Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 May 2012, 16:26 (Ref:3080657)   #76
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
It's impossible for me to alter my belt angle, they fit over my shoulders and do up round my waste much the same as most harnesses. It sounds like you may have a dodgy setup as there are instructions on the angle the belt has to follow when you buy them.
Yes, the correct belt angle for safety is also the correct belt angle for HANS. I've never worn one, but my co-driver in the 360 had one and he got on perfectly well in the 924, and that doesn't have a special seat or even the narrow belts. The harness has a nice low angle, coming off the rear luggage deck.

I must admit the belts in the 924 are much more comfortable than the Midget's were as they don't come over my shoulders at such an acute angle. I suggest you try re-siting them anyway Al, there's lots of benefits.

I wouldn't take too much notice of the FIA articles, from what I can see they're written by people with vested interests so "they would say that, wouldn't they?" Just use them as part of your own personal risk assessment.
Old 28 May 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3080664)   #77
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The belts have been like it since 1988 when I built the car and pick up on the original anchoridge point and that would be far stronger than sat running them from the rear parcel shelf to get the HANS specified angle. The belts feel fine and comfortable on when strapped in. Personally I would have thought in a roll over incident a more acute angle would be safer.
Old 28 May 2012, 16:55 (Ref:3080670)   #78
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've come to think not, Al. The belts are designed to hold a rigid part of you (your torso) rigid against something rigid (your seat). By pulling DOWNWARDS you're pulling against a collapsible part of your body - when you go upisde down your @r5e tries to escape through your neck, and then you are loose within the belts.

However, if you are pulled BACK against the seat, you're held in place and your body can't jacknife. That's the way I see it anyway.

It's like trying to hang things onto a solid wall using zip ties. Pull 'em back tight enough and you don't need supports underneath, just the ties. It's not just for HANS, it's for safety in head on and roll over accidents. One of the reasons I sold the MG was that I am too tall to get the belt angles right, and getting to an age where I worry about these things!
Old 28 May 2012, 17:06 (Ref:3080677)   #79
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Erm as an aside thats an interesting comment, why is it the young with their whole lifes ahead of them have a more cavalier attitude to safety. I will have a look at the belt scenario again maybe easier in the black car as its a hatchback.
Old 28 May 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3080700)   #80
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
why is it the young with their whole lifes ahead of them have a more cavalier attitude to safety.
Because when you're young bad things only happen to other people, when you're old you know it can happen to you as well.
Old 28 May 2012, 17:51 (Ref:3080704)   #81
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And also because they havn't yet discovered the "What If" factor. IE,What If there's a car just over that blind brow?. Does tend to slow some people down.
Old 29 May 2012, 07:40 (Ref:3080977)   #82
midgetman
Veteran

And us Oldies are just as bad. "It was perfectly all right without X thirty years ago, why do I need X now?"

The world changes and we don't keep up.
Old 29 May 2012, 07:57 (Ref:3080988)   #83
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The solution I used was to have a bar installed in the rollcage over which the belts were looped. My new Capri cage has this bar as part of the original structure.

You only have to look at the connection points on a single seater, these are usually just at the level of the driver's shoulders.

Tags
hans