Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 15 Aug 2012, 02:32 (Ref:3120059)   #26
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I think it only fair to say that I am still impressed with my Grand Cherokee, even though it is five years old now. Comparing it to the competition, I need to pay at least another £20k just to get what I get as standard on my car.

Agreed they are built to a price but I can't complain. I also drive a Wrangler Sport out here in Doha. Again, it's five years old, 40k kms on the clock and all I've done is replace the tyres! Like the car in the UK it does exactly what it says on the tin.

So if it becomes Fiat, I hope they maintain the ethos of providing value for money.
I never thought much of Jeep, but I have used them off road a lot in recent years and they have impressed me with their abilities. Some of the interiors and other bits, especially in the last decade have not been very impressive, but certainly they have their upside and usually the price is competitive.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 03:26 (Ref:3120072)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well,The Grand Cherokee has full leather interior, climate control, extremely good sound system, dvd, proximity sensors etc. Can't fault it. The Wrangler is pretty basic but you can drive it for 100kms or more in a sitting and it goes on to the beaches etc. And when the weather cools down you can take the roof off! They sell pretty well over here, many ex pats drive them.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 11:37 (Ref:3120210)   #28
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
The Shrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
So if it becomes Fiat, I hope they maintain the ethos of providing value for money.
I work inside the Fiat group (not the car side of things). I would be supprised if you get the same value for money in the future.

As sad as it is the one thing the Fiat group are interested in is saving money. Quality never enters into it i have this running batttle with these crazy Italians every single day.

Here is how it works

Build a product.
Product is fairly good.
Product gets a good name.
Try to cut cost.
Get a cheaper parts supplier.
Cheap part is rubbish and fails.
The problem builds pretend nothing is wrong.
Leave it a few more years.
Actually listern to staff in the UK recognise but never admit they have a problem.
Make up a rubbish story along the lines of were sorting it out.
Leave a few more years.
Problem product is now out of warranty not Fiat problem.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 13:06 (Ref:3120237)   #29
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shrew View Post
Quality never enters into it
After three Alfas I can vouch for that! "Customer service" is another concept which doesn't appear to be translatable into Italian.
Old 16 Aug 2012, 13:29 (Ref:3120712)   #30
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
After three Alfas I can vouch for that! "Customer service" is another concept which doesn't appear to be translatable into Italian.
Thats kinda correct.

Customer service certainly does not translate into Italian actually nothing does. Italians only do what Italians think is correct no matter how much you proove them wrong.

Its still the same mentality now as in the late 70's - 80's when they bought loads of cheap cack metal to build cars with. A few years down the line all that was left of the car was the tyres and a pile of rust Anything to save a few quid. You would think they would have learnt the lesson by now.

Its a very sad situation because the group has what could be some very good products to offer. They just need to pay a bit more attention to detail.

Actually im supprised they have bought more shares. We keep getting told at work the company is on its backside. Some of the plants have been on shutdown and short weeks etc over the last few years, lots of people made redundant, no money for overtime and we havnt had a pay rise / cost of living rise for 7 years now.
Old 16 Aug 2012, 15:08 (Ref:3120738)   #31
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shrew View Post
Its a very sad situation because the group has what could be some very good products to offer. They just need to pay a bit more attention to detail.
If Alfa built the car they think they are building I'd consider another; they need to stop passing off crap quality as "character".
Old 18 Aug 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3121339)   #32
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to say the latest Fiats and Alfas are a huge improvement on what has gone before. Although admittedly the starting point was pretty low.

Hopefully, in the case of cars like the Fiat 500 and new Panda, that isn't simply because they're too new to have gone through the cost cutting phase yet.
Old 20 Aug 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3122199)   #33
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I have to say the latest Fiats and Alfas are a huge improvement on what has gone before. Although admittedly the starting point was pretty low.

Hopefully, in the case of cars like the Fiat 500 and new Panda, that isn't simply because they're too new to have gone through the cost cutting phase yet.
Yes i have to agree they are a lot better. Ive not driven any of the smaller cars all our company cars are the bigger end of the scale. However the people who have bought them at work seem ( we get discount ) seem happy with them. Although the people who buy them only have them for a year or so.

Also another factor that could make the quality a bit better is they have got rid of a lot of staff in the plants presumably a lot of the poor workers have gone. Also some of the products are built to order now not sure if that applies on the car side of things though.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3123525)   #34
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to this, it seems like Marchionne is holding back the next Fiat Punto. Is this a shift that going to make Fiat line up based exclusively on the 500? It's a shame because I think the Punto would have a chance to go against the Fiesta and Sonic in the US market.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 13:59 (Ref:3123568)   #35
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
According to this, it seems like Marchionne is holding back the next Fiat Punto. Is this a shift that going to make Fiat line up based exclusively on the 500? It's a shame because I think the Punto would have a chance to go against the Fiesta and Sonic in the US market.
Ah, another Marchionne announcement. Maybe he should just shut up & get on with the business of running the company rather than talking about it. Seems like comes up with a new five-year plan every three months!

As Abraham Lincoln is alleged to have said, “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”
Old 7 Sep 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3132695)   #36
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
How to haggle with $6 Billion for the last 38.2% of Chrysler.

From the sounds of things it looks like it will happen but when and for how much is the question.
If I'm not mistaken, Fiat's goal is to buy VEBA's share by 2014 and complete the structural merger by 2015. So yes, it's just a matter of time.

Funny thing is, that in some press articles in here Fiat 500 is called "Chrysler Fiat 500" Since the latter is the majority owner of the former, I'd rather call all Chryslers "Fiat Chryslers" ...
Old 26 May 2013, 16:37 (Ref:3253518)   #37
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where things are now and how the merger could work.

Looks like the Headquarters issue is still on of the big issues. If they stay in Italy then that's the Italian unions happy, but could raise fears about a repeat of Chrysler's days with Daimler. On the other hand moving to the US would please the US unions but it wouldn't help Italy.

Catch 22.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 23:18 (Ref:3356888)   #38
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
And it's done!

Fiat now owns 100% of Chrysler.
Old 16 Nov 2019, 12:53 (Ref:3940922)   #39
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And now, in 2019, FCA is discussing with PSA from France(also owner of Opel/Vauxhall)for a merger that will make them 4th world biggest car brand

I wanted to create the thread of the merger, but this one is not bad in fact
Old 16 Nov 2019, 19:31 (Ref:3940963)   #40
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
How is Opel doing under new owner PSA?
Old 16 Nov 2019, 22:58 (Ref:3941004)   #41
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
How is Opel doing under new owner PSA?
As a whole, PSA's performance is on an upward trend.

It would be impossible to judge Opel in isolation now.