Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Sep 2003, 10:37 (Ref:718312)   #51
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great shot Andrew, those guys are nutters .

By the by, were you present in your capacity as an artist or were you purely spectating?
Old 14 Sep 2003, 18:00 (Ref:718673)   #52
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damon, hi.
Both! Getting photos for projects and catching up with customers in the paddock.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 10:55 (Ref:721657)   #53
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a Goodwood Revival highlights programme on ITV this Saturday at 2pm.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 11:22 (Ref:721671)   #54
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
great I feared it might have been last weekend and I had missed it
Old 19 Sep 2003, 15:45 (Ref:724357)   #55
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just bring this back to the top to remind people that the Revival is on telly this saturday at 2pm ITV.
Old 21 Sep 2003, 15:14 (Ref:725626)   #56
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here in the US, Speed Channel ran a 1 hour program on the FOS. It was mostly about the hill climb portion, however. I can't remember the host's name, but he was assisted by Doug Nye and there was a lengthly interview with Jim Hall. Is that the same program as mentioned being on ITV?
Old 21 Sep 2003, 17:26 (Ref:725685)   #57
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, Flatlander
The Festival of Speed is the hillclimb/garden party at Goodwood House featuring cars from the first to the latest
The Revival Meeting, which people are discussing here, is a proper race meetung held at the nearby circuit and limited to cars of the type that could have raced at Goodwood in period (1948-66)
Old 21 Sep 2003, 22:38 (Ref:725885)   #58
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the two events held during the same time period or are they separate all together?
Old 21 Sep 2003, 23:15 (Ref:725910)   #59
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Totally separate. The Festival of Speed (hillclimb) is always mid-July, timed so as to get maximum attendance from passing F1 celebrities and cars, and to hopefully get the Le Mans winner on display.

The Revival (circuit racing) is always in the first or second weekend of September.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 21:57 (Ref:727089)   #60
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Just bring this back to the top to remind people that the Revival is on telly this saturday at 2pm ITV.
Unfortunately, pretty minimal coverage, fronted by Louise Goodman, and nowhere near enough of the actual racing. I suppose we have to be grateful for small mercies!
Old 22 Sep 2003, 23:12 (Ref:727150)   #61
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by John Turner
Unfortunately, pretty minimal coverage, fronted by Louise Goodman, and nowhere near enough of the actual racing. I suppose we have to be grateful for small mercies!
It may have been minimal but it reminded me of what I was missing as I was sunning myself in Turkey on Honeymoon.
Hoping to get to Goodwood next year.
BTW. I don't suppose a certain Yellow Ferrari 250LM was present this year, the one that went off big style at St Mary's last year.

Steve B
Old 22 Sep 2003, 23:56 (Ref:727175)   #62
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by John Turner
If that's not enough....Motors TV seem to devote an entire night to it next Sunday, from 9pm!
Old 23 Sep 2003, 00:06 (Ref:727177)   #63
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by stevebrown
I don't suppose a certain Yellow Ferrari 250LM was present this year, the one that went off big style at St Mary's last year.

Steve B
You're not going to believe it, but Juan Barazi's 250LM was back, gleaming, immaculate and perfectly restored this year. It looks none the worse for its violent meeting with the Fordwater/St Marys tyre wall.

The Tec Mec too was back, and most surprising and delighting of all to me was the return of the Flack family's BRM P25. It has been fully restored after Spencer's fatal accident in Australia, and the restoration has incorporated much original bodywork which had been removed in previous rebuilds. A fine tribute to a great racer in my opinion.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 03:23 (Ref:727251)   #64
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys have access to the coolest event in motorsport.
There are places where you can see some of the cars, but there is nowhere you can see such a diverse cross section...everything from antique oddities to modern F1 cars...Can-Am..motorcycles and the names..So many famous people in such a relaxed atmosphere...there is nothing like it anywhere. There are not compliments enough for what Lord March does and this 10th year was fantastic.
Anyone that doesn't attend is just flat crazy,
in my humble opinion,,,, I'd rather attend the full Goodwood than attend an F1 race...Alas I doubt I'll ever make it.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 04:02 (Ref:727262)   #65
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
strad never say never, One day you'll make it.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 09:32 (Ref:727443)   #66
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You wouldn't believe how far people come just for these to events (although, thinkin about it, I guess you would!), I really take it for granted being 20 minutes down the road.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 23:00 (Ref:728196)   #67
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
You're not going to believe it, but Juan Barazi's 250LM was back, gleaming, immaculate and perfectly restored this year. It looks none the worse for its violent meeting with the Fordwater/St Marys tyre wall.
Blimey! That must have been some restoration job. Hats off to whoever rebuilt it. I was at post 4, Fordwater, last year on the Friday when he took the back end off in free practice. He got another back end for the race and demolished the front on the Sunday. I was on post 7, St Mary's then and we went to help The guys at 6 clear it up. You should have seen the lake of oil on the track. The thing is he was actually smiling when he got out!

Steve B
Old 25 Sep 2003, 20:13 (Ref:730097)   #68
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I caught this accident, initially in the background, on my camcorder and it was a fearful impact, the car sitting there in the middle of the track with every panel damaged and smoke and steam pouring off it. It was a huge relief to see Barazi climb out and walk away unscathed. However, to tell the truth, the accident was not a huge surprise; he had been going in there ever deeper each lap.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 25 Sep 2003, 22:48 (Ref:730236)   #69
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was this the car that, after it's first accident apparently had the rear end rebuilt with duct tape (with the clamshell neatly taped up in the style of the Columbian flag)?
I heard he had only had the car a fortnight, and clocked up about £250k of damage in three days
Old 26 Sep 2003, 08:42 (Ref:730537)   #70
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yep, sounds about right!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 7 Oct 2003, 06:52 (Ref:742620)   #71
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
My first visit on the historical forum : what a place !

Sorry to ask, but where is GoodWood on the map ? And when is it planned to run in 2004 ? I may try to have a trip around, if not too far in the north , and if the meeting is not too close from... Le Mans Classic ! (nice shot heebeegeetee !)

Last edited by Fab; 7 Oct 2003 at 06:53.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 06:55 (Ref:742624)   #72
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The Festival of Speed is normally the weekend before or after the British GP, so July. The Revival Meeting seems to be the 1st or 2nd weekend in September as a rule.

Goodwood is off the M27/A27 not too far from Chichester.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 07:42 (Ref:742665)   #73
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Fab, what Stephen was no doubt just about to tell you is that Chichester (and thus Goodwood) is right down on the south coast of England and so a short drive from Dover, Portsmouth or Southampton.

Hope to see you there! (and at Le Mans Classic too of course)
Old 7 Oct 2003, 07:48 (Ref:742673)   #74
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Ahh yes, I forgot that vital part
Old 8 Oct 2003, 07:53 (Ref:743717)   #75
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Thank you Tim and Stephen ! Good news that Goodwood is so close from the coast : I could afford a trip there with my friend and co-mod Ayse(dasi), who seems to be a neighbour of the event

BTW, Stephen, are you a relative of Cristopher and Willy (Green)?