Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 May 2008, 07:22 (Ref:2191604)   #126
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Thanks Pete, but my question is still the same. Surely the carbs were at the back of the 1800 landcrab engine too?
Old 1 May 2008, 21:16 (Ref:2192156)   #127
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutly correct Viva,would have been nice for them to be at the front!
Old 2 May 2008, 06:26 (Ref:2192314)   #128
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Scatley
As mentioned in another thread John Brittan Etc, how about Allen Woode his self prepared car was a match for the rest and at one time he held a number of circuit class records.
Here he is on the front row at Snett in the late sixties
One E is W0011 on pole(Quick) the other a Delltune Car either Tony Shaw or John Burbridge, who sadly is no longer with us.
Old 3 May 2008, 16:13 (Ref:2193271)   #129
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG928s
Davey, are you Stuart's son? I raced against John often in E types and knew Stuart well, he was a lovely man and unknown to John Quick (who would have been furious) helpful to me.
Best regards, John Wilson
JQ leads John Wilson at Bottom Bend Brands 27th April 1969
Old 5 May 2008, 10:32 (Ref:2194305)   #130
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mallory Saloon Pioneers.

Just found this from Mallory on Boxing Day 1966. Unsure who the mini was driven by, but yours truly in the Anglia.
Attached Thumbnails
27th December 1966! Mallory Plum Pudding Races..jpg  
Old 10 May 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2198412)   #131
ezwalk43
Rookie

ezwalk43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerry,
Think I need to get out more! - the #41 Mini was entered by Barnet Motor co and as thats not Gerry M driving it, I guess it was Ken Ayres - you qualified the Anglia 16th on the grid but I didn't record where you finished. And wasn't it wet that day....
regards,
Eric Walker
Old 16 May 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2203909)   #132
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, definitely not Dad driving the Mini and it doesn't look like Martin Lilley either. Dad was at Mallory on Boxing Day and raced Tommy Entwhistle's Mk3 TVR Grantura - maybe it's Tommy in the Mini?
Old 21 May 2008, 18:46 (Ref:2208530)   #133
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezwalk43
Gerry,
Think I need to get out more! - the #41 Mini was entered by Barnet Motor co and as thats not Gerry M driving it, I guess it was Ken Ayres - you qualified the Anglia 16th on the grid but I didn't record where you finished. And wasn't it wet that day....
regards,
Eric Walker
Blimey! 16th on the grid eh! Not bad (he said red faced....) well I was rather fresh to all this at the time. I think it was Ken driving it come to think of it. All those years ago, Thanks for the info lads.
Gerry.
How about this old picture then. Its the short circuit at Mallory and again another of my Anglia's.......any info you old uns? Its definately 1966 as I put on the back of the photograph. But who are those mini guys behind me?
Attached Thumbnails
Mallory Park Short Circuit 10th July 1966.jpg  
Old 3 Jun 2008, 21:40 (Ref:2219148)   #134
ezwalk43
Rookie

ezwalk43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You got me on that one Gerry - only went to long circuit meetings in '66.
If I've mastered loading photos on here this one is Gerry M getting the TVR off the front row in the lead of the mallory boxing day special GT race

[IMG]img020[/IMG]
Old 4 Jun 2008, 08:14 (Ref:2219417)   #135
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezwalk43
You got me on that one Gerry - only went to long circuit meetings in '66.
If I've mastered loading photos on here this one is Gerry M getting the TVR off the front row in the lead of the mallory boxing day special GT race

[IMG]img020[/IMG]
It's not come up but would love to see it.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2234221)   #136
cut7jag
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rotherham
cut7jag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

1628 VC Jag MKII will be either Roy Salvadori or John Sparrow

Gary
Old 20 Jul 2008, 10:57 (Ref:2254391)   #137
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Never did get to see my old mate Gerry M in the TVR matey, what happened?
Here's a picture of Peter Baldwin heading me at Woodcote all those years ago. This would be 1972 or 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Chasing Peter Baldwin Round Woodcote Silverstone 1972.jpg  
Old 20 Jul 2008, 11:04 (Ref:2254393)   #138
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

and.....Me leading Peter Baldwin!

Here's the same picture but I'm in front this time. Ah those were the good old days.
Attached Thumbnails
Triplex Championship 1971 001.jpg  
Old 20 Jul 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2254394)   #139
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Old Triplex Championship Info' 1971!

For those of you that love nostalgia and checking out the names of us old un's here's an interesting piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Triplex Championship 1971.jpg  
Old 21 Jul 2008, 07:37 (Ref:2255072)   #140
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
excellent stuff, It still amazes me that small capacity classes where so popular and are now non existent, one can only hope the price of fuel continues to go up if thats what it takes to bring them back!
Old 22 Jul 2008, 23:54 (Ref:2256270)   #141
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Zefarelly, yeah they were great days, although to us it was just motor racing. Now, I look back and can see how good to watch it must have been. All those hybrids out there just going as fast as they could make em go!
Old 1 Aug 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2261517)   #142
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Swish Anglia Down-Draught MAE.

Here's a nice photograph from my archive of the MAE D/Draught unit we used in the early seventies. My mechanic Dave Neale is on the left and the guy on the right helped us at the circuits, and that is NOT a ciggy in his mouth it's the spoke on the steering wheel. I'm the young bloke in the middle (where on earth did he go?). Just thought you guys would like to see the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Talking of Down-Draughts! Gerry'sMAE..jpg  
Old 11 Sep 2008, 16:05 (Ref:2287288)   #143
Paul Bagnall
Rookie

Paul Bagnall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the guy on the right is Phil Bagnall the father of me Paul Bagnall who has just joined ten-tenths and i used to go with Gerry Taylor and was a "mechanics helper"
Old 11 Sep 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2287382)   #144
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back in those days the Anglia was THE car to have.Romford Motor Co,Terry Croker,the chap with the hairdressers in Hornchurch,Mick -----,he stopped racing after a massive shunt at Clearways,hit a concrete post!They were indeed good days,somewhat frantic sometimes but even so.
Then of course there were the Minis,Geoff Goodliff in the Vita Mini,coming into the proper Russell whilst having a go at Croker,went a little wide and clipped the bank just before the pit lane entry,launched into a cork-screw in mid air over the top of the Anglia without touching it and landing on its roof,when I asked Geoff if he was OK he just said he had "a bit of a headache"!.
I think Norman Grimshaws father had already started thinking about getting a new Mini built for him!!
Old 12 Sep 2008, 07:57 (Ref:2287820)   #145
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Back in those days the Anglia was THE car to have.
Whats all this "was"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Sep 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2287921)   #146
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
NOW its a Cobra 8Ltr,5 Speed Dog Box all singing all dancing ------------------
Old 12 Sep 2008, 14:57 (Ref:2288126)   #147
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

More Nostalgia

Hi guys! here's a press cutting from Snetterton, when we had the old Russell bend, it shows Richard Long and yours truly at full chat. If you care to zoom in on the written stuff, there a few names from the past you might remember. That is if your of a certain age.
Attached Thumbnails
Motoring News Snetterton report.jpg  
Old 12 Sep 2008, 16:01 (Ref:2288195)   #148
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that from 1973, Gerry?
Old 12 Sep 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2288230)   #149
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor
Hi guys! here's a press cutting from Snetterton, when we had the old Russell bend, it shows Richard Long and yours truly at full chat. If you care to zoom in on the written stuff, there a few names from the past you might remember. That is if your of a certain age.

I'm not of a certain age[quite!] There seems to be a fair difference between the racers of those days Gerry,you always seemed to be trying harder than they do in todays races.Good to see some of the names in there.
I'm still using one of Richards heads on my car,I had him do it about ten years ago and it is still as good as the current thinking on head design!
Old 12 Sep 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2288249)   #150
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bagnall
the guy on the right is Phil Bagnall the father of me Paul Bagnall who has just joined ten-tenths and i used to go with Gerry Taylor and was a "mechanics helper"
Welcome Paul.