Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Is it a good thing Ferrari are using the old car?
Good thing 13 65.00%
Bad thing 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Feb 2002, 17:32 (Ref:216567)   #1
FullMonty
Rookie

FullMonty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Year old Ferrari for Ferrari in first GP

Ferrari will be using the F2001 in melbourne instead of the new F2002, looks like we will have to wait another 2/3 weeks after the first race to see this years real Formula 1 battle.
Old 15 Feb 2002, 18:23 (Ref:216585)   #2
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good thing for me, hopefully - maybe, just maybe, the other cars will be able to keep up with it for a few laps.
Old 15 Feb 2002, 18:36 (Ref:216597)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last I heard, they were 99% sure of using the new car. I believe they will use the new car.
Old 15 Feb 2002, 20:26 (Ref:216700)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems they are using the old car. No 5th title for MS.
Old 15 Feb 2002, 20:46 (Ref:216716)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
Seems they are using the old car. No 5th title for MS.
:confused: :confused: Because they are starting with the F2001, that will cost them the championship? We'll see...
Old 15 Feb 2002, 21:05 (Ref:216738)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i remember ron dennis saying, just after his cars went out at OZ in '99, that he was glad that he took the new cars to the 1st race because he knew where he was in relation to the other teams.
Old 15 Feb 2002, 21:27 (Ref:216760)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
i remember ron dennis saying, just after his cars went out at OZ in '99, that he was glad that he took the new cars to the 1st race because he knew where he was in relation to the other teams.
Yes, and so will Ross and the boys when they see that they can still beat the competition when using a year-old car
Old 15 Feb 2002, 21:45 (Ref:216788)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya

Yes, and so will Ross and the boys when they see that they can still beat the competition when using a year-old car
i honestly can't see that happening!
Old 15 Feb 2002, 21:50 (Ref:216794)   #9
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well they will obviously modify them and we saw how far ahead TGF was at Suzuka so the old car should still be very competitive. The y may not have a huge advantage but they should still have an advantage.

As for whether its a good thing, we'll wait and see.
Old 15 Feb 2002, 21:56 (Ref:216805)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
we saw how far ahead TGF was at Suzuka

the times stayed fairly static between tgf and jpm after the first few laps of each stint, and there was talk of a funny "smell" coming from tgf's tyres!
Old 16 Feb 2002, 00:32 (Ref:216890)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote Mrv:"and there was talk of a funny "smell" coming from tgf's tyres!"

Well...isn't there always talk when Michael trashes the opposition?

Ferrari announced they would be bringing 3 F2001-modified cars to Melbourn, chassis #214, #215, #216. These 3 chassis were specially made to stand in if F2002 could not make it to the grid. Although it looks like the F2001, New materials as used in F2002 would be employed in the car's construction, with improved aerodynamics. Engine used would be the 050 (...i want the 051!!!) but with new piston and other parts using new materials.

Personally, i would prefer to see the F2002 make its debut in Melbourne...I hope they are not over confident of the F2001's abilities, because the Williams and Mclaren looks fast
Old 16 Feb 2002, 01:45 (Ref:216918)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:

i honestly can't see that happening!
Well, I can, and it is. I had stated in another thread that there was some doubt that the 2002 is legal, maybe something to do withthe software for the two clutch system. Also, it appears that testing for the 2002 is not yet completed as it was running around without barge boards. However, the 2001 that Ferrari runs at Melbourne may actually have a new engine, which will probably make it competitive. We will just have to wait another two weeks when quals are run.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 04:26 (Ref:216955)   #13
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel it is a good thing because the newer car seems to be even quicker. Hope it will give the other teams some kind of a chance. Now if they domenate it will be sad.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 05:00 (Ref:216965)   #14
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So VB, is this supposedly illegal software the source of Ron Dennis' recent statements regarding illegality, (without mentioning names, of course! ).

It's too bad if they don't run the new car, but I'm sure the modified F2001 can do the job, however things could be a little more competitive than they'd otherwise be. It's just too early to tell yet. But we haven't long to wait to find out. This is going to be most interesting.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 09:11 (Ref:216993)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Well...isn't there always talk when Michael trashes the opposition?
i'm not trying to say that, tgf or ferrari were in someway cheating, just quoting what i'd heard on tv/read in a magazine!

i'm sure that ron dennis would have been appealing given half a chance, anything to get 1 over ferrari, what i was TRYING to say, was after this "apparent" smell had gone, jpm and tgf were running very close lap times, and if ferrari use last years car, which WON'T BE AS FAST as this years car, then they (ferrari) may not nessessarily walk all over the compitition with it (f2001)

lighten up guys....sometimes i think, that you guys feel the need to stand up for ferrari, more then we ever feel the need to accuse them of something!
Old 16 Feb 2002, 16:15 (Ref:217197)   #16
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:

and if ferrari use last years car, which WON'T BE AS FAST as this years car, then they (ferrari) may not nessessarily walk all over the compitition with it (f2001)

But it is a proven reliable car... Can you say that about any of the new cars from the rest of the teams?
Old 16 Feb 2002, 16:21 (Ref:217200)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya

But it is a proven reliable car... Can you say that about any of the new cars from the rest of the teams?
no, i can't say that about the other cars, and neither am i saying that ferrari won't win either. what i am saying is, if the williams and mclarens of this year ARE faster than the ferrari of last year and do stay RELIABLE for the race, a big if i know, but not all the new cars will break down, then maybe ferrari can't expect to win the race like, maybe they hoped, last season.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 17:26 (Ref:217237)   #18
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

the times stayed fairly static between tgf and jpm after the first few laps of each stint, and there was talk of a funny "smell" coming from tgf's tyres!
There's also talk of a funny smell coming from TGF's trousers every time Monty get's close

Seriously though - it's a bad idea to run an old car - if you're having problems with the new car, then the best thing is to give it race mileage, and use your clout to get the best possible solution and quickly...

If they wait until San Marino to use the new car, there could be all sorts of unforeseen problems that other teams will have had a few weeks to sort.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 18:26 (Ref:217256)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Total-F1

There's also talk of a funny smell coming from TGF's trousers every time Monty get's close

Seriously though - it's a bad idea to run an old car - if you're having problems with the new car, then the best thing is to give it race mileage, and use your clout to get the best possible solution and quickly...

If they wait until San Marino to use the new car, there could be all sorts of unforeseen problems that other teams will have had a few weeks to sort.
finally......someone who seems to see things from my point of view! but personally, i woyld rather see them (ferrari) taking their new car and gain satisfaction from seeing it detonate itself every race...just as i had to endure with monty at the beginning of last year!
Old 16 Feb 2002, 20:28 (Ref:217330)   #20
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Total-F1

Well, I suppose that they wouldn't run the old car; I would expect those cars to be more like the 2001 cars they have been testing during the last weeks.

Besides that, I would think that they would continue developing the 2002 cars, probably with two drivers testing the 2001 car and two drivers testing the 2002 car.
I can't see how that would give the other teams an advantage.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 21:52 (Ref:217348)   #21
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That year old Ferrari is not really the "old" Ferrari.
I think their 2002 at their rate of advancement could be ready to be the 2003. That"old' one is full of new goodies.

The Red cars will be in the front pack and JPM will be looking at them in his rear view mirror.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 23:50 (Ref:217417)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good Thing: Probabably the Macs and BMWs won't finish...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 16 Feb 2002, 23:55 (Ref:217423)   #23
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Good Thing: Probabably the Macs and BMWs won't finish...
...unless they do.

In which case they will be behind a couple of Red FERRARIS!!!!
Old 17 Feb 2002, 00:18 (Ref:217447)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho

...unless they do.

In which case they will be behind a couple of Red FERRARIS!!!!

don't think so.............but at the most it will be only 1 ferrari!!!!!!!!! (rubens?????)
Old 17 Feb 2002, 00:22 (Ref:217452)   #25
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
OK other than TGF who got more podiums than Rubens last year? This guy doesn't get the credit he deserves. And I believe he still has more to offer.