Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Aug 2003, 23:02 (Ref:688636)   #26
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I "might" be going back to uni that weekend... hmm I'll have to see how it goes!
Old 15 Aug 2003, 01:21 (Ref:688684)   #27
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had to miss the FoS this year, but will be attending my first Revival.

Bob Marley
Old 15 Aug 2003, 06:34 (Ref:688746)   #28
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vitesse - you will love it!
Aside from the 'fashion show' and the fantastic surroundings, often likened to a film set, the racing is absolutely first class. Each race will have a full grid of mouthwatering cars. The Tourist Trophy GT grid is said to be worth more than £30 million alone. The first revival in '98 and the stunning impact it made upon everyone who attended was largeley responsible for the huge boom in historic racing today, as many cars have been restored and returned to the tracks - because of Goodwood. It is, as 'Motor Sport' had on it's front cover after the inaugural meeting ' Historic Heaven'. Enjoy.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 06:52 (Ref:688750)   #29
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
whilst I agree it is a great weekend I think the organisers of the much missed Coys Festival, the Oldtimers and several other racing festivals might disagree that it was responsible for the boom in historic racing although clearly has played an important part.
What will be more interesting is how the historic racing scene is effected by the recession we are now entering.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 08:10 (Ref:688788)   #30
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should be there, hopefully with my brother and a couple of others.
Looking forward to the RAC 1 hour race as there are a more 250GTO's than before and 3 Cobra Daytonas making the trip from the US acording to Classic Car Mag, add that to the normal 330's 250's & E types and it should be a great event.

Can anyone confirm the RAC test days for this years race I wonder?
Old 15 Aug 2003, 09:17 (Ref:688816)   #31
ianselva
Rookie

ianselva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although the first Coys was responsible for getting me back into racing, and I always enjoyed it as a competitor or spectator, none of the other Historic events in the UK except the FoS seem to draw big crowds . Very strange
Old 15 Aug 2003, 09:43 (Ref:688836)   #32
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess all the organisers must ask themselves that question!
BRDC 75th Aniversary meeting was the nearest competitor this year in terms of spectators and with a small amount of tweaking could be turned into a new Coys type meeting
Old 15 Aug 2003, 09:57 (Ref:688847)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Eclectic, thats a great idea! I could turn up on my '59 Lambretta as a sleazy perv, smoking and drinking xxxtra strong coffee

Simon, half the people there are so minted recessions dont make any difference do they? maybe one or two of them may have to mothball the odd 250 GTO for a year to avoid the insurance premiums
Old 15 Aug 2003, 10:03 (Ref:688851)   #34
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The attraction of Goodwood IMHO is the fact that the cars race on an unmolested track pretty much the same as it was 40 years ago. Add to that the keen & helpful staff, exotic world wide mix of cars & drivers and hey presto........
Old 15 Aug 2003, 10:04 (Ref:688854)   #35
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I missed out the 'Italian' between sleazy and perv ! :d
Old 15 Aug 2003, 10:20 (Ref:688882)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
.................I could turn up on my '59 Lambretta as a sleazy perv, smoking and drinking xxxtra strong coffee
No change there then.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 12:38 (Ref:689003)   #37
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
blimey . . .you know me intimately and we havent even met yet !
Old 15 Aug 2003, 12:43 (Ref:689009)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Word gets around.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 14:55 (Ref:689132)   #39
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I met my lover at the first Coys's she still lives with me yet so it must have been a good idea to play with old cars!

Do any of you remember the StutZ Club tent, full of early americana?

Rumour has it from two VERY well informed sources, that the Aon Group have offered to support the VSCC Donnington weekend and try to recreate the old Coy's feeling there next year.. We have already booked a space for the Stutz Club!

In that case, Jinny and I will be there.

Last edited by eclectic; 15 Aug 2003 at 14:57.

Steve McQueen.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 15:02 (Ref:689138)   #40
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
I could turn up on my '59 Lambretta as a sleazy perv, smoking and drinking xxxtra strong coffee.
Last year my brother set off to the main gate to collect a guest, dressed in tweeds and reversed flat cap, on one of those bizarre pushbikes with a tiny petrol engine. As he returned to the paddock, the bikes were in parc ferme and a marshal was holding back spectators. Clearly confused, though, he let my brother through, and he rode through the paddock between Barry Sheene and Wayne Gardener.

Just in case someone got a photo of him...

Eclectic, trust me it isn't a toff's fashion parade. It's like a giant fancy dress party, and worth a little effort. Overalls, beret, cravat and Gauloises would work fine (though it would help if you actually had a mechanics armband!)
Old 15 Aug 2003, 15:19 (Ref:689148)   #41
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Ive got a few mechanics armbands from previous years . . . .dunno if theyd work again though

theres was a small pic of me tweeded up, in motorsport, just avoiding being run over by Jackie Oliver in Parc Ferme 2 years ago, just before he came in and stopped on my brogues in the pit lane for the driver change!
Old 15 Aug 2003, 18:12 (Ref:689250)   #42
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would agree that Goodwood has built on what has gone before, rather than being the catalyst for a historic revival, but what it has done is entice some choice cars out of retirement.

It has its own unique flavour, partly because of the unmolested track, partly because of the extraordinary collection of machinery, and yes, partly because of the "film set" presentation which requests that the spectators become a part of the scene-setting.

And that's one of the things I love about Goodwood. The fact that they do ask the paying public to enter into the spirit of things and take trouble to do their own preparation for the meeting. So much more pleasurable than being herded into one of Bernie's boxes at a corporate Silverstone.

If the competitors have to keep their wheels pointing in the right direction for their part, the least I can do is keep my tie straight and my hat brushed for the duration of the meeting!

Incidentally, Eclectic, why is it I can just picture you with the overalls, cravat and Gauloises?! Perhaps you should go for it!
Old 15 Aug 2003, 21:41 (Ref:689381)   #43
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
D'accord.. mais oui! With authentic bleu de travail, I'll be there next year... well maybe!

Steve McQueen.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 22:53 (Ref:692698)   #44
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i envy your all. I have marshalled all the previous Revivals but I shall miss it this year as I shall be honeymooning in Turkey. I did suggest we should honeymoon in Chicester but the she wouldn't have it. If your're marshalling have a safe one. If it's your first visit you'll wonder why you didn't go before. I haven't met anyone who didn't enjoy themselves. Just hope the weather holds out. There's nothing like Goodwood on a sunny day.

Steve B
Old 20 Aug 2003, 06:06 (Ref:692866)   #45
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Oh dear Steve... I don't somehow think that the ground rules have been properly established Here! Turkey? Is there any Historic/Vintage racing there? If not, who suggested it as a suitable venue for an honeymoon? My recollection of that sort of thing goes back over 30 years... All we needed was a comfortable bed.. and not too hot! Come to think of it there were no old cars on Skye either.

Steve McQueen.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 07:29 (Ref:692910)   #46
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well don't go away for your anniversary next year Steve! Or if you do, insist on Chichester.
Congrats anyway..have a good time in Turkey.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 07:31 (Ref:692912)   #47
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Divorce last year meant I was able to attend my first Revival meeting as it always fell on my wedding anniversary
Old 20 Aug 2003, 12:22 (Ref:693140)   #48
simon drabble
Veteran

will it be on Motors TV?
Old 20 Aug 2003, 12:55 (Ref:693186)   #49
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I don't think Stephen's divorce is somthing for a motoring programme do you?
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:17 (Ref:693226)   #50
simon drabble
Veteran

I think it is totally suitable and topical! no disrespect Stephen!!! I was of course referring to Goodwood as I probably wont go but would try and watch a bit of it on the telly!