Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Aug 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1688841)   #76
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Judicata
Hero is a word that is often misused by the media. A hero is person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life.

On August 1, 1976, when leading the WDC, Niki Lauda crashed at the Nurburing during the German Grand Prix. Two following drivers - Harald Ertl and Brett Lunger - hit Lauda's wrecked car. Two other drivers avoided the accident and stopped - Guy Edwards and Arturio Merzario.

It took the combined efforts of Ertl, Lunger, Edwards, and Merzario to pull Lauda from his burning car. Guy Edwards was awarded a Queen's Gallantry Medal for his bravery.

Lauda received last rites and was not expected to live. However, he sat out several Grands Prix and despite constant pain, contested the remaining races in 1976. Under impossible rain conditions, Lauda pulled into the pits and withdrew from the season ending Japanese Grand Prix, giving James Hunt his hollow WDC by one-point.

I salute these four unsung heros of F1:
  1. Harald Ertl
  2. Brett Lunger
  3. Guy Edwards
  4. Arturio Merzario
I agree with all the plaudits for this post and the other names that have been mentioned, but would like to add one more. Lauda himself.

The way he fought back from his injuries, including the anguish of hearing the Last Rites being pronounced over him was extraordinary.

He retired from the last race of the year at Fuji, when it was incredibly wet, mostly because he couldn't blink his eyes to clear his vision. Some criticised him heavily for parking the car, including Ferrari, but it was a brave and correct decision in the circumstances and, as he said, he had won his biggest battle that year, so the WDC was neither here nor there.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1688856)   #77
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
I agree with all the plaudits for this post and the other names that have been mentioned, but would like to add one more. Lauda himself.

The way he fought back from his injuries, including the anguish of hearing the Last Rites being pronounced over him was extraordinary.

He retired from the last race of the year at Fuji, when it was incredibly wet, mostly because he couldn't blink his eyes to clear his vision. Some criticised him heavily for parking the car, including Ferrari, but it was a brave and correct decision in the circumstances and, as he said, he had won his biggest battle that year, so the WDC was neither here nor there.
strider - I am in complete agreement with you. (and Niki is on my original list) Not only could he not see, but the horrible burn injuries kept him from being able to blink his eyes. That problem continues to this day. Burn injuries are horrible, but we go into shock at the time of the injury. The healing of burn injuries can be worse, as the dry, brittle new skin and scar tissue cracks when we move. He may have been back in a F1 Ferrari in 6 weeks, but I doubt he was free from horrible pain for 6 months - or even much more. That's why I've always view Lauda as having won 4 championships.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1688858)   #78
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
kivipallur92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1.Michael Schumacher
2.Fernando Alonso
3.Kimi Räikkonen
4.Mika Häkkinen
5.Giancarlo Fisichella
(6.Takuma "The Bulldozer" Sato)
Old 22 Aug 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1688864)   #79
AFC1986
Rookie

England
AFC1986 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. mika hakkinen
2. michael schumacher
3. kimi raikkonen
4. nigel mansell
5. juan pablo montoya
Old 22 Aug 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1688928)   #80
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
strider - I am in complete agreement with you. (and Niki is on my original list) Not only could he not see, but the horrible burn injuries kept him from being able to blink his eyes. That problem continues to this day. Burn injuries are horrible, but we go into shock at the time of the injury. The healing of burn injuries can be worse, as the dry, brittle new skin and scar tissue cracks when we move. He may have been back in a F1 Ferrari in 6 weeks, but I doubt he was free from horrible pain for 6 months - or even much more. That's why I've always view Lauda as having won 4 championships.
Thanks. I'm glad we agree and I'd go along with the 4 championships theory, too.

The other driver whom I regard as extremely brave, if not quite heroic, is Mika Häkkinen. When he crashed in Adelaide in 1995, his life was only saved by an immediate track side tracheotomy. Fortunately it was the last race of the season, so he had the winter in which to recover.

Come the beginning of the next season he was back in the car. A little thinner and a little paler, but still with the same burning desire to succeed. Of course, we know that he went on from there to win two championships and that, for a man who has stared death in the face, is something special, in my opinion.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1688949)   #81
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Thanks. I'm glad we agree and I'd go along with the 4 championships theory, too.

The other driver whom I regard as extremely brave, if not quite heroic, is Mika Häkkinen. When he crashed in Adelaide in 1995, his life was only saved by an immediate track side tracheotomy. Fortunately it was the last race of the season, so he had the winter in which to recover.

Come the beginning of the next season he was back in the car. A little thinner and a little paler, but still with the same burning desire to succeed. Of course, we know that he went on from there to win two championships and that, for a man who has stared death in the face, is something special, in my opinion.
strider - this is another important factor that says something about the character of the man - to have faced great adversity - even near death - and come back. I remember the horrible crash of Oliver Panis in Montreal. Schumacher's breaking of his legs at Silverstone. Frentzen's crash. Ralf's terrible crash into the wall at Indy. The horrible pain of a broken hip and legs that Caracciola had to endure. I'm sure there are others that I have omitted.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1689011)   #82
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Jim Hurtubise. Having his hands burned horribly after an accident he had the doctors form them (plastic surgery and burn treatment not being nearly as advanced then as now) into a grasping position. That way what little range of motion he had left could be used to hold the steering wheel so he could continue to try to win The 500. He raced for a number of years like this.

The examples mentioned so far are just amazing testimonials to how badly someone may wish to overcome whatever is keeping them from accomplishing their goals.

And I gripe when my back hurts...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1689102)   #83
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then we musn't forget Zanardi. An excellent example of how a positive mindset can help pull you through the most trying of times.

My faves btw are
Zanardi
Hakkinen
G. Villeneuve
Raikkonen
and Tomi Makkinen (I know not F1 but he tested a car once so I am putting him in my list)
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 23 Aug 2006, 03:25 (Ref:1689276)   #84
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
In the time I've been avidly following F1:

Ayrton Da Senna Da Silva - the boss. Period.

JPM - best natural talent tio burst onto scene since Senna (ok unfulfilled thereafter) and unrivalled for sheer audacity in overtaking moves.

Johnny Herbert - still did wonders inspite of massive injuries in 3000 which suggests if he hadn't have had that crash he would have been WDC for sure.

JJ Lehto - a character and was unfortunate not to get the right drive sooner, think he may have stood up well to Schuey at Benetton if he hadn't have broken his neck testing.

Alice Zanardi - an old fashoned charger who lost his edge somewhere and one of the nicest down to earth blokes ever to grace an F1 seat!
Nice list chunterer, I almost made the same list for the same reasons.

Wee Johnny was somone of whom you were always pleased to see do well. I'm convinced that Alex was one of the great talents and an absolutely delightful person. JJ, never given the shot after '94.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 03:28 (Ref:1689277)   #85
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
strider - this is another important factor that says something about the character of the man - to have faced great adversity - even near death - and come back. I remember the horrible crash of Oliver Panis in Montreal. Schumacher's breaking of his legs at Silverstone. Frentzen's crash. Ralf's terrible crash into the wall at Indy. The horrible pain of a broken hip and legs that Caracciola had to endure. I'm sure there are others that I have omitted.

And can we forget Mike Hailwood puuling an unconcious Reggazoni from a burning BRM in Spain or David Purley's valiant though futile attempt to save Roger Williamson at Zandvoort in '73?
Old 23 Aug 2006, 07:11 (Ref:1689313)   #86
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
Then we musn't forget Zanardi. An excellent example of how a positive mindset can help pull you through the most trying of times.
Spot on mate. Alex Zanardi is possibly one of if not the bravest open wheel driver in history. To come back after a shocking crash at the tricky Eau Rouge is one thing, but to return to a sport you love even after it claimed the bottom half of your legs is truly amazing.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 23 Aug 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1689327)   #87
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EERO
Nice list chunterer, I almost made the same list for the same reasons.

Wee Johnny was somone of whom you were always pleased to see do well. I'm convinced that Alex was one of the great talents and an absolutely delightful person. JJ, never given the shot after '94.
Thanks mate, it was more difficult than I thought to come up with this and i've probably missed a few.

I've said it before on other threads but I look for that hard charger mentality in drivers, as the combative element, the will to want to pass another car endlessley, is surely deeply inbedded in the glamour/romanticism of the roots of international motor racing following.

When something bad happens to a driver, or they are killed and they just happen to be one of my tips it leaves a big hole.

When Senna died it took me ages to get my level of interest back up in F1, although I was hoping that it would give the likes of Johnny, JJ, Alesi and Zanardi the opportunity to come through as I felt they were the next in line in terms of talent, that all out racer mode and 'deserving' of decent drives.

Similarly with JPM now out of F1 my interest has already waned, but difference between now and then is there aren't nearly as many decent likeable drivers I can see to take up the cudgels of top racer!

Although they weren't (yet?) in F1, 1999 was a bad year for racers I liked, Greg Moore, Gonzo Rodriguez killed, and Jason Watt - another attacking driver and character - paralysed in a nasty motrbike acccident. I was looking forward to seeing all 3 grace F1 at some point in the early 'noughties'

And if things had turned out differently oh boy we'd have had some phenomenal battles in early part of the decade!!

v Mika v JPM V Gonzo v Moore v Watt v Zanardi all trying to take on Schumacher, with the emergence of Kimi and Alonso starting tio show their credentials. Now that would have been great viewing!

Last edited by chunterer; 23 Aug 2006 at 07:30.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1689462)   #88
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Alice Zanardi - an old fashoned charger who lost his edge somewhere and one of the nicest down to earth blokes ever to grace an F1 seat!

"Alice" did I miss something?
Old 23 Aug 2006, 11:39 (Ref:1689478)   #89
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was thinking the same thing..
Old 23 Aug 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1689484)   #90
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethhardie
No,but maybe Alex is.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1689539)   #91
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethhardie
Alice, the oldest brother of Alex, that is.

He used to sing rock'n'roll with his last surname Cooper.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1689633)   #92
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Alice was his nickname for a bit back in the early Lotus days.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 14:40 (Ref:1689657)   #93
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Mika v JPM V Gonzo v Moore v Watt v Zanardi all trying to take on Schumacher, with the emergence of Kimi and Alonso starting tio show their credentials. Now that would have been great viewing!
Old 23 Aug 2006, 15:21 (Ref:1689695)   #94
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by EERO
And can we forget Mike Hailwood puuling an unconcious Reggazoni from a burning BRM in Spain or David Purley's valiant though futile attempt to save Roger Williamson at Zandvoort in '73?
Thanks again. I'm sure there were others - there were some terrible accidents with damage to feet and legs until the noses of the cars were strengthened. Then there was Sandro Nanini's loss of an arm in a helicopter accident. Sadly, the list goes on and underscores the fact that racing is dangerous, even today.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 00:32 (Ref:1690050)   #95
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Michael Schumacher
Mario Andretti
Jackie Stewart-I worshipped him as a kid!
Jimmy Clark
Nigel Mansell
Old 24 Aug 2006, 04:00 (Ref:1690084)   #96
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Andreas Nikolaus Lauda
Alain Prost
James Hunt
Keke Rosberg
Heinz-Harald Frentzen
Gerhard Berger

I know, I can't count. But I couldn't separate the last 2. It doesn’t matter because if you ask me again in another couple of hours my list will probably change again.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 18:16 (Ref:1691638)   #97
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
I know, I can't count. But I couldn't separate the last 2. It doesn’t matter because if you ask me again in another couple of hours my list will probably change again.
I know what you mean. I keep thinking of people that I would add to either my list of 5, or my honorable lmention list. People like Richard Seaman, who really should be noticed.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1691705)   #98
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Of all the drivers in the sport today:

Michael Schumacher
Fernando Alonso
Rubens Barrichello
Nico Rosberg
Mark Webber

Of all time:

Michael Schumacher
Ayrton Senna
Gilles Villeneuve
Alain Prost
Mika Hakkinen
Old 26 Aug 2006, 13:41 (Ref:1692796)   #99
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just going to be boring here:

M.Schumacher
Raikkonen
Alonso
in no particular order.

Actually, the real reason why I posted here, is because I didn't want to post a meaningless topic on one oh-so-tiny observation I have recently made.
Felipe, at the press conference for his first ever career pole position in F1, you'd expect him to be confidently backing himself in the race for a chance at victory - at his FIRST victory in F1, like a Montoya, or a Ralf, or a Kimi before they each joined victory circle, claiming they have a good opportunity to go for 'gold', or words to that effect. But Felipe, under the red clamp, is forced to say he is "looking forward to doing the best job for the team" as Schumacher wearily glares at him out of the corner of his eye, with the interviewer exclaiming that Felipe is actually confortably within a shout of the world championship - his answer to this, translated in my words, I will work for schumacher if it means licking the dirt from beneath his shoes, and the marbles from beneath his tyres.
I don't believe in god, but I am praying that Alonso has enough left to stop Ferrari making a mockery of F1 yet again this season.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1692803)   #100
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
?????

You can start a new thread about it if you want, but your comment is not relevant to the subject of this thread.

Last edited by Bononi; 26 Aug 2006 at 13:52.