Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jun 2002, 21:20 (Ref:324752)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The dirty side of the track- How can this problem be solved?

I think it is a bit unfair that on some tracks the odd-numbered side of the grid gets a better start than the even-numbered side, making qualifying 3rd an advantage over qualifying 2nd. The best example of this kind of track is the Hungaroring. But how do you think this problem can be solved besides removing the said track from the calendar?
Old 30 Jun 2002, 22:20 (Ref:324767)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are many drivers who try to alleviate this problem by driving over their side of the grid through warm-up. A good example was the Williams drivers in Austria both this year and last.

I suppose what you need to do is "wash" both sides on Sunday morning. This will get rid of any dirt on the bad side and any rubber on the good side.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 00:50 (Ref:324817)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it's just part of racing, and in reality, it can't be fixed much can it? I suppose you could wash the track, but really, why bother? Just means there is not grip anywhere then...
Old 1 Jul 2002, 03:20 (Ref:324847)   #4
yintandiddleipo
Rookie

yintandiddleipo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why can't they just alter the starting positions, push the odd numbered side a bit further back?
Old 1 Jul 2002, 03:40 (Ref:324854)   #5
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is where consistency and the ability to always use the racing line will determine their commitment and resilience on the track.

They can't always have everything so perfectly laid and on silver platter.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 05:34 (Ref:324866)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with Juke. A dirty track is part of racing. Frankly, I think drivers should stop complaining about it. Qualify better next time!!!
Old 1 Jul 2002, 09:25 (Ref:324975)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The unfair part comes in where being on P3 is bettre than P2 on many tracks. In fact, in all cases, where drivers have veered onto the "non-racing line" side, like JPM did in the last race, they lose out big time. I don't think there is any practical way to avoid this problem, because rubber seem to be getting stickier, and the racing line is the place to be in both accelerating from teh start as well as braking into the corner.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 1 Jul 2002, 10:24 (Ref:325010)   #8
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just one of those things...in Austria they were out before the practice sessions and the race with sweepers to try and clear some of the dust off the track, but to be fair, it's a minor problem compared with whatever else they have to face at the moment!
Old 1 Jul 2002, 10:55 (Ref:325023)   #9
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One odd thing, in the recent Canadian GP...there are loads of rubbish laying aroun on the track. Funny i always thought that Canadians are the spick-and-span type of people :confused:
Old 1 Jul 2002, 10:58 (Ref:325027)   #10
Total-F1
Veteran

The "rubbish" was from the blossom trees down at the bottom end of the circuit
Old 1 Jul 2002, 12:12 (Ref:325079)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Yeah!! Maybe if they cut all the trees down, there wouldn't be any rubbish blowing around

Old 1 Jul 2002, 14:36 (Ref:325194)   #12
Total-F1
Veteran

Maybe that's what they thought at the new-look Hockenheimring
Old 1 Jul 2002, 15:02 (Ref:325217)   #13
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe they should have one of those 'ice rink' type machines that could clean the grid before the race. and it could be sponsered by jaguar then at least they'd have something resonably quick on the grid.

Last edited by Spaced Invader; 1 Jul 2002 at 15:04.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 22:52 (Ref:325487)   #14
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the worst one is Imola where 3rd practically starts alongside second when you consider the curving nature of the run to the first corner!

As for the dirty side, its part of racing, they do what they can in the warm up. No need to do anything about it IMO.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 15:23 (Ref:325917)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For the first race at Indy, didn't McSchu and whoever was on outside front row petition to get the grid moved back, so that the front starters wouldn't have to contend with the brick strip whilst accelerating?

I think it would be fair to zamboni the starting grid and the next 100 metres or so (staying well outside the braking zone for corner 1, mind).

Another fair solution would be to give the drivers choice of starting position in the order they qualified. So, if you qualified 2nd, you could line up behind the pole should you choose (or if you qualified 6th, you could line up behind 5th, etc.).

Qualifying is about getting grid advantage over your adversaries, right? Why should the driver who qualifies 3rd have a better starting position due to track conditions than the one who qualifies 2nd?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 2 Jul 2002, 18:30 (Ref:326013)   #16
Total-F1
Veteran

Actually, that's a bit of a stupid idea.

Why would I want to sit for an hour watch a Qualifying session that wasn't even a Qualifying session?

Tell you what - let's make it safer for the drivers, and just let them pull straws out of a helmet!
Old 2 Jul 2002, 20:00 (Ref:326074)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Total-F1
Actually, that's a bit of a stupid idea.
Got a better one?

Quote:
Why would I want to sit for an hour watch a Qualifying session that wasn't even a Qualifying session?
You consider what you're watching now a qualifying session? If you don't get pole, then (according to the drivers who are complaining) you get rewarded based on whether you got an even or odd spot? If you're sitting third, with JPM second, why try to outqualify him?

f1manoz said "A dirty track is part of racing... Qualify better next time!!!" What about the assertion that 3rd spot is better than 2nd spot for starting? Do you say "qualify worse next time!"?

But as I think about it, giving drivers an option doesn't help enough to warrant the confusion introduced. The problem is standing starts were more fair when grip was more uniform - shoddy (compared to today's) tires or slicks (massively better).

They could realign the starting position so that, under neutral starts, third cannot overtake second, 5th overtake 4th, etc. Make the drivers / cars earn the pass. (How, though? Spread 'em out? Ugh.)

Better to equalize the grip, I think.

Last edited by paul-collins; 2 Jul 2002 at 20:00.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 2 Jul 2002, 21:43 (Ref:326151)   #18
yintandiddleipo
Rookie

yintandiddleipo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Total-F1

Tell you what - let's make it safer for the drivers, and just let them pull straws out of a helmet!

YES!!!!!!

It's too easy to dismiss that as a dumb idea, think about how many times Schumie has carved his way through traffic (anyone recall '95 when he was Q16 and won, can't remember what race). Overtaking is possible, if you try - ie Coulthard won't be doing much (witness Bernoldi) & neither would Ralfie (see any number of races). Who cares if Sato starts on pole, he will have spun off by the 5th lap anyway.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 21:53 (Ref:326160)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by yintandiddleipo

anyone recall '95 when he was Q16 and won, can't remember what race
Spa.....1995
Old 3 Jul 2002, 01:48 (Ref:326263)   #20
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Another fair solution would be to give the drivers choice of starting position in the order they qualified. So, if you qualified 2nd, you could line up behind the pole should you choose (or if you qualified 6th, you could line up behind 5th, etc.).
Giving the drivers the choice of grid spots is a great idea. I am all for it.
Old 3 Jul 2002, 04:55 (Ref:326294)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I'm sure that Eddie would want to choose the front row.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 3 Jul 2002 at 04:59.