Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 23 Jul 2010, 11:48 (Ref:2731109)   #1
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
300 mph....

Guys,
Been on here a long time... shared a few opinions, hopefully offered some advice. But despite this (!) I feel that my life is a little unfulfilled.
A recent (major) birthday and the impending arrival of another kid got me thinking about the record books...
We looked closely at the 24hr records for a production car, sorted a manufacturer and a track but the costs of the FIA inspection killed the project.
Then I heard of a Bonneville Streamliner for sale... 2 guys who built it had decided it had just got too quick for them but they wanted a younger (!) man to run it to it's full potential on the Salt Lake this August.
So Aug 14th -20th I'm going to make an attempt on the 1 litre turbo Land Speed Record... 313mph is the current mark, so a fraction over 500kph...
It won't be easy and it won't be safe. But I'm not sure anything worth doing is...
And if I break a record over 300mph I get Life Membership to the Bonneville 300mph club. Only 6 Brits are in there currently we think, Sir Malcolm Campbell, Donald Campbell, John Cobb, Capt GET Eyston, Richard Noble + Wing Cmdr Andy Green. I would be #7.

I'm not doing it for charity, I'm not doing it for publicity, I'm doing it because it's there.

Wish me luck? And keep an eye out, there is supposed to be a live blog happening on Evo magazines website where I'll try and keep you all updated.

Cheers
Rick
Old 23 Jul 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2731148)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP:Clio51 View Post
Wish me luck?
Absolutely, go for it. And be sure to keep us informed, sounds like you'll be having a ball. You'll certainly need them!
Old 23 Jul 2010, 13:04 (Ref:2731153)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Well what can I say except what an amazing thing to do ! I wish you all the luck in the world. Just the sort of thing I would have tried 40 + years ago (mind you Burt Munro kept going for years )
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Jul 2010, 13:16 (Ref:2731158)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
rick, you're officially stark raving bonkers. your poor missus!
hope all is well
Old 23 Jul 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2731222)   #5
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK - you are officially insane!
and I am officially jealous, but in awe - Go for it!
Old 23 Jul 2010, 15:28 (Ref:2731223)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Best of luck and please keep us informed of how it's going. I'd move this to the 'Total Lunatics' forum if we had one
Old 23 Jul 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2731240)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Excellent, go for it. But I won't wish you luck (don't believe in it) - lots of professionalism and big balls should do it...
Old 23 Jul 2010, 15:59 (Ref:2731245)   #8
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget to pack your bicycle clips!
Old 23 Jul 2010, 17:08 (Ref:2731297)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know how many pints too many you had when you thought of this, but in all seriousness the whole forum wishes you the best.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2731350)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been out there before and it is an interesting place.

Drive safe, have your wits about you and do well.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2731386)   #11
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
go for it matey and keep us all upto date pleeeeez .
Old 24 Jul 2010, 09:03 (Ref:2731616)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I'm not doing it for charity, I'm not doing it for publicity, I'm doing it because it's there.
What a refreshing change! With motivation like that I hope you succeed.

Good luck!
Old 24 Jul 2010, 22:42 (Ref:2731968)   #13
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best of very British luck my boy! Give it some!
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:02 (Ref:2732120)   #14
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
What a project........well done!

I'll wish you luck....just in case it exists!

Now I need a crossed-fingers smiley.....
Old 25 Jul 2010, 23:01 (Ref:2732914)   #15
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GFI!
Old 26 Jul 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2733143)   #16
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you've not been to the Salt, you will never be able to understand the draw... and if you have been, you'll still not be able to understand the magic of the place.

I implore everyone like us with petrol in our veins to visit once, I had the opportunity to go and was pretty ambilvalent about it, but once there I was totally hooked. This is known as "Getting Salt", and it's pretty common.

I dont' seem to be able to post pictures on here any more, (probably something to do with the new-fangled subscription thing), but there's a few pictures of the car on
www.speedscotland.com
and
www.oneliterlandspeed.com
for those interested....

Thanks for all the support, I've passed thru the waking up in a cold sweat at night wondering what I've signed up for stage now... although it has to be said, it does make you question your sanity and ask a few questions about your mortality...

The car is a gem, she can do the speed I have no doubt, and to be honest, all the time nothing goes wrong it's going to just be feed the power in steadily (salt grip is not dissimilar to wet tarmac) and hold her straight and keep the throttle pushed... not high skill driving just down to the cajones... but then if the wind gusts... she's 21 inches wide and 22 feet long, so like a motorbike she'll try and highside you... that's where the driving talent will be required (or the skill to know when you need to bang out both parachutes and hold on tight). And she's got metal disks for front wheels so I'm a but dubious if she's steer particularly well!

The biggest hurdle will be mental, you get into the car by laying flat in the seat with your knees up, then sliding up the seat until your crash helmet is trapped between the roll cage and your chin is forced on to your chest. It is VERY claustrophobic even before she fires up... and before you put on your dragster-spec race suit (which is basically twice the weight of Nomex).

Will keep you all posted on here. REALLY appreciate the support and kind words... as I said, it's just me and a record because it's there and for no other reason than that.

(Although a So-Cal Speed Association UNLIMITED speed licence has got to be a cool thing to mistakenly show the motorway rozzers and the blue hat of the Bonneville 300mph club will look good on my head when I'm 90 years old in the retirement home! Plus I wanted to announce something worthwhile to celebrate 1000 posts on here!)

I'll also be paying my own tribute to the Brits that went before, since the first 4 won't have worn Nomex, in fact, they did it in shirt sleeves and flying goggles, I'm having my dragster suit made up to look like a dinner jacket and trousers... including nomex bow tie.

Watch out, the Brits are back!

Think fast thoughts for me...
Cheers
Rick
Old 27 Jul 2010, 13:28 (Ref:2733990)   #17
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Got room for a Ten-Tenths sticker on that contraption? :P
Old 27 Jul 2010, 15:14 (Ref:2734019)   #18
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's a fantastic project, all the best to you!
Old 27 Jul 2010, 15:21 (Ref:2734020)   #19
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazing! The real stuff of dreams, I'm sure you'll do great!
Old 27 Jul 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2734024)   #20
ton182
Rookie

England
Atlanta GA
ton182 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck!! Sounds like a great idea and I will be looking out for more updates on this great challenge you are undertaking!!!
Old 27 Jul 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2734027)   #21
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Fantastic. And all done for the best of reasons.

Good luck.

Jim
Old 27 Jul 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2734169)   #22
Veteran

England
Zurich
There's 21 feet of bodywork to squeeze a 10-tenths sticker or two on if someone sends me some or points out where I can acquire them?
Cheers for the support!
Rick
Old 27 Jul 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2734200)   #23
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
There's 21 feet of bodywork to squeeze a 10-tenths sticker or two on if someone sends me some or points out where I can acquire them?
Cheers for the support!
Rick
I'm sure we can get something sorted!
Old 27 Jul 2010, 22:28 (Ref:2734274)   #24
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats a mad mad thing fair play to you .i will be looking out for ya .
Old 29 Jul 2010, 06:25 (Ref:2734953)   #25
Veteran

England
Zurich
Well the full story and blog are up on the Evo mag website, think fast thoughts for us!

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/featur...ph_record.html

Cheers