Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 7 Jul 2016, 20:35 (Ref:3657547)   #76
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'm most eager about Gateway. I have no idea about the new facilities.
Old 25 Aug 2016, 19:40 (Ref:3667556)   #77
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here it is, the 2017 schedule.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2016/08/...-schedule-2017
Old 25 Aug 2016, 20:10 (Ref:3667558)   #78
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No big surprises it seems.

Hope Barber doesn't conflict with The Mitty and Southern Nationals, again. I am sure it will.

Wouldn't it make sense to have the teams visit the Southeast back to back? Not that Florida is the SE; it's FLA. SE to west coast back to SE back to SW seems like a lot of back n forth, but does that matter travel wise if they go back to shops before LB then back home again??

Wish Milwaukee was back, but that's wishful thinking. Overall, I am satisfied.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 14:19 (Ref:3667690)   #79
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Phoenix hosts the NCAA Men's Basket Final Four on April 1-3. IndyCar had to avoid it.

Quote:
Wish Milwaukee was back, but that's wishful thinking. Overall, I am satisfied.
And Richmond, Kentucky and New Hampshire.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 14:48 (Ref:3667698)   #80
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Phoenix hosts the NCAA Men's Basket Final Four on April 1-3. IndyCar had to avoid it.
Ah. Well, March Madness takes precedence everywhere.

And speaking of March, the weather in mid to late March can be highly variable in the Southeast, while the end of April is picturesque, so I get the Barber schedule. It's just very frustrating as a general "race fan" that we have the 2nd biggest event (well, car race) at Road Atlanta and the biggest event at Barber on the same weekend every year. Looking at the calendar, it may work out in 2017 but Barber will forever be dictated by LB and Indy.

Quote:
And Richmond, Kentucky and New Hampshire.
I could leave Kentucky out of anything and be satisfied. I'd certainly like to see Richmond and NH added, however.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 18:10 (Ref:3667724)   #81
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would like to see a couple of more races but a 17 race series is good. IndyCar could stretch it to 19, like CART did in the late '90s but I don't think it needs anymore.

F1 has 21 races but has it improved the package? I don't think so. Admittedly, it doesn't help that F1 has been dominated by one team and one driver for three years but the racing itself isn't particularly good.

If IndyCar could stretch it to 19 races then I would like to see another race in Canada and one in Australia.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 18:28 (Ref:3667726)   #82
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's good to see them publish a schedule which focuses on date equity and adding further venues.

17 races on 16 different track layouts at 15 different venues shows this series is on the right track.

My guess is it is likely that further events will be added in the coming years.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 01:20 (Ref:3667767)   #83
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
It's good to see them publish a schedule which focuses on date equity and adding further venues.
100% agreed. Something that was the priority for the series.

I was hoping that Fontana could find itself back on the schedule.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 12:18 (Ref:3668381)   #84
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
It's just very frustrating as a general "race fan" that we have the 2nd biggest event (well, car race) at Road Atlanta and the biggest event at Barber on the same weekend every year.
Here in (ok, "around") Toronto, we've had IMSA at Mosport and the IndyCar race a week apart for the past few years, which is also a bit frustrating. I have to think that there are fans who might go to both if they were separated by a month or more (I would).

Until recently, those were the two biggest motorsport events in this neck of the woods... now the NASCAR Camping World trucks on Labour Day weekend at Mosport is I'm sure the biggest draw. At least that and the Indy are nice and far apart. It would be interesting to know how much crossover there is between attendees.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3668397)   #85
jakew7498
Rookie

jakew7498 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to have seen a larger schedule but the gradual increase to the schedule is also fine maybe going back to Brazil if possible despite the issues about Goiana.

Got into IndyCar in 2012 so don't know a lot about Gateway but new circuits are always good.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 18:25 (Ref:3668447)   #86
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Here in (ok, "around") Toronto, we've had IMSA at Mosport and the IndyCar race a week apart for the past few years, which is also a bit frustrating.
Next year, Formula E visits Montreal in the same weekend.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 19:27 (Ref:3668465)   #87
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Here in (ok, "around") Toronto, we've had IMSA at Mosport and the IndyCar race a week apart for the past few years, which is also a bit frustrating. I have to think that there are fans who might go to both if they were separated by a month or more (I would).

Until recently, those were the two biggest motorsport events in this neck of the woods... now the NASCAR Camping World trucks on Labour Day weekend at Mosport is I'm sure the biggest draw. At least that and the Indy are nice and far apart. It would be interesting to know how much crossover there is between attendees.
Back to back weekends makes it rough. Same weekend is impossible.

Certainly, the weather windows are similar in size, even though in the south, it's split. Ending in September kinda makes it difficult for anything but Spring here and there's plenty up North to contend with during the bearable months.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 12:08 (Ref:3668608)   #88
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Next year, Formula E visits Montreal in the same weekend.
Argh. I'd forgotten about that. It will probably do well independent of IndyCar and/or IMSA, and probably won't rob fans from either. I do kind of like Formula E so I hope it's successful, but again, a different weekend would be nice.

ALMS at Mosport/CTMP "traditionally" was on Labour Day weekend but shifted to July some years ago, and IMSA has kept it there. With the NASCAR truck series taking over Labour Day weekend in recent years, I'd say we're pretty much stuck with that schedule the way it is. And has been abundantly discussed before, July for the Toronto Indy is pretty much a lock (unless we get the Olympics here sometime in the future - argh).
Old 1 Sep 2016, 10:53 (Ref:3668898)   #89
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don't think that the current calendar ATM needs to get many more races added
Old 1 Sep 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3668933)   #90
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
What is the status of the "planned" New Jersey harbor side street track (initially targeting F1)???
Old 1 Sep 2016, 14:06 (Ref:3668939)   #91
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
What is the status of the "planned" New Jersey harbor side street track (initially targeting F1)???
Nothing, unless you believe this, http://www.f1mix.com/circuits/port-i...et-circuit.asp. There's been confirmation from the FIA or FOM. However, Bahrain, Germany and Monza Italy, have yet to be confirmed for 2017.

Personally, I don't think IndyCar needs another one of these street races, like Baltimore, Boston, Houston, etc. The demise of Boston before it even got going, has opened the door for the return of Watkins Glen, which is what the series needs but if there were to be anymore street races, I'd like to see a return to Surfers and Vancouver. IndyCar needs another race in Canada and if it wants to expand internationally, go back to Australia.
Old 8 Sep 2016, 12:19 (Ref:3670969)   #92
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
IndyCar has had enough failed new street races, I agree. But having a renown classic like Montreal could be a good idea.
Old 8 Sep 2016, 13:29 (Ref:3670998)   #93
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the update, I share the sentiment that new street venues are not what the series need right now.

How about replacing the double points at the Sonoma finale with a double header?
Old 8 Sep 2016, 14:21 (Ref:3671005)   #94
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
IndyCar has had enough failed new street races, I agree. But having a renown classic like Montreal could be a good idea.
If Bernie sells F1 and it looks like it might happen, that could pave the way for a race at Montreal. However, I go back to what Roger Penske said earlier this season about expanding IndyCar in the North West.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 15:42 (Ref:3673714)   #95
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
We will have again six ovals in 2017: Indianapolis, Phoenix, Texas, Iowa, Pocono and Gateway. The last time we had more was 2011, when eight were scheduled, although Motegi was damaged by the earthquake and Las Vegas ended in chaos. Milwaukee and Fontana were last held in 2015 for poor crowds.

I'm very surprised that there is just four street races: St Pete, Long Beach, Detroit and Toronto. They are very established and well attended, so it's strange that new events failed: Houston (2014), Baltimore (2013), Sao Paulo (2013) and Edmonton (2012), whereas Boston was cancelled.

There's also six road courses: Barber, Indianapolis, Road America, Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen and Sonoma. There were just three as recently as 2013. Only New Orleans failed in recent years, which is interesting, although Indianapolis had minimal crowds.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 17:30 (Ref:3674142)   #96
Yannick
Veteran

Well, it's good for IndyCar that it has got a consistent schedule now. That's how it should be. Adding more events is a good thing, too. It's an even better schedule than this year.

Milwaukee is about the only true classic that is still missing. Here's hoping the Mile will be back sooner or later. Given the TV ratings of the Milwaukee area during the Indy 500 coverage, there are certainly some fans there. But they deserve an early afternoon start, unlike what they had in recent years.

Regarding the street circuit events you mentioned, Edmonton didn't continue when the airport was renovated, Sao Paulo didn't continue when the title sponsorship deal ended, and Houston suffered from bad scheduling and a rush-job of building the course in its final year.
I feel Baltimore was an instant classic but the paddock seemingly didn't like the special challenge of the chicane on Pratt St. and the city didn't like the cost of setting up the racetrack and its part in paying the sanctioning fee.

As fantasies of an international winter series and the fear of ending the season when NFL football has already started still roam the upper ranks of IndyCar, this is schedule is actually pretty good.

The failure of the New Orleans Motorsports Park race was due to mismanagement on behalf of the track and due to seriously bad weather which came from bad scheduling. I've seen this race live on a stream somewhere and it was just caution to caution until the chequered flag fell. That's why I don't miss it. Still, it would be interesting to see a decent race on this track one day. Maybe somebody has recorded something in iRacing at NOLA?

Fontana would be back if it could get an October date. Milwaukee would be back if a promoter could be found and a 12:00 to 13:00 starting time were guaranteed, ideally on its traditional date.

I have no idea how long it will take until the next time an international race will be added to the IndyCar schedule, but I feel the most likely event for this will be a 2nd round in Canada, once Montreal's F1 contract runs out.

I feel it is quite remarkable that now, IndyCar has got 3 former F1 events on its schedule: Long Beach, Watkins Glen and the GP of Indy.

However, given the hard hits that occured during crashes at the Watkins Glen round, I feel this circuit needs another safety upgrade: more runoff please. But we've discussed that topic already here on this board.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 09:59 (Ref:3674678)   #97
Yannick
Veteran

Well, this weekend, the 4th weekend in September, would be a much better date to close the season than what IndyCar has got now.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a race on later tonight, at a place like Kentucky Speedway?
It's not too far from Indianapolis for the Series' hometown crowd to get there. The track has been providing good racing when it was last on the schedule, and it could have used a boost in attendance which it surely would get if it was the championship decider.

That's just my suggestion for a season finale if it has to be September. What is yours?
Old 24 Sep 2016, 12:13 (Ref:3674693)   #98
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Well, this weekend, the 4th weekend in September, would be a much better date to close the season than what IndyCar has got now.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a race on later tonight, at a place like Kentucky Speedway?
It's not too far from Indianapolis for the Series' hometown crowd to get there. The track has been providing good racing when it was last on the schedule, and it could have used a boost in attendance which it surely would get if it was the championship decider.

That's just my suggestion for a season finale if it has to be September. What is yours?
Agreed on a race tonight. Kentucky would be a decent choice and I get your reasons as well.

If they insist on going to Texas, that would work too. An afternoon Sunday race at Milwaukee or Pocono would be fun too.

I think anywhere, but Sonoma is my choice atm.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 13:12 (Ref:3674708)   #99
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Texas would be the best, but there's the college football issue. Kentucky would be nice too.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 17:53 (Ref:3674773)   #100
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Texas would be the best, but there's the college football issue. Kentucky would be nice too.
They play a lot of football in Kentucky and lots of places in September.