Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Oct 2019, 14:38 (Ref:3932927)   #1901
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Nothing new there Max, but thanks for the link. Carnets are used for other parts of the world, so the process is well established.

This is of course IF we leave without some sort of deal.......
No there may be nothing new to you Mike, but many like me have never been involved in this before. And the fee/deposit is quite annoying to the part-time racer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Oct 2019, 15:56 (Ref:3932942)   #1902
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
No there may be nothing new to you Mike, but many like me have never been involved in this before. And the fee/deposit is quite annoying to the part-time racer.
MGDavid went into all the carnet nitty-gritty a while back. Not sure if the deposit (bond?) is always asked for, maybe he can clarify at some point.

If your car has a V5 you should be be able to export / import using a CPD carnet, but this still costs! CARS are (sole?) agents for them now, and a deposit or insurance indemnity is required....

https://www.carseurope.net/carnet-de...ked-questions/
Old 9 Oct 2019, 17:53 (Ref:3932955)   #1903
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
MGDavid went into all the carnet nitty-gritty a while back. Not sure if the deposit (bond?) is always asked for, maybe he can clarify at some point.

If your car has a V5 you should be be able to export / import using a CPD carnet, but this still costs! CARS are (sole?) agents for them now, and a deposit or insurance indemnity is required....

https://www.carseurope.net/carnet-de...ked-questions/
Yes I was recalling memories of driving through western europe, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and Turkey back in the late 60's. We obtained our carnet through the RAC (along with a complete set of personalised route instructions!) The only country requiring an actual money payment for the bond back then was Spain. Elsewhere it was a case of 'my word is my bond'. Different times....
Old 9 Oct 2019, 18:42 (Ref:3932966)   #1904
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Different times indeed. Even at today's low interest rates, all those £££ on deposit by the government for a number of days would probably pay for Dominic Cummings for a couple of hours, so they can't afford to ignore the trick.

Old 10 Oct 2019, 04:42 (Ref:3933042)   #1905
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
This is interesting. Perhaps not accurate, and I'm sure polls can be made to prove black is white, but I sense some truth in the findings....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...cid=spartandhp
Old 10 Oct 2019, 04:56 (Ref:3933043)   #1906
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, perhaps we shall see since the EU is now saying no extension unless its for a GE or Referendum and Jezza says he's ready to permit it on Oct 21.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3933071)   #1907
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
This is interesting. Perhaps not accurate, and I'm sure polls can be made to prove black is white, but I sense some truth in the findings....

Mike, every other institution in the country had consistently backed remain, parliament, the courts, the media, including the BBC, all willing to distort or ignore the truth in order to convince the 'people' they made a mistake when they voted to leave. Why should this lot be any more believable?

My own sense is that Leave would win a second referendum, but as referendums are clearly a waste of time, why bother holding a second?
Old 10 Oct 2019, 11:06 (Ref:3933089)   #1908
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

If they asked further questions they might find that "the people" would prefer to be "governed" by just about anyone not currently closely associated with the machinations of Westminster.

Moreover if people are accepting the message from Extinction Rebellion it (life) will be all over in about 10 years so nothing matters anyway.

Even in the deepest days of the publicised threats surrounding the Nuclear Cold War I cannot recall anything like the sense of incredulity and pointlessness towards our politicians that so many seem to be trading on today.

The EU as a business area seems to be heading into a slump that is as great ad anywhere else in the world.

The so called powerhouse economies, notably Germany in Europe and not so many of the others, is very much tied in to a Carbon based economy that will take some shifting to satisfy the demands of those who would like to replace it and to whom the politicians are listening. Few seem to understand how it ALL works, some understand, maybe bits of.

They want the UK's economy, being still currently among the top ten it seems, to join in mainly because they seem some potential to suck something out of it before it disappears up its own orifice of its own making since it is being run by idiots at the political level and and greed, mostly, at the corporate level. Not all of that greed is home grown. Indeed one might argue that most of it is not home grown. (We import a lot in the name of 'recruiting the best' and 'return on shareholder funds'.)

The Empire of the West shows many signs of heading towards its inevitable end. It's old enough to fit into the pattern of degeneration.

Ultimately none of this nonsense may matter at all. Perhaps the only effect one can hope for is that things don't get too personally frustrating in one's own lifetime. The kids will have to deal with whatever they find as they live their lives - which is how it has always been, despite the creation of the Thunberg message, and in reality is how they expect it to be. Presumably, Europe Wide, such changes would also include significant changes to to the principles and policies of the EU. In which case no generation or poll today can think of themselves as siding with a known and consistent institution to guide them through the type of future they think they are supporting.

Quite clearly the EU controls nothing except its membership lists. That's not much of a club benefit to make it worth justifying the membership subscription during its declining years.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 11:13 (Ref:3933091)   #1909
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I said it’s interesting, not that I believed or agreed with it!

Maybe we’ll get the chance to vote again, as Peter says......
Old 10 Oct 2019, 11:18 (Ref:3933093)   #1910
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is extracted from a piece in the Telegraph by Liam Halligan:

Quote:
The UK’s EU exports have fallen from 60 per cent of goods sold abroad 20 years ago to around 40 per cent now, despite the much-vaunted single market and customs union it would apparently be so disastrous to leave under a “clean break” Brexit. And non-EU trade is now not only the majority of our overseas commerce, but is fast-growing, in surplus and conducted largely under World Trade Organisation rules – the same rules covering the majority of all trade everywhere, which we’re constantly told would be so bad.
If true then the trading levels provide an interesting discussion.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3933097)   #1911
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I said it’s interesting, not that I believed or agreed with it!

Maybe we’ll get the chance to vote again, as Peter says......

What would be most interesting would be to combine the question about Brexit or NoBrexit with a question about the abilities of current politicians and whether home grown or external management would offer the best options to guide the country in the next decade or two.

Remember that "Voting again" uncovered the "correct" vote in Eire - which may be why they are so keen to be seen to be doing the "right" guidance now rather than being reminded of their failure to escape and the battles they face having seemingly quite successfully (but only by breaking the "rules") attracted investment that has so far fended of utter economic collapse.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 12:25 (Ref:3933110)   #1912
midgetman
Veteran

I've always thought there would be a second referendum following the Irish model. I have no doubt the result will be to remain.

It's taken longer than I thought to gather such strength, and support for the idea has certainly come from a strange place with Jezza taking up the cause.

Conspiracy theorists may think that the EU has let us get deeper into the mire as punishment for wanting to leave. Now the end is in sight the same theorists may conclude that the EU is forcing the referendum pace.

Bauble we certainly do need a second referendum. And a third. And a General Election.

Happy days!

Old 10 Oct 2019, 13:56 (Ref:3933127)   #1913
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Bauble we certainly do need a second referendum. And a third. And a General Election.

Happy days!
Best of three

They will probably end up doing 'paper, rock scissors'
Nothing surprises me with politicians any more. Sad really.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 14:44 (Ref:3933137)   #1914
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Best of three

They will probably end up doing 'paper, rock scissors'
Nothing surprises me with politicians any more. Sad really.

I thought scissors had been banned along with knives and sharp objects in general.

How else did they manage to stop knife crime in the cities?
Old 11 Oct 2019, 04:02 (Ref:3933209)   #1915
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I thought scissors had been banned along with knives and sharp objects in general.

How else did they manage to stop knife crime in the cities?
Stopped or just unreported?
Old 11 Oct 2019, 05:12 (Ref:3933216)   #1916
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So, lots of optimism after BJ and (Irish PM) LV talks. But isn’t it the countries to the east and south if us that will be need to be won over?
Old 11 Oct 2019, 05:18 (Ref:3933218)   #1917
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not really. They will do what they're told. The EU has weaponised the Irish border. If you look at the border between Sweden and Norway, you'll see that a hard border is not necessary. Same with Switzerland and France, iItaly etc.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 14:49 (Ref:3933301)   #1918
midgetman
Veteran

Mmm but aren't they in some kind of customs union? Or so I think I read
Old 11 Oct 2019, 15:12 (Ref:3933306)   #1919
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Norway isn't. Sweden is part of the EFTA so comes under the EU rules but not Norway.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 17:10 (Ref:3933338)   #1920
midgetman
Veteran

Thank you. Strange, it was Internet information so I was sure it was true

Old 11 Oct 2019, 17:50 (Ref:3933343)   #1921
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Stopped or just unreported?

After today's happenings in London and Manchester, neither, sadly.......at least the Manchester stabbings don't seem to have involved fatalities.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3933348)   #1922
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Mmm but aren't they in some kind of customs union? Or so I think I read

Norway has a few benefits to negotiate with by comparison to the UK.

Although potential inbound trade volumes may not be so great due to a small population thier control of North Sea Oil and Gas (for now), some aspects of Fishing, considerable potential for Hydro generation of Electricity to help balance the North Sea installations and anything being built in Germany (via Denmark) are all reasons to be nice to the Norwegians. As would be their supply of thorium should those people developing generation capabilities that are based on thorium ever manage to complete their development work.

Plus they are sort of semi-joined at the hip with the Swedes - although the Swedes buy many fewer Teslas and have a less extensive Supercharger network.

The Norway Option could have been a solution at some points in the past few years but it seemed people were not interested perhaps because they did not really know how to look at it.

There again if the Norwegian social Model might end up being the result of the package it would mane the State has extreme control (with a leftist perspective) over how much people are both paid and taxed and just about all that they do. All of which seems to result in things being very expensive for some reason.

Right now I think Germany, and possibly France, might be concerned about losing their volume of engineering products sales into the UK. Especially high value items like cars and plant.

How long that position lasts is anyone's guess. Ultimately It may not even be a real concern
Old 14 Oct 2019, 15:36 (Ref:3934397)   #1923
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So, going back to the big issue of customs clearance in and out of the UK if it’s ‘leave without a deal’, I thought I’d be clever this trip and use the ‘Duplicate list’ procedure for temporary export.

The forms need a customs stamp, but guess what- there’s no manned customs office at Portsmouth docks......
Old 16 Oct 2019, 08:34 (Ref:3934878)   #1924
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I repost this from Martin Short who I often see as he has a home near us in Spain.

·

“To appreciate quite how draconian the behaviour of the Spanish state has been, conduct this little thought experiment. Imagine for a moment that it was Nicola Sturgeon of the SNP who had been forced to flee Scotland after running an impromptu poll. Try to contemplate a scenario under which Ian Blackford MP had been sentenced to time in Wormwood Scrubs”....I know..... it’s sounds great right? But seriously, no, it’s unimaginable in our country, but while the EU screams comment on our politics, describing a special place in hell for brexiteers, they say NOTHING on the locking up of these Catalonians........ independence is a dirty word in Brussels. Apologies for a political post but this situation, in Europe , is simply unbelievable.
The EU's spineless leaders, always vocal about Brexit, have gone strangely silent on Catalonia
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Oct 2019, 08:45 (Ref:3934881)   #1925
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I repost this from Martin Short who I often see as he has a home near us in Spain.

Who he?

However, let's wait until next year and see if the SNP try to get the House of Commons agree to let Scotland have yet another referendum (after the once in a lifetime one) on independence. And when permission is denied, whether they try to run one anyway.