Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jul 2020, 18:15 (Ref:3991111)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
If Nico and Lewis had the same car and Nico won then no way can anyone say Lewis was the best driver that year, other drivers oerhaps but Lewis was beaten that year by Nico.
well when you say it like that i guess so!
Old 27 Jul 2020, 22:22 (Ref:3991143)   #17
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the answer is easy. I would explain that F1 is two simultaneous and overlapping competition. As we all know there is both the constructor and driver championships. One impacts the other. Dont think of F1 as a single competition.

As to the spirit of the question, right now tip to tail there is too much performance differences for the best driver to win in the worst car. But along those lines, I also dont think the worst driver in the best car would beat all others either. But I think we all agree the cars are the primary factor at the moment (not taking away the awesome skills of a few at the top like Hamilton)

As others stated, the better cars tend to have the better (at least proven) drivers. And of course there are few absolutes. We can probably find a few exceptions to the above assertions.

Richard
Old 27 Jul 2020, 22:41 (Ref:3991146)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
What was it and who was it said that Mansell's 92 Williams was so superior even a monkey could get in it and still win?

A tad OTT but when a car is at times 2sec a lap faster than the field (see also 2002, 2004 Ferraris) even a tail end F1 driver is going to be in the hunt in such equipment.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 22:45 (Ref:3991147)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!
It is pretty simple. The teams will try and build the best car and let the drivers do the job. Really if a team really wants a constructor title it will hire the two best drivers available. The drivers title is just as important to the teams in my view and so would need to be careful to make sure the two drivers donít take points off each other. But the driversí title means more to the public no doubt

Of course weíve got this situation atm where one team is a step ahead of the rest in terms of performance. We just have to hope this domination doesnít last. Itís hard for any driver to win in a mediocre car, but thatís always been the case, even back to the good old days. And even in the best car, the first person to beat is your team mate.

It also depends how close the competition is, as itís a lot easier for a driver to make a difference if the field is pretty much evenly matched, which is certainly not the case atm. But the cream always rises to the top no matter what, hence why you see top teams with top drivers. Hence why you have Bottas alongside Hamilton at Merc. And of course the big teams can pay more if they really need a top class driver and that has been the case for a long time.

Anyway thatís my 2 cents FWIW