So are you lot REAL drivers?

What do you drive?
Old 23 Jul 2001, 02:37 (Ref:120375)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, I race at most UK curcuits and I've raced at Spa Francorchamps. My current car is a Group 1 Touring Car. A Capri 3.0s. You can see a few pics at my website which is listed in my profile. My most successful period was when I raced a MG Metro. Nearly won the championship but I missed three rounds because of business commitments (I went to Vietnam) so that was that. I'm taking this year out and my car is being re prepared so hoopefully by next season it will be developed to a higher level.
Old 23 Jul 2001, 10:52 (Ref:120474)   #3
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I 'race' (?!) in same series as Peter in a
CSCC Pre-83 Group 1 Touring Championship.
I have a 'bandit' car courtesy of Tom Walkinshaws rule adaption in 1979. Its a '82 Mazda RX7 12A

The car is very fast, loud, hot.......
I'm very slow, loud and not very hot either!!

<vbg>
IanC
Old 23 Jul 2001, 14:13 (Ref:120557)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
And I have watched you both racing at Brands Hatch! Nothing like classic touring cars to get the blood running is there? Jerry Marshal drove his old DTV Vauxhall Firenza at Goodwood this year. It's the first time I have seen the car since.....Hmmm....early 70's?

Stephen.
Old 23 Jul 2001, 18:31 (Ref:120652)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure I count...

I sprint my road going MG Midget 1500 in the MGCC Speed Championship.. some of the rounds happen on race circuits, so I reckon it's as near as it gets to being a pucka race driver!!

Cheap as chips as well, race suit, helmet and timing strut are about all you need.
Old 23 Jul 2001, 22:36 (Ref:120760)   #6
F1Babe
Rookie

F1Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, you are real drivers.

I've checked out all your websites.

Dan, your little yellow car is really cute!

Are there anymore racers out their?
Old 23 Jul 2001, 23:11 (Ref:120772)   #7
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Count me in I guess

I race a red/yellow Mini Cooper in the Mighty Minis championship.. This is my first year, and I wouldn't say I was a gifted racer, but I enjoy myself

My website has some race reports on it, and a few piccies..
Old 23 Jul 2001, 23:32 (Ref:120781)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Don't put yourself down old boy...! You look pretty good from the outside of the catch fencing and, having seen the onboard footage from Brands, not so bad from inside the cockpit either...!

Anyone who can amble back to the car with his overalls tied around his waist FIVE MINUTES after the tannoy announcement requesting his presence in the assembly area, slowly get into the car, chatting away like there's no tomorrow about the newly fixed ECU problems whilst the gang are shouting at him to get his arse into gear certainly has my respect - especially when he goes out, has his most entertaining drive to date, and then get out of the car at the end as if nothing unusual has happened. And all this when it's his first season and first visit to that track. And one of his competitors has roofed his car in front of him on the final corner!

You might be too ugly to make it to F1, but keep enjoying yourself and panicing your pit crew! If anyone's not visited Chris' site yet, I can heartily recommend it.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 00:45 (Ref:120833)   #9
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by F1Babe

Former Formula Ford. Still have the car. A Crossle F35. Wanna buy it?
Old 24 Jul 2001, 09:09 (Ref:120978)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Ahhh Chris, Mighty Mini's, what spectacular racing! I keep telling friends, if you want to see real wheel to wheel racing, go watch Mini's FFords etc. Forget the TOCA package where there's 30 minute practice and qualifying sessions, where marshals sit on the armco yawning away to themselves and wondering why they gave up their weekends!

The best meeting of the year for me is still the Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch in October. F1Babe, why not come long to that one and meet a few of the people from 10-tenths?

Regards,

Stephen.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 09:26 (Ref:120985)   #11
autosportfan
Rookie

autosportfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced in the Mini seven championship last year and am now racing an MGF in the MGCC MGF Challenge.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 09:29 (Ref:120986)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Mini Se7ens and Miglias are also some of the best races you will ever see. What made you move on to MGF's may I ask?

Stephen.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 09:47 (Ref:121002)   #13
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too attempt to race , also my first season . I run an ex-works Rover SD1 in the Classic Thunder Championship (run by CSCC-same package as Peter and yelwoci)- CT allows plenty of mods and I run with a 4.5l Tuscan engine and we are allowed slicks , I need a big fast car to make up for my driving difficencies. It's been a massive learning curve but I'm having fun and this is where I'll probably stay - I loved 70's saloon action as a kid - no aspirations to 'progress' beyond this series but one day would like to do Spa ! Who knows maybe next year if I get enough signatures this season and keep it in one piece!
Old 24 Jul 2001, 09:54 (Ref:121007)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Slowcoach, for goodness sake don't come and visit my gravel trap the next time your at Brands! I'm usually the Observer on the exit to Druids (post 6) and can be spotted by my bright red trainers!

Stephen
Old 24 Jul 2001, 10:01 (Ref:121014)   #15
autosportfan
Rookie

Mini Sevens got too expensive. A disintergrated pinion in the second round of the championship this year was the last straw. Someone I knew had an ex-MGF Cup car, which was not doing anything this year so he offered to lend it to me. Obviously the racing is not as good, but it is a great deal cheaper.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 10:02 (Ref:121016)   #16
autosportfan
Rookie

sorry i mean to say disintergrated piston.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 10:06 (Ref:121024)   #17
Slowcoach
Racer

Stephen , I'll certainly be trying avoid you,rest assured! I won't be back there this season though , did 3 races earlier in the season - shame as it's my 'local'.
For anyone whose interested there are some pics on www.pipcontrols.co.uk
Old 24 Jul 2001, 10:06 (Ref:121025)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Yes, I can see the costs being lower. The Mini Se7en and Miglia racing has become very competitive over the years although I always get the impression that the cameraderie is very good in the series?

Hope to see you in the MGF the next time you visit Brands then.

Stephen
Old 24 Jul 2001, 10:10 (Ref:121031)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Great picture Tony, I remember the car well but was interested to read it's history. The downside is it was driven by Stiff Needle I guess lol.

Did you know that several of the Brand Hatch marshals had a big hand in setting up 'Racing for Children'?

Stephen
Old 24 Jul 2001, 10:38 (Ref:121046)   #20
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by F1Babe
I currently race a Mazda RX7 in Group 1's, lot going on at the minute so haven't been out much lately. Should be out for Pembrey on the 1/2nd Sep though. Previously raced in BMW's and Hot Hatch.

I enjoy the classic stuff, decent atmosphere. Usually!

Stacy
Old 24 Jul 2001, 12:19 (Ref:121082)   #21
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I race a yellow & red Capri 3litre in the CSCC Group 1s. Been resting since Nov 99, but the car is now being prepped ready for Oulton in September.
F1 Babe, you should come over & watch.....
http://www.1156motorsport.com
http://www.thegrid.co.uk
Old 24 Jul 2001, 13:11 (Ref:121109)   #22
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I race a Ford 100E (don't laugh...) in the HRSR historic racing saloon series run by the HSCC (shock horror, not a CSCC bod ;-)

Great fun, occasionally get up with the Anglia's, and also enjoy sharing the car with my Dad in the Top Hat 1 hour races.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 13:27 (Ref:121119)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Now would we laugh? I used to own a 100E van. It was my first ever car so I have a soft spot for them. Especially the windscreen wipers that worked off a vacuum from the inlet/exhaust manifold. Take your foot off the throttle and they got crazy, accelerate and they virtually stop! Oh, such happy days.....

Stephen.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 13:42 (Ref:121123)   #24
Slowcoach
Racer

Laugh , Yimkin - no way , I had a 100E too , infact I did have two identical ones (one for spares) , ah yes those bloody windscreen wipers! so do you have all that , what was it called , aquaplane head ? or something , stuff to make it go a little faster?
By the way , welcome to the forum
Old 24 Jul 2001, 14:28 (Ref:121132)   #25
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Slowcoach
Laugh , Yimkin - no way , I had a 100E too , infact I did have two identical ones (one for spares) , ah yes those bloody windscreen wipers! so do you have all that , what was it called , aquaplane head ? or something , stuff to make it go a little faster?
By the way , welcome to the forum
Thanks very much! Our car isn't a sidevalve - its a 1500 pre-crossflow. Sounds odd, but we're allowed it because the car was rallied with that engine in the dim and distant by my dad (very early seventies - possibly late sixties - can't remember). Also the very last 100E's had this engine.
Its amazing at meetings how many people come up and tell us one was their first car! It must have been popular at driving schools. And it looks cute and different, which appeals to me....
Ours is all steel dry sumped with twin 40's etc - most of the tuning bits are period 'Martin'. Probably puts out about 110BHP - good enough for 1.18 round Silverstone national, and certainly enough to scare the pants off me on occasion!