Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 May 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1613576)   #1
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pau GP Historique

Hi all,

I'll be there, hopefully - a compression test on my engine revealed pressures of 180, 179, 180 and 90. Gonna be a long weekend!!

I'm giving Nick Savage a co-drive again in my Giulietta SZ in Gentleman Drivers, and hopefully co-driving his GTA in the inaugural U2TC race.

Anyone else going?

Regards,

James W
Old 18 May 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1613693)   #2
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there in the 17, co-driven by Neil Davies. Looking forward to this (as every year) but especially since it appears we can get cheap insurance!

Are you doing the late race as well? Probabaly a bit too much for me (hope to be well into the Chablis by then)........
Old 18 May 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1613770)   #3
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Peter,

No, I must confess I briefly thought about the 'late race', but I think two races in a day is quite enough for me, at my fitness level!!

Especially when the race is described as being 'a very reasonable £310'.

I really must be hitting above my height, as I have a slightly different definition of 'reasonable'.

I suspect, since we have a late afternoon flight back on the Monday, that we, like you, will be working our way down the wine list by then!!

Regards,

James W

P.S. meant to take up the insurance offer, but fear I will be too late by tomorrow...!
Old 19 May 2006, 07:46 (Ref:1614013)   #4
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know the entry list for the two HGPCA races, any chance of sharing it?
Thanks
Old 19 May 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1614041)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=SZRacer]Especially when the race is described as being 'a very reasonable £310'.

I really must be hitting above my height, as I have a slightly different definition of 'reasonable'.
QUOTE]

My sentiments entirely James . . . but we'd rather do a few like that than a dozen banger races a year so keep punching !
Old 22 May 2006, 11:45 (Ref:1616203)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman
I'll be there in the 17, co-driven by Neil Davies. Looking forward to this (as every year) but especially since it appears we can get cheap insurance!

Are you doing the late race as well? Probabaly a bit too much for me (hope to be well into the Chablis by then)........
whats teh cheap insurance? If you are referring Hagerty are they doing a special deal for Pau as I have got them to quote several things for me and in each occassion my existing insurers, Egger Lawson (for competition) and Aon (for transit and storage) were better....

good luck - I have mixed feelings abt Pau but mught be tempted back next year in the tin tops
Old 22 May 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1616500)   #7
Peter Horsman
Racer

Yes. A deal from them for Masters' race competitors at 200 per race. Maybe available for other race series too, don't know.
Old 23 May 2006, 06:52 (Ref:1616819)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
for what cover though and does that include fire damage? For example Egger Lawson are £125 for £4000 cover but they dont inc fire - you have to have seperate cover for that
Old 23 May 2006, 22:55 (Ref:1617489)   #9
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
2006 entry lists here:

http://tinyurl.com/fozef

Regards,

James W
Old 29 May 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1622298)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

how did everyone get on? my 6 Hour co driver Brendan Roberts was out there in his GTA but havent heard yet if he did ok - it was really a shake down for him as he only bought it abuot a month ago so I dont think he was expecting any pots just to bring it hme in one piece
Old 29 May 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1622475)   #11
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
Hi Simon,

Just got back. Great weekend's racing, and superb weather!!

We had a good race in the Gentleman Drivers race, albeit we weren't exactly going to win it! Still, I was happy to set a faster time in my SZ than I did in Nick's GTA later on - shurely shome mishtake, although I feel Nick's GTA could go a lot faster with some tweaking.

The weekend was HOT, though. According to my thermometer, the temperature by the side of the track (albeit that being in a dip it's warmer than the average temperature), on Sunday afternoon was 40 degrees!! Add 4 layers of nomex, non-opening windows in Nick's GTA, and a one-hour race, and I nearly fainted on getting out of the car!

There was a high attrition rate in the U2TC race, down to the heat and there being some newly-prepared cars, rather bthan any accidents. The race was won by Jackie Oliver in the BMW1800, with a GTA second. Brendan went well in practice, but I think he may have had a problem in the race.

Gentleman Drivers was marred by a three car accident, unfortunately catching out Robert Barrie's Porsche, amongst others. This resulted in 8 laps behind the saftey car, but the rest of the race was fairly uneventful. The field was superb, with ten-tenths-er Peter Horsman coming second!

Gala dinner was OK, but a bit subdued, due to the sad death of the (extremely camp!) mayor last week.

Some photos to follow.

Regards,

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
how did everyone get on? my 6 Hour co driver Brendan Roberts was out there in his GTA but havent heard yet if he did ok - it was really a shake down for him as he only bought it abuot a month ago so I dont think he was expecting any pots just to bring it hme in one piece
Old 1 Jun 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1624446)   #12
Peter Horsman
Racer

Good to see that Autosport completely blanked Pau, one of the big historic race meetings of the year. Unfortunately, this week's was plastic-wrapped so unable to spot this before parting with cash......
Old 1 Jun 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1624522)   #13
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman
Good to see that Autosport completely blanked Pau, one of the big historic race meetings of the year. Unfortunately, this week's was plastic-wrapped so unable to spot this before parting with cash......
See page 96.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1624714)   #14
Peter Horsman
Racer

Erm, not sure that a report of how one team (Carlin Motorsport F3 team) fared actually counts as a report on the whole weekend.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 07:37 (Ref:1625163)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

wasnt Simon Hadfield racing? that normally ensures some coverage!!!!
Old 2 Jun 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1625292)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've contacted Autosport about this. The problem is that Historic racing events of this nature abroad, are actually covered (normally, anyway) by the National side of the magazine, as an extension to its National club events. I know that those responsible for producing that section of Autosport, are themselves very disappointed that they had neither the budget, nor an available contributor, to enable the event to be properly covered. They point out that last weekend was one of the busiest of the year for national club racing, as reference to the various reports will show. Basically, Autosport acknowledge, regret and apologise for the absence of a proper race report for Pau.
Old 3 Jun 2006, 23:34 (Ref:1626363)   #17
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At least they have a photographer for Croix
Old 5 Jun 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1627726)   #18
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with posting some of my in-car footage of the Gentleman Drivers race at Pau, from my viewpoint at the, er, rear of the grid....

It can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/zuyhc

Note that you will need a bradband connection, plus Quicktime compatability to view. This is the first chunk of several. if there is enough demand, i will post the rest, editing out the 8 laps behind the Safety Car! Hey, Jon Minshaw, if you're reading this, I can tell people I was right behind oyur E-Type for 8 laps!

Regards,

James W
Old 5 Jun 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1627742)   #19
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice video, James - it was very good of you to let that guy go after his spin! I was helping out at Pau with the Yellow "Ashurst" Elite in your class (and driving it yesterday at Brands)

I hope your early exit yesterday wasn't down to anything too serious - the engine's already out of the Elite to investigate a nasty rattle that developed on the last lap.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1627752)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
James, that is really excellent, and I suggest that you are 'true' gentleman racer!
Old 5 Jun 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1627942)   #21
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
Thanks for the nice comments, guys!

Whilst I'd like to take full credit for being a 'Gentleman racer', the fact of the matter was that there was not quite enough space to squeeze past him, and, how can I put this, I didn't exactly 'trust' the driving of the chap in the Ferrari.My feeling was confirmed when he spun at the next bend, almost completely blocking my path again....!

The Alfa's engine had not felt quite right at the end of Snetterton, and was way down on power in practice at Brands. I'm slow but not THAT slow! Still, i went ahead with the race, but it appears I have the beginnings of a Head gasket failure. Oh, well, it lasted through Pau, which was hard going for an engine by any standards!

Saw the Ashurst Elite yesterday - very nice car (I have a soft spot for Elites, even if they and SZs were rivals in period, but the Elites now completely outclass us!), but what's with all these yellow Elites (the Beale's car as well)?!

Anyway, my next GD outing is not until Val de Vienne, then Paul Ricard, baby permitting (although am at Dijon co-driving at GTA in U2TC).

All the best,

James W
Old 6 Jun 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1628362)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
excellent James . . .I'm jealous ! Pau was possible last year, but a race too much, maybe in a few years when the boys a bit bigger we'll make it down there