Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Oct 2002, 12:56 (Ref:403788)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Ferrari boss theatens Ferrari may quit

Montezemolo, as reported in Gazzetta dello Sport, when asked about Max and Bernie's silly 9 point plan: "If this happens, Ferrari may look for stimuli in other racing series... but in the end, I believe common sense will prevail."

I see a war of wills coming when they sit down to discuss the 9 point plan.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 13:02 (Ref:403795)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh well, i won't miss Ferrari... even if they are the most prestigious, glamorous and blabla team in F1...
Old 14 Oct 2002, 13:08 (Ref:403801)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No !

It only shows that "common sense" will prevail !
Old 14 Oct 2002, 13:15 (Ref:403809)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bon's got it right. But if "common sense prevails" at Ferrari, perhaps they'll realise that their actions are what has led to this idiocy, and will agree to stop behaving like the big bully at the school picnic who hogs all the cake because he can....
Old 14 Oct 2002, 13:37 (Ref:403837)   #5
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their actions, like in winning 15 races out of 17 and 9 of them being 1-2? And they didn't actually lapped the 3rd placed car only because they didn't really wanted? Yes Liz, "they can", actually that's the idea.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 13:48 (Ref:403849)   #6
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red: I think you're mixed up on Liz's point. Most of us wouldn't have a problem with Ferrari being so dominant if Ferrari let their drivers race each other. This point has already been debated to the point where every new thread started eventually turns out to be the same thing: A thread against Ferrari.

They can still win the championship without any problems, but if they let the drivers race against each other, they might get more supporters. Remember Senna and Prost at McLaren. They won 15 out of 16 (I think) races in the season (1988) and there wasn't much controvery because they were allowed to race.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 13:54 (Ref:403856)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Well, I suspected that too, however I believe that if Rubens and Michael really raced each other (quite useless if you ask me but that's another story)both of them really would have lapped the 3rd placed car, the 4th car being lapped at least twice per race. How would that improve the competition?

Utterly off topic: Senna and Prost won 15 races. But the animosity/rivalry changed to hate. I believe that they hated each other to the point where they risked both lifes on track, more than once. BEsides, they were 2 strong characters and certainly of equal value.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 14:07 (Ref:403862)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, They were still on speaking terms in the beginning of the '89 season, the hate you're talking about wasn't untill the midseason, i think after Imola (or a couple of races later, i'll have 2 see the review again)
I read on another thread for the first time that Senna was actually scared of Prost...

What was this topic about again? :confused:
Old 14 Oct 2002, 14:47 (Ref:403891)   #9
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good riddance, bring back proper Ferrari !!
Old 14 Oct 2002, 14:54 (Ref:403895)   #10
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari leaving ???

Hehehehe, and pigs can fly !!!
Old 14 Oct 2002, 14:55 (Ref:403899)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

Pigs can fly in Panama???

I've got to see this!
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:02 (Ref:403902)   #12
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Sorry "ASCII man", but, you can see Ferrari leaving F1, first..., and then I'll show you those jumbo-wing pigs !
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:04 (Ref:403906)   #13
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
You'll be welcome any time, anyway...
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:08 (Ref:403909)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

LOL
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:13 (Ref:403914)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl
Red: I think you're mixed up on Liz's point. Most of us wouldn't have a problem with Ferrari being so dominant if Ferrari let their drivers race each other.
Red ...sooner or later your gonna have to except that alot of us feel like this.

Its not about Ferrari being so dominant at all. Its the other stuff they do .

Last edited by Sato san; 14 Oct 2002 at 15:14.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:21 (Ref:403927)   #16
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
C'mon Sato san! My comments were dirrectly pointed to Liz' quote:
Quote:
their actions are what has led to this idiocy...etc etc... who hogs all the cake because he can
And my point stands. The idiocy (that is various plans to change the Formula and increase entertainment ) was not caused by Austria or Indy, but because Ferrari CAN take all the cakes. I repeat! What actions? Winning 15 races out of 17, 9 of them being 1-2?

Last edited by Red; 14 Oct 2002 at 15:22.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:23 (Ref:403928)   #17
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes......they hog all the cakes because they can......i know what liz is on about !

Ferrari are entitled to all their victorys....but because they can , they play about with it !

that is the part that is getting on peoples nerves.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:30 (Ref:403941)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The point is that when Nige & company were dominating and the Prost/Senna tandem were dominating there was a great deal of concerning about any team having it all over the others. I will be the first to say Ferrari has not handled things well, but comments in other threads like "Ferrari holding a contractual gun to the 2nd driver's head" is the kind of thing that makes this a "personal" discussion rather than one about the sport. No one forced Rubens to sign as number 2. Whatever your opinion of Schumi Sr may be, RB, while certainly better than adequate is not in his league. Team orders have been handled subtly or badly over the years. Correct me (I am unsure of the dates) but was not Fangio given his team mate's car at one point to ensure his success? That does not make Fangio any less the Maestro he is remembered as. It simply means the team knew who the #1 was.

Ferrari are not the problem. They are a symptom. FIA need to review the rules and return competitive balance. Not with lead weights or car/wife/girlfriend/tirechanger/caterer swapping but with rules that will prevent the need for spending mega-millions to find an extra tenth of a second.

Patrick Head himself called it like it is: Williams and Mc have to raise their game, penalizing Ferrari is not the answer.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:35 (Ref:403943)   #19
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
that is the part that is getting on peoples nerves.
Yeah, I admit. That was not exactly nice. They humiliated the rest of them, on purpose, on 2 occasions: Italy (home ground so actually that was more a show for the fans rather than a cynical mind-game) and USA. They should press the gas and lapp everyone, as I said.... Or, politely allow the others to win a race or two....

Last edited by Red; 14 Oct 2002 at 15:36.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:41 (Ref:403948)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

I certainly liked Ferrari more when they were losing!
(especially the '89/90 season)

And if they won then it was even better, the underdog winning some races is always far better then screwing the sport with this years farçe(s)!
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:45 (Ref:403953)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
So (r) I believe that you anxiously wait the next season. All condition are in place: Ferrari make sure that you do have plenty of underdogs, and certainly some of them do have the power and resources to win races.

Last edited by Red; 14 Oct 2002 at 15:45.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:48 (Ref:403956)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

I don't think so, i don't even like the majority of the current drivers so i'm not "anxiously" waiting for next year and see my favourite driver see his ass kicked again in that scythe car!
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:55 (Ref:403963)   #23
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If my memory serves me correctly, didn't Enzo Ferrari make a habit of threatening to quit each time something didn't go quite his way? The same thing used to happen in the 1990s too didn't it with Ferrari?

These days it's left to Paul Stoddart and Luca di Monti-Z (can't spell his name - sorry) to carry on the tradition.

I can see Ferrari's point-of-view though - why should they stay around and be penalised for being better than everybody else? Mind you, they'd solve a lot more problems if they trusted their drivers and let them race each other.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:57 (Ref:403966)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

Montezemolo
Old 14 Oct 2002, 16:08 (Ref:403976)   #25
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
To my knowledge Enzo only did that once.... and actually he didn't even threatened! He just built a CART and invited everyone at Fiorano to see it's first test. Couple of weeks later they were signing the first Concorde Agreement...