Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Jun 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3908114)   #26
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Its the story of the Ford GT40
Because of the title I assumed it would also be about Ferrari.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3908137)   #27
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Because of the title I assumed it would also be about Ferrari.
yes but just like F1 at the moment they get badly beaten
Old 5 Jun 2019, 18:56 (Ref:3908143)   #28
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
When the real deals are true characters like Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles, it's gonna be hard to match that. Lee Iaocca and HF2 for that matter...Enzo, too but who cares about him?!

HOWEVER, I wasn't alive during this time and have always loved the actual story. How Hollywoodfied it ends up being is what will be the tipping point.

Rush was well done to me, with those little things like me saying "that's not Suzuka, that's Brands Hatch!" Same with Days of Thunder. That's Rockingham, not Daytona!! One is a movie based on true events and the other is loosely based on real people but the inner workings of true stories into film will always be a chore.

Brühl and Hemsworth were good in Rush and I find Damon and Bale enjoyable, so the acting won't be an issue. Odd Damon is Shelby, tho....

Anyway, I'm generally excited with cautious optimism. This is what I want people to make movies about. I've got two comic book kids and I'm sooooo over Marvel / DC movies (some are decent), so we'll be there, just not when it opens. That's older son's birthday so I'll have to watch another comic book film...
Marvel Cinematic movies are fantastic. Yes there are some downers even in there. Iron Man 3 and Captain Marvel were duds. Black Panther is very overrated. Must add that Star Wars The Last Jedi is also well documented as being a horrible horrible film. As a racing fan its a shame to say I have not seen "Rush" yet. I have had the misfortune of having seen "Driven", but at least the music in that movie is cool. Glad to see sportscars get some love. Would be awesome in the "Ford vs Ferrari" movie if there is an epilogue near the end that features the 2016 Le Mans battle between the 2 makes.
Old 5 Jun 2019, 20:47 (Ref:3908169)   #29
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Marvel Cinematic movies are fantastic. Yes there are some downers even in there. Iron Man 3 and Captain Marvel were duds. Black Panther is very overrated. Must add that Star Wars The Last Jedi is also well documented as being a horrible horrible film. As a racing fan its a shame to say I have not seen "Rush" yet. I have had the misfortune of having seen "Driven", but at least the music in that movie is cool. Glad to see sportscars get some love. Would be awesome in the "Ford vs Ferrari" movie if there is an epilogue near the end that features the 2016 Le Mans battle between the 2 makes.
Well, if you're not a comic book person, like me, they're a tough sell and there's complete oversaturation of them, ATM. I love films and really enjoyed 3 or 4 comic films but there's been 20 Marvel films alone the last 15 years with more coming. My wife hates baseball but loves Bull Durham. How many great baseball movies are there in all of history?

And the Black Panther was the last straw for me. I thought it was horrendous and everyone loved it. The plot was dull and like most of the other comic book films, it was all visuals and could have been wrapped up in 90 mins or less.

That's just my opinion and why I'm not a millionaire movie producer.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 01:11 (Ref:3908948)   #30
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I have followed this project for some time and I was a bit disappointed by the trailer. The trailer is probably deceiving on purpose (i.e. including more action even if the film might not have that much action), but I think it is still revealing the style of the movie. And I was hoping for a less flamboyant, more toned down and more serious style.

Altough the movie will probably leave British involvement out of the story (Lola Cars etc), I don't care about small historical inaccuracies, in the same way that I don't care if a World War II movie has wrong kind of museum tanks if the combat scenes are still believably re-created. Unfortunately in this case they might have the correct cars, but the racing scenes look more like Pixar movies and less like old racing film reels emphasized by that flying Ferrari? 100 feet in the air.

Based on the trailer the 1966 race itself is not going to be a huge part of the movie. Hopefully it doesn't simplify the racing part too much.

ps. That Le Mans recreation in the trailer looks a bit like Road Atlanta with CGI scenery. Not bad considering you can immediately tell which sections of the Le Mans they're supposed to resemble. Other circuits that can be recognized are Auto Club, Willow Springs and Fontana as Daytona.

Last edited by deggis; 10 Jun 2019 at 01:31.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 01:32 (Ref:3908949)   #31
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
Why do i have a bad feeling they are going to re write the 66 race result....
While the trailer gives the impression and there's exactly 1 driver featured in the film, besides Miles (Bale), Amon, McLaren and Hulme are all listed on the IMDB cast list. They're probably minor extra roles though. Only Bruce McLaren's actor looks like someone who might even have a line or two.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1950186/fullcredits

Trivia:

Ben Collins is listed Hulme. He has pro racing background, but is probably most well known for being The Stig in Top Gear for many years.

Ronnie Bucknum's son Jeff Bucknum is listed as a stunt driver in the credits.

Last edited by deggis; 10 Jun 2019 at 01:49.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 08:30 (Ref:3909001)   #32
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
So Ben Collins played the stig for many years, surely that should give him experience enough, some wooden actors get paid millions for worse performances
Old 10 Jun 2019, 16:41 (Ref:3909149)   #33
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
So Ben Collins played the stig for many years, surely that should give him experience enough, some wooden actors get paid millions for worse performances
It is probably also a small extra / stunt driver role.

Last edited by deggis; 10 Jun 2019 at 16:56.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 17:38 (Ref:3909160)   #34
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well i remember Gran Prix the movie and the roles in the film played by the drivers at the time, Graham Hill had a reasonable part in that.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3909166)   #35
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Gurney plays Dan Gurney
Old 10 Jun 2019, 18:27 (Ref:3909177)   #36
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
very appropriate i must say
Old 11 Jun 2019, 01:35 (Ref:3909260)   #37
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
***An exclusive 10-minute screening preview of the upcoming “Ford v Ferrari” film will premiere in two Le Mans theaters on Friday. The footage will be screed at 7:15 and 8 p.m. at Pathe Le Mans and CGR Saint Saturnin, with free entry coupons now available at both box offices.
https://sportscar365.com/features/le...ay-notebook-5/
Old 11 Jun 2019, 04:23 (Ref:3909278)   #38
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
so is that at the GBW in the school hall or somewhere else
Old 11 Jun 2019, 06:59 (Ref:3909294)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggo View Post
Alex Gurney plays Dan Gurney
Just like the late Sean Edwards played his dad in Rush
Old 11 Jun 2019, 07:00 (Ref:3909296)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
so is that at the GBW in the school hall or somewhere else
No, the CGR cinema.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 12:51 (Ref:3927158)   #41
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I saw it last night at its premiere for the Toronto International Film Festival and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Its crap. Leave it to Disney to make a villian of Enzo Ferrari.

Pretty cool seeing those CGI'd GT40's and all the Cobras though.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 20:59 (Ref:3927239)   #42
deggis
Veteran

Finland
https://rottentomatoes.com/m/ford_v_ferrari

Some critics' reviews.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 21:30 (Ref:3927242)   #43
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still think name of the movie is wrong, considering the film is mostly about the ford gt than ferrari/ford rivalry. Wonder if in the film will be ever specified that 1966 ford gt was a british car and not american....
Old 10 Sep 2019, 22:07 (Ref:3927249)   #44
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Still think name of the movie is wrong, considering the film is mostly about the ford gt than ferrari/ford rivalry. Wonder if in the film will be ever specified that 1966 ford gt was a british car and not american....
Nope. Raa raa USA! It's Disney.

I disagree with the critics. Shelby is made to look like a Dunce by Matt Damon. Iacocca is portrayed as spineless. Ferrari as the Devil. There is a made up Ford executive villian as well. There is a silly side story with Miles and his son. But like I said... Lots of pretty cars to watch.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 05:29 (Ref:3927271)   #45
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Quote:
then the real deal in the storied 24 Hours of Le Mans in Paris
Quote:
zooms in on the relationship between racer-turned-designer Caroll Shelby (Matt Damon) and single-minded driver Ken Miles (Christian Bale) as they try to build a Le Mans-ready Mustang
I'm going to let slide reviews repeating the historical inaccuracies that are more or less part of the plotline of the movie but WEW
Old 11 Sep 2019, 13:36 (Ref:3927388)   #46
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
I'm going to let slide reviews repeating the historical inaccuracies that are more or less part of the plotline of the movie but WEW
Yeah, some of the reviews seem like they may not have actually watched the movie. Saw it said Ford and racing so assumed things. It is definitely leaning more toward Ford/Disney mutual stroking than quality show in non-"professional" reviews sadly
Old 11 Sep 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3927463)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
It's a perfectly cromulent studio entertainment,

WTF?

What is wrong with the word 'adequate'? Not highbrow enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
I saw it last night at its premiere for the Toronto International Film Festival and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Its crap. Leave it to Disney to make a villian of Enzo Ferrari.

Pretty cool seeing those CGI'd GT40's and all the Cobras though.
Not wishing to sound rude mate, but that's a pretty dismissive review. Was it just crap because of Ferrari's villainisation?
Old 11 Sep 2019, 21:42 (Ref:3927486)   #48
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It's a perfectly cromulent studio entertainment,

WTF?

What is wrong with the word 'adequate'? Not highbrow enough?

Not wishing to sound rude mate, but that's a pretty dismissive review. Was it just crap because of Ferrari's villainisation?
It was a bit dismissive, sorry. I listed my problems with it in a later post. Go and see it for yourself and judge! Different strokes for different folks.
Old 14 Sep 2019, 11:58 (Ref:3927897)   #49
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I certainly will!
Old 17 Sep 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3928563)   #50
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3h9Z89U9ZA

20th Century FOX released trailer #2 for the upcoming movie. It already has nearly 5 million views after just two days. Despite the inevitable hollywood "USA vs. the bad guys" nonsense that will undoubtedly infest the film, the thing that is for certain is this will appeal and raise awareness to the masses who are otherwise ignorant to Le Mans and motorsport. Quite frankly I'd rather accept that avenue as opposed to a film that appeals directly to the niche motorsport culture only for it to flop at the outset because John Doe and Mary Sue couldn't relate to it ala Steve McQueen's Le Mans.