Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Oct 2003, 12:39 (Ref:736616)   #1
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lister LMP

Whats happened to the Lister LMP project since it showered me in gravel back in June.
Will it ever see the light of day again, has it ever been entered for the Nov 1000km. or has it gone to the great sportscar graveyard in the sky with the Sinatra etc?
Old 1 Oct 2003, 12:50 (Ref:736631)   #2
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They will enter the LM1000K with the Storm LMP and have plans for LMES as well.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 12:54 (Ref:736638)   #3
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, and the drivers are Jamie Campbell-Walter, Nathan Kinch and Tom Coronel.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 12:59 (Ref:736646)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
They say "two cars" for LMES...
Old 1 Oct 2003, 13:15 (Ref:736662)   #5
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Is that as well as the Storm in the FIA GT's or instead of?
BTW would the storm be able to run in the LMES?
Old 1 Oct 2003, 13:22 (Ref:736672)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
They don't say that they intend to give up FIA-GT for the profit of LMES, so I understand "both".

For the Storm in LMES, I don't know...
Old 1 Oct 2003, 13:26 (Ref:736679)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would the Storms be homlogated for the LMES? I dont think so. So unless the ACO give a special dispensation like the FIA did to allow them to run Im afraid I dont think this will happen. Unless of course Laurence Pearce is planning on running the Storms in the GTP class. (joking)
Old 1 Oct 2003, 13:36 (Ref:736691)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lister's LMP participated in the LM-Bugatti Test Day, didn't they....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Oct 2003, 13:41 (Ref:736696)   #9
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Lister will contest both championships in 2004
Old 1 Oct 2003, 13:54 (Ref:736713)   #10
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Very good news, is there any chance of a Lister crossing the Atlantic for the ALM's next year?
Old 1 Oct 2003, 14:14 (Ref:736733)   #11
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Lister's LMP participated in the LM-Bugatti Test Day, didn't they....
They did indeed. But I think that the question is about the GT car...

In my idea, they have the LMPs for LMES and the GTs for FIA-GT championship...

Last edited by Fab; 1 Oct 2003 at 15:28.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 14:22 (Ref:736745)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree Fab, as I dont think the ACO will accomidate the Storm. Besides it makes more sense to run in FIA GT than both cars in the same series. I mean would Lister have enough crew members to run 4 cars? And 8 International level drivers? I dunno. But as there wont be any clashing events with FIA GT (we hope) this should be less of a problem for teams also, right? Sure theyd have to do more meetings, but they woudnt have to find extra drivers, and we dont know if they have enough people to run 4 cars at the same time..
Old 1 Oct 2003, 17:59 (Ref:736965)   #13
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The StormGT has I believe been ruled out of LM because of its age and number built.

As for team members, they are a small team when you put them up against the JMB Ferrari team, there are I think 10 full time personnel in the squad.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 02:10 (Ref:737372)   #14
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW, in recent article of Racecar Engineering, it was talking about Lister's suspension, it has pullrod front, with those pushrod-mounted coil-over in the rear, like one of those SCCA run-off car....
Old 2 Oct 2003, 17:59 (Ref:738311)   #15
AMT
Rookie

AMT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RacingManiac
BTW, in recent article of Racecar Engineering, it was talking about Lister's suspension, it has pullrod front, with those pushrod-mounted coil-over in the rear, like one of those SCCA run-off car....
Photo please - of the SCCA car, I mean (I know what the Lister looks like ...)

Andy
Old 2 Oct 2003, 18:34 (Ref:738350)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A passing acquaintance, Mr. T?

BTW, is this car able to be retrofitted into LMP1 specification?

I seem to remember that the design was convertible in one way or another, but now I can't remember if it was to 2003 GTP spec or to 2004 LMP1 spec...

Last edited by paul-collins; 2 Oct 2003 at 18:41.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 2 Oct 2003, 20:38 (Ref:738462)   #17
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Lister LMP

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
or has it gone to the great sportscar graveyard in the sky with the Sinatra etc?
I never knew Frank and the rest of the Rat Pack had run their own LMP!

I'm sure he did it his way though...

Last edited by Audi R8R; 2 Oct 2003 at 20:39.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 20:51 (Ref:738467)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember reading that the Lister was "convertible" to 2004 specs on these thread, but I never saw it in a confirmed news source....

Everything we have read concerning "changing" a 2003 car to 2004 scecs has said it would be very difficult at best, and not practical at all in reality....

Seeing how the Lister car was already designed and built before the 2004 specs were ever introduced, I would venture to guess "No...it is not convertible to 2004 specs" due to different front undertcarriage aero specs, longer overhangs on both ends, etc....

BUt the guy to comment on this is really MulsanneMike...but what I just wrote above is what he has been saying for months on many threads...

Maybe I'm wrong...but it would probably be more simple to build the car new than to "convert" it to 2004 specs.

Old 2 Oct 2003, 21:14 (Ref:738492)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
I remember reading that the Lister was "convertible" to 2004 specs on these thread, but I never saw it in a confirmed news source....<snip>
BUt the guy to comment on this is really MulsanneMike...but what I just wrote above is what he has been saying for months on many threads...
Actually, Tim, the user I was quoting (AMT) would know better than Mike. (Go to Mike's site, read up on the car, and think about the user name. Just a friendly hint. )
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 2 Oct 2003, 21:20 (Ref:738500)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
THE AMT??????

I guess HE would....probably more than anyone else on the planet...

After all, the creator himself should know best...

Old 2 Oct 2003, 22:45 (Ref:738594)   #21
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
When I talked with Thorby about the conversion of the Lister to SR1 spec ('04) and beyond, mostly it was centered around the move from open top to closed top (presuming that the closed top cars would get the nod). No one was sure what the final underbody aero. was going to consist of. Now that we know, I stand by the thought that it would be very difficult to do considering the location of all the hardpoints and the large change that has occured (via the '04 rules) at the rear.

Last edited by MulsanneMike; 2 Oct 2003 at 22:51.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 22:49 (Ref:738596)   #22
RacingManiac
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by AMT
Photo please - of the SCCA car, I mean (I know what the Lister looks like ...)

Andy
I think it was a C-sport racer.....I'll have to find a pic of it first...
Old 2 Oct 2003, 23:19 (Ref:738619)   #23
RacingManiac
Racer

Stohr's new DSR....its front uses this design...
Old 2 Oct 2003, 23:37 (Ref:738635)   #24
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MulsanneMike
When I talked with Thorby about the conversion of the Lister to SR1 spec ('04) and beyond, mostly it was centered around the move from open top to closed top (presuming that the closed top cars would get the nod).
Thorby of course has experience here - he did the work converting the Panoz GTR-1 to the Panoz LMP1. So perhaps he'd be keen to do this little conversion as well?

The tub should remain the same, except for perhaps cut-outs for the doors and a full hoop defining the roof. The engine would probably have to be raised slightly, and there would of course be the all-new floor and bodywork.

I expect the 2003-and-earlier cars will be competitive with the 2004-and-beyond cars, and will be able to compete with them unchanged until the end of 2005, so no rush now.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 16:18 (Ref:739540)   #25
AMT
Rookie

AMT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the photo RacingManiac. That's (nearly) it, as on the Lister, and as on the front of the Van Diemen Supersports 2000 I designed in '94 (as I mention in the Racecar Engineering piece). Don't much like the bending moment put into the pushrod by fixing the damper to the side of it though!

Re converting the Lister to '04 rules, I gave my views in another thread: Tim and Mike are right - it would be cheaper to redesign the tub and bodywork than try to "do a Panoz" in reverse. On the face of it, I would opt for a closed car, which has been my view since the World Council took the hard line on symmetrical rollover structures behind the cockpit. That was the real genesis of the '04 changes - the FIA World Council wanting to stop Prototypes looking too much like F1 cars - not the aero stability problems. To minimise the stability problems, the most effective way would have been to make them look MORE like F1, with less bodywork and less underbody area.

Regards

Andy