Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Which will be the first 2020 GP?
Australia 0 0%
Bahrain 0 0%
Vietnam 0 0%
China 0 0%
Netherlands 0 0%
Spain 0 0%
Monaco 0 0%
Azerbaijan 0 0%
Canada 2 5.13%
France 2 5.13%
Austria 1 2.56%
Britain 3 7.69%
Hungary 0 0%
Belgium 3 7.69%
Italy 0 0%
Singapore 2 5.13%
Russia 0 0%
Japan 2 5.13%
United States 1 2.56%
Mexico 0 0%
Brazil 0 0%
Abu Dhabi 2 5.13%
Somewhere else 0 0%
There will not be a 2020 GP 21 53.85%
There will never be another GP 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Jul 2020, 06:49 (Ref:3991552)   #1776
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*sigh*

It's England and Wales. And you have to read the contract which is why I said I'd simplified it. But, since I've been attending webinars on this very subject I can tell you that so far nobody has got away with "change of law" as an excuse for non performance. One reason is that whenever these things happen under contract law the parties have to mitigate. I can cite many cases that support me but as my rates are quite high I'll leave it there. Happy to provide advice should anyone require my professional services.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 30 Jul 2020 at 06:55.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 08:42 (Ref:3991571)   #1777
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry Peter

Just for my own info.

Can you be held liable for not performing an illegal act specified in a contract?

Your fee is in the post.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 08:53 (Ref:3991578)   #1778
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lol.

Define "illegal".
Old 30 Jul 2020, 09:38 (Ref:3991588)   #1779
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Lol.

Define "illegal".
In this case, a gathering our political masters have decided in their wisdom may not happen, make it a criminal offence to disobey their legislation and use the imperial storm troopers to enforce?
Old 30 Jul 2020, 09:57 (Ref:3991592)   #1780
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, but that isn't anything to do with the organisation of the event. Difficult isn't it?
Old 30 Jul 2020, 09:59 (Ref:3991593)   #1781
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Define "illegal".
When its a lamb not a sheep is what the Judge said last time.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 10:04 (Ref:3991594)   #1782
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Again?

Think of it this way. It's not illegal to go to the office or work on the building site. It is a safety requirement to observe the social distancing rules and/or take the necessary precautions. So, you can organise a race but you can't have spectators. This of course is the case in the UK at present (all countries).

So, just because it's more difficult, or you won't make any money, it's not force majeure.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 11:07 (Ref:3991622)   #1783
wnut
Veteran

Essentially

Take a lotto ticket at a court near you.

Jurisdictional issues will be interesting too.

Melbourne will be interesting in that they had an event and the FIA / Liberty pulled the plug, good to see how the conflicting precedents work out.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 11:10 (Ref:3991623)   #1784
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes indeed, although another point is the law of the contract since these are international contracts. Any clauses will be determined in accordance with the law of the contract, rather than the law of the land.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 17:43 (Ref:3991693)   #1785
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Surely the promoters knew that NO global championship was going to visit either country in the current situation?
Old 30 Jul 2020, 18:07 (Ref:3991699)   #1786
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes but they signed the contract before the pandemic happened.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 19:53 (Ref:3991948)   #1787
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yes indeed, although another point is the law of the contract since these are international contracts. Any clauses will be determined in accordance with the law of the contract, rather than the law of the land.

Don't most contracts specify which country's legal system will be applicable in determining contractual terms ?
Old 31 Jul 2020, 20:57 (Ref:3991962)   #1788
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yes but they signed the contract before the pandemic happened.
Yes, but have been almost in denial since.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 31 Jul 2020, 21:08 (Ref:3991967)   #1789
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Don't most contracts specify which country's legal system will be applicable in determining contractual terms ?
Yes and we dont know which one is applicable to F1.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 21:08 (Ref:3991968)   #1790
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Yes, but have been almost in denial since.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Indeed,
Old 1 Aug 2020, 03:00 (Ref:3991993)   #1791
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Bernie probably had a deal with "most wonderful country Khazakstan" ( from Borat) to ensure he got the results out of the courts he wanted.
Old 1 Aug 2020, 09:50 (Ref:3992029)   #1792
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lol, they use the Russian Civil Code. Another issue is the seat of Arbitration, assuming they have a dispute process, because that determines the law covering any disputes.

I confess this conversation is more fun than the events IMO.
Old 1 Aug 2020, 12:47 (Ref:3992053)   #1793
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its been very fun to read. Thank you

Would this be something the FIA dictates? Contracts are effectively signed in France/French law?

Or is it like the driver contract board which is based in Switzerland I think?

Also about the race contracts...i would have thought that race cancellations/postponements had more to do with their insurance carriers although from what i understanding most if not all policies don't consider pandemics as a reason to pay out for any resulting loss of business?
Old 1 Aug 2020, 15:53 (Ref:3992103)   #1794
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Its been very fun to read. Thank you

Would this be something the FIA dictates? Contracts are effectively signed in France/French law?

Or is it like the driver contract board which is based in Switzerland I think?

Also about the race contracts...i would have thought that race cancellations/postponements had more to do with their insurance carriers although from what i understanding most if not all policies don't consider pandemics as a reason to pay out for any resulting loss of business?
Well the country where you sign the contract has nothing to do with the law of the contract, so I don't know what jurisdiction they use. As this is an international series, racing all over the world, I'd suggest English law since it is the main (much to French annoyance) business law. Insurances are a contractual requirement in any agreement but to trigger them you need an insurable event. Otherwise it has to be a settlement (contract variation) between the parties.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 12:17 (Ref:3992281)   #1795
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And to add to Peter's comments, it has to be borne in mind that the teams' and circuits' (race promoters') contracts are with FOM, not the FIA. And FOM, owned now by Liberty, are based in the UK.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 12:40 (Ref:3992285)   #1796
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the position if a GP is cancelled by the Government and not the promoter? Further to this question what would happen if the Government decided not to allow the F1 event to run in their country for the projected time of any existing contracts the promoter may have? I can see money that used to be spent by governments to enable F1 events might not be available in some countries because the live audience numbers either are limited or just not interested due to the health risks involved.

I doubt very much if the AGP will run next year and there will be no way the date will be shifted as the current issues in Victoria are extremely serious and once it is under control the governement will in all likelyhood just not allow the event at all. The general consensus here is though the announcement is yet to be made the AGP is a dead duck for perhaps two years at least.

The current problem was caused largely because complacency stepped in and people thought the worst was over so there is no way the government is going to allow that to happen again. Oz is basicaly going to be a gaol for perhaps the next two years or a vaccine is found. It looks like anyone entering has to pay for their own quarantine expenses ($3000AUD) as well which is going to put a lot of people off the idea of coming here.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 14:54 (Ref:3992357)   #1797
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lots of questions and only the contract wording will allow us the answer. Effectively if the law is changed to ban motorsport then the organisers can claim a change in law. But it really does depend on the words in the contract.

In my world this whole thing is creating a new legal and contractual concept. Unfortunately some folks are sticking with the contract which won't assist in the long run.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 19:29 (Ref:3992546)   #1798
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Lots of questions and only the contract wording will allow us the answer. Effectively if the law is changed to ban motorsport then the organisers can claim a change in law. But it really does depend on the words in the contract.

In my world this whole thing is creating a new legal and contractual concept. Unfortunately some folks are sticking with the contract which won't assist in the long run.
Along the lines of contract language. Imagine the impact this pandemic will have/is having on future language.

Richard
Old 2 Aug 2020, 19:46 (Ref:3992555)   #1799
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It strikes me that with this Liberty are working with most race organisers rather than arguing over who wins a contract battle. All interested in the longer term for their mutual benefit. Brazil being a notable exception.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 20:47 (Ref:3992584)   #1800
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Along the lines of contract language. Imagine the impact this pandemic will have/is having on future language.

Richard
Indeed. In fact a lot of organisations are suggesting collaboration rather than strict contractual arguments. FIDIC in particular.