1 Mar 2013, 11:38 (Ref:3212683)   #25
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Can we not go on evidence that has not been submitted to the court but what we feel may have happened at some point in the past or purely in our imaginations?
Very subtle Tim but not lost on me!