Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Sep 2018, 18:13 (Ref:3853169)   #76
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Given what's been said about GT2 aero-wise(which is said to be aimed at being more GT4-like), I have a feeling that the new 935 won't be eligible.

Would still love to see it race somewhere. This kind of car is what PFV classes exist for.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 20:59 (Ref:3853337)   #77
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New SRO GT2

SRO says 6 manufacturers are actively interested in the GT2 for 2019...

So Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and who else?
Old 29 Sep 2018, 21:45 (Ref:3853342)   #78
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post

Aston Martin, McLaren and maybe Mercedes or Audi
Old 29 Sep 2018, 23:16 (Ref:3853352)   #79
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche 935 testing at Monza

https://youtu.be/JAnad-yOlkU
Old 30 Sep 2018, 16:43 (Ref:3853550)   #80
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
I'd say both Mercedes and Audi, seeing how their GT4s are actually too super for a non-supercar class like GT4.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3854402)   #81
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
According to Head of Porsche Motorsport Dr. Frank-Steffen Walliser, the Porsche 935 would fit, performance-wise, within SRO’s newly announced GT2 platform.
The technology behind of this 935 track day car could serve as the foundation of a future GT2 entry.
Porsche is understood to have already been track testing a GT2 RS-based race car, which was again spotted at Monza earlier this week.

https://sportscar365.com/sro/wallise...uture-gt2-car/
Old 4 Oct 2018, 00:19 (Ref:3854417)   #82
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post

Any basis to that or just a hunch?
Old 4 Oct 2018, 01:24 (Ref:3854426)   #83
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Think the S365 article said Ratel has 3 commitments for next season so far and other interested builders.

I would assume Porsche could make a GT2 from the GT2 with the 935 engine tune in the "regular" bodywork. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Ferrari of either the 458 or F12. Lamborghini also sounds like a promising option with either platform but I'd guess a relaxed aero and more engine of the Super Trofeo.

All of these are guesses at who COULD build a car:

I would not be surprised to see an R8 car built especially if there's a push to squeeze them and McLaren out of GT4. Same thing with a McLaren but with the Senna possibly, although that seems like it might be more aero than desired but the rules are oh so clear so far. I think we could see the DB come back to racing if Aston decided to join in as well but I won't hold my breath for anything from them until it appears on track. If GT2 is allowed to run alone or as the fastest cars I could see Bentley making a car as well but they seem to love being the top class on track. MB is another who could be squeezed out of GT4 and want to build another car with their AMG. Could we see Acura also join in with the NSX or Lexus with the LC500? I could also see, IF there's enough cash put forth ahead of time, a top end Vette program IF GT2 becomes something but nothing soon at all. It seems like there could be lots of options and if they can keep it a "affordable" gentleman's class I think you'd see more cars built after the first season
Old 4 Oct 2018, 09:29 (Ref:3854477)   #84
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Just as an aside, I'd love a mixed class GT2/GT4 endurance series.

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (5) mit Tapatalk
Old 5 Oct 2018, 01:51 (Ref:3854587)   #85
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Any basis to that or just a hunch?
Those are the brands mentioned in the different notes published about GT2, of course all of that have GT3 and GT4 cars and it should not be difficult to build a GT2 as well and it would be a good opportunity for them.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3866685)   #86
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well it looks like Porsche is in talks with SRO but with the GT2 RS Clubsport for GT2, 700 hp 3.8TT. Looks like 405,000 Euros and only 200 produced, sadly I think most will go to collectors and never seen track action in anger
Old 21 Jan 2019, 14:44 (Ref:3877530)   #87
Bcarr6
Veteran

According to Ratel, there is 3 cars already signed off by their respective boards, with an additional 3 under serious study.

So Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi right?

Mclaren, Aston considering?
Old 21 Jan 2019, 21:11 (Ref:3877595)   #88
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
According to Ratel, there is 3 cars already signed off by their respective boards, with an additional 3 under serious study.

So Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi right?

Mclaren, Aston considering?
Would be interesting if VAG represented all 3 makes. I also think Mercedes could be a possibility along with the others you mentioned.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 09:41 (Ref:3877653)   #89
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Would be interesting if VAG represented all 3 makes. I also think Mercedes could be a possibility along with the others you mentioned.
Ferrari was supposedly also in the mix but I dont know where that rumour came from
Old 11 Feb 2019, 20:17 (Ref:3883349)   #90
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well it seems the only car we've seen will be the only car on track.

Yes, it's S365 so grains of salt are needed but Porsche GT2 RS Clubsport to be only GT2 car in first race.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 20:45 (Ref:3883356)   #91
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the official release...
Quote:
Having turned its first demonstration laps in an iconic motorsport setting, the new Porsche will also make its international competition debut at a globally significant venue. This will take place in July when a full grid of 911 GT2 RS Clubsports tackle a special one-make race as part of the build-up to the biggest GT event of the year: the Total 24 Hours of Spa (25-28 July).

This unique race will act as a prelude to the car competing in the upcoming GT2 category, which was officially launched by SRO Motorsports Group founder and CEO Stephane Ratel during last year’s Total 24 Hours of Spa.

Following its debut race at Spa the GT2 concept will be introduced to existing categories such as Blancpain GT Sports Club with the long-term aim of reinforcing GT3 sprint grids in Europe, America and Asia.
Old 12 Feb 2019, 04:09 (Ref:3883434)   #92
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel ten Caat View Post
From the official release...
What is a full grid in this series? and if they already have a full grid will anybody else even be interested in making a car?
Old 12 Feb 2019, 09:14 (Ref:3883478)   #93
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not a series, it's a category. This race is a one-make launch race. Don't know how many of the 200 cars Porsche plans to build will be racing at Spa.
Old 12 Feb 2019, 12:25 (Ref:3883499)   #94
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Honestly it sounds more like well there's one car and no one has built anything so we promised a race that no one gives a rat's hind end about but we're going to make it happen anyway. I mean all I hear about on here is how we need more GTE-AM cars so of course we need a gentleman's only GT2 series. That will fill the stands.
Old 12 Feb 2019, 14:51 (Ref:3883541)   #95
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This series appears to be an answer to a question that nobody has asked.
Old 12 Feb 2019, 15:15 (Ref:3883544)   #96
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
We're agreeing a bit much lately, I'm hoping it's I'm mellowing and not as crazy but who knows.

I mean the GT2 RS Clubsport is a cool car and those usually end up in storage and sold at auction or private sale and never see the street or track. But a race series? Might be more of a Porsche club days thing, hint hint Porsche there's a nice track just north of your Georgia office and Ferrari came with their Clienti program (and set a track record) so where's your east coast baby Rennsport??
Old 12 Feb 2019, 15:53 (Ref:3883558)   #97
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can almost justify the race series, because the cars are awesome. But this seems like a weird fit. Lots of power, less downforce...Am drivers? Maybe it's because Ams struggle with downforce? I don't know. It sounds like a decent idea (apart from the Ams), but I don't see where it fits.
Old 12 Feb 2019, 19:31 (Ref:3883609)   #98
Bcarr6
Veteran

New SRO GT2

Quote:
I can almost justify the race series, because the cars are awesome. But this seems like a weird fit. Lots of power, less downforce...Am drivers? Maybe it's because Ams struggle with downforce? I don't know. It sounds like a decent idea (apart from the Ams), but I don't see where it fits.

I think the idea is less downforce so slower in the corners, allowing for more thinking time for am drivers?

I think currently GT2 exists to protect against a collapse of GT3 if that ever happened
Old 12 Feb 2019, 20:17 (Ref:3883620)   #99
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

but left me other questions... most of them have a lot of dirty words so I'll pass

at the end this GT2 will be some kind of carrera cup under steroids for rich amateurs.... waiting for other challangers.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 00:07 (Ref:3914516)   #100
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Audi is expected to announce a GT2-spec version of its R8 next month, potentially at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. The German manufacturer would join Porsche in officially offering GT2 models built to the new SRO platdorm, although cars from Aston Martin, Ferrari and KTM/Reiter are all understood to be in the works as well.
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/w...ay-notebook-7/