Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Jun 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3907701)   #1
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Ford vs Ferrari movie

The trailer for the film which is released in November 2019 is out. It looks very good so far. Lots of potential for this to be one of the best racing movies in our generation.

It could genuinely promote the sport too. The general mainstream audience just does not know that sportscar racing is a superior form of racing to garbage like nascar.
Old 3 Jun 2019, 13:29 (Ref:3907703)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
the trailer looks good, lets hope the film is as well. Also if you think nascar is bad then you have not seen formuls 1 lately
Old 3 Jun 2019, 14:57 (Ref:3907719)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm really looking forward to it. If it's a quarter as good as the book, it should be excellent......
Old 3 Jun 2019, 17:10 (Ref:3907735)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
From the look of the trailers I’d say there has been quite a bit of research into it. Certainly a good lineup and the right characters involved in it
Old 3 Jun 2019, 21:11 (Ref:3907791)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It's mainly about Ford?
Old 3 Jun 2019, 22:29 (Ref:3907798)   #6
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
It's mainly about Ford?
It sure as heck ain’t about Ferrari
Old 3 Jun 2019, 22:31 (Ref:3907799)   #7
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
It's mainly about Ford?
Its the story of the Ford GT40
Old 4 Jun 2019, 08:27 (Ref:3907826)   #8
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think the main theme is about the relationships involved between the two men who ran ford and Enzo and the men hired to take that war to the track at Le Mans
Old 4 Jun 2019, 09:07 (Ref:3907829)   #9
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking forward to this, it looks good. Not looking forward to 50 years time though, the Epic " Toyota vs CLM : BOP Wars " quite so much....
Old 4 Jun 2019, 10:50 (Ref:3907835)   #10
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
Lizardfolk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car being crashed right next to Bale's Miles towards the end of that trailer is the #29 Maranello Concessionaires Ferrari that was driven by Courage and Pike in 1966 right?

That's a weird cut, I don't think #29 crashed at all and went on to finish the race.

Did they just make up a crash to make it "more dramatic"? LOL
Old 4 Jun 2019, 11:34 (Ref:3907841)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Probably, I don't think we can honestly expect it to be 100% authentic....
Old 4 Jun 2019, 12:07 (Ref:3907852)   #12
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Poetic Licence i think
Old 4 Jun 2019, 12:10 (Ref:3907854)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep. Trailer looks good though..... I bet we'll see plenty of that over at Le Mans in a few days. Count how many times they run it on the big screens during the week!
Old 4 Jun 2019, 12:29 (Ref:3907862)   #14
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
i wonder if the film company have thought of advertising on radio le mans. Could be good for both.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3907864)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Definitely!
Old 5 Jun 2019, 00:18 (Ref:3907973)   #16
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Probably, I don't think we can honestly expect it to be 100% authentic....
I remember the on track action for Rush was faithfully recreated wasn't it? Can't compare that to anything else since all the other racing movies are fiction except for 3 but I haven't seen that one.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 01:01 (Ref:3907976)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rush had quite a bit of artistic licence. Including pre 76 racing footage. A decent film, which conveyed some of the character of the real people. I still haven’t worked out how I feel about it. When the real life was such an amazing story does it have to have poetic licence. But entertaining it was.

Although on the realism I remember a comment from a guy in MI5 on the radio talking the Enigma film. He confirm it got two things absolutely spot on. The main character was called Alan Turing and there was definitely a Second World War.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 03:09 (Ref:3907986)   #18
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When the real deals are true characters like Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles, it's gonna be hard to match that. Lee Iaocca and HF2 for that matter...Enzo, too but who cares about him?!

HOWEVER, I wasn't alive during this time and have always loved the actual story. How Hollywoodfied it ends up being is what will be the tipping point.

Rush was well done to me, with those little things like me saying "that's not Suzuka, that's Brands Hatch!" Same with Days of Thunder. That's Rockingham, not Daytona!! One is a movie based on true events and the other is loosely based on real people but the inner workings of true stories into film will always be a chore.

Brühl and Hemsworth were good in Rush and I find Damon and Bale enjoyable, so the acting won't be an issue. Odd Damon is Shelby, tho....

Anyway, I'm generally excited with cautious optimism. This is what I want people to make movies about. I've got two comic book kids and I'm sooooo over Marvel / DC movies (some are decent), so we'll be there, just not when it opens. That's older son's birthday so I'll have to watch another comic book film...

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 5 Jun 2019 at 03:19.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 03:11 (Ref:3907987)   #19
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
But entertaining it was.
And in the end, that's what movies are supposed to do. Entertain. Hold my attention for 90 plus, move me a little and maybe make me laugh. Job done.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 04:40 (Ref:3907992)   #20
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do i have a bad feeling they are going to re write the 66 race result....
Old 5 Jun 2019, 08:48 (Ref:3908007)   #21
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
Quote:
Rush had quite a bit of artistic licence. Including pre 76 racing footage. A decent film, which conveyed some of the character of the real people. I still haven’t worked out how I feel about it. When the real life was such an amazing story does it have to have poetic licence. But entertaining it was.
I found this on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suPUexnTOcA

Which I'm seeing more inaccuracies now, I remember being very impressed that the Lauda crash recreation was basically 1 to 1.

Quote:
Although on the realism I remember a comment from a guy in MI5 on the radio talking the Enigma film. He confirm it got two things absolutely spot on. The main character was called Alan Turing and there was definitely a Second World War.
Enigma was completely fictional though, that comment would be said better for The Imitation Game which was like 80% made up versus what Niki said that Rush was "80% accurate."

Guess we'll see how it pans out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
And in the end, that's what movies are supposed to do. Entertain. Hold my attention for 90 plus, move me a little and maybe make me laugh. Job done.

A film is meant to entertain yes, but I'm less entertained when historical stuff seems to not do their due diligence but every historical or biopic film is different so case by case basis. If you look at the credits you'll see that every historical film has a department of historical consultants so complaining about accuracy in historical film is like complaining about bad make up or special effects or bad costume. If a department slacks I think it's valid to complain about it.

Regardless tho, I'm not going to say the movie sucks just because they crashed the wrong car. That'd be silly. But if they change the '66 result that would probably be a deal breaker for me.

Of course, I'm going to go in trying to enjoy the movie and not have a checklist. But I watch a lot of classic racing, so I'll see how much I notice and how much that'll break my immersion. Hopefully it's faithfully recreated, I always get a kick when I can see stuff fully recreated from historical events, it makes me feel like I'm actually experiencing something real all that much more that I can't really get with completely fictional stories.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 09:24 (Ref:3908012)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I enjoyed Rush very much, in fact, so much so that when I was accompanying my wife shopping for clothes at the weekend, they had a 'bargain' stand of DVDs and Rush was there for £4.99 and as I never bought a copy I couldn't resist it. I'll watch it again sometime soon.

I agree with FoD on this one. I want to be entertained. Yes, as motorsport enthusiasts we can pick holes over the cars used in Grand Prix or the 'love interest' in Le Mans and I'm sure there will be things that grate a little in Ford v Ferrari, however the initial evidence is that it could be pretty good. Good enough for me to want to go see it, anyway.....
Old 5 Jun 2019, 11:26 (Ref:3908024)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
And in the end, if historical incorrectness is found to not be enjoyable or ruins the overall entertainment to some, then so be it. It's art and is allowed to be debated upon.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 11:43 (Ref:3908027)   #24
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Who cares, if it is entertaining then people will watch it and if some of those then gain an interest in sportscar racing then that is good. Also i like to watch a good film with a good story.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 13:49 (Ref:3908053)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The thing about Rush is while they did get some things wrong, they got others so right. Obviously Lauda’s crash was very well edited to look like the original. Also they managed to include the bit about Mass being the only driver to start on slicks