Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Nov 2020, 16:07 (Ref:4016377)   #351
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
I think we’ll see some in private hands is what they are eluding too
isn't one going to the Turkington family collection ?

Dick Bennets did a mistake , if Colin wins this year it's same car he used in 2019 , if it was a different one Dick could have sold 2 of them to the Turkingtons ...
Old 13 Nov 2020, 16:07 (Ref:4016378)   #352
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
But who would take them? They’re good cars, but I can’t see anyone else taking them
Old 13 Nov 2020, 16:10 (Ref:4016379)   #353
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe Team Parker replacing its aging 125
Old 13 Nov 2020, 16:11 (Ref:4016380)   #354
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Team Parker running a new car, however it might not necessarily be the Beemer. They might go a different route
Old 13 Nov 2020, 16:40 (Ref:4016384)   #355
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
But who would take them? They’re good cars, but I can’t see anyone else taking them
Literally any team that can afford it, they're the best cars on the grid.

According to Autosport, Shaun says it's about a 50/50 chance that AmD will have new cars next year. Though likely that'll be FK8s, BMWs, or Fords rather than a complete new model.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 08:05 (Ref:4016452)   #356
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love to see MB do a technical tie up with Speedworks and build a Factory Suzuki Swace, it's 99% a Toyota Corolla anyway.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 19:41 (Ref:4016661)   #357
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I'd love to see MB do a technical tie up with Speedworks and build a Factory Suzuki Swace, it's 99% a Toyota Corolla anyway.
I had to Google that one... which is unusual for me. They've only brought the estate to the UK market and with a starting price of £27.5K. I suspect they've sold a rather small amount of these at that price. Would reckon most folk will be in a Golf estate for a chunk less money.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 22:19 (Ref:4016709)   #358
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I had to Google that one... which is unusual for me. They've only brought the estate to the UK market and with a starting price of £27.5K. I suspect they've sold a rather small amount of these at that price. Would reckon most folk will be in a Golf estate for a chunk less money.
Or even just take the entry level Corolla Estate for £2k less?
Old 16 Nov 2020, 09:34 (Ref:4017188)   #359
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why, but I have a feeling that MB could appear with 2 Corollas - Toyota are really pushing the GR brand currently with the launch of the new Yaris. MB is a smart man, if Toyota want to promote the brand then having more cars on the grid is a good way of doing that. Tingram has proved it is a quick car, they will also have a leg up on the new hybrid gubbins for 2022.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 14:44 (Ref:4017269)   #360
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Time again for my ridiculously long and extremely improbable predictions / hopes for 2021.

WSR – I assume WSR will run the 3rd BMW again next year, although I suppose there is always the option of selling it to another team. Hopefully Jordan is gone, so it looks like there is a very attractive seat open. Of the current grid, Chilton is one of the few who I think would have the talent and budget; they’d need someone on Turkington’s level rather than Oliphant’s. I would guess Turkington will stay on, Oliphant did a decent enough job but nothing spectacular (though P6 in the championship is very creditable) and I think he’ll stay (budget permitting.)

Dynamics – Cammish we know had a 2-year deal so will be back. They would’ve run a third car for Shedden this year had the TBL been available, so nothing to say they won’t have 3 Civics this year. Matt Neal was fairly anonymous this year so reckon it probably is time for him to step back. Saying that I don’t think Henry has the experience yet, maybe if he was in the 3rd car. Of course, I’d love to see Cook move up (not sure he and Neal are too friendly after Croft!), Chilton probably another candidate, Goff would be amazing but I’m sure outside his budget sadly. Shedden has been very quiet this year so not fully convinced he’d be back, but apparently it nearly happened this year.

Laser Tools – Well, I was the first to say the Infiniti was a mistake so shows how accurate my predictions usually are! Moffat was completely overshadowed by Ash, must’ve been a tough year mentally for him but I’m sure he’ll be back (for obvious reasons!) Didn’t think Ash was that committed to the BTCC after last year but after his interviews yesterday it sounds like he’s keen to be back.

Speedworks – Definitely an Ingram supporter so he better be back and win the championship next year! Certainly hope they’ll have a 2nd Corolla, I know they have the hybrid one which makes me think sadly they’ll use that as a second car for 2022 rather than building another one. But having someone like Goff (budget!), Bushell, Thompson, Cook etc. alongside Tom would be amazing.

Motorbase – Assuming they stay at 3 cars (why not, apart from money of course!) I would think Butcher and Jackson are fairly safe. Hopefully they attract a few sponsors at replace Neate, would be nice to see a rookie from MINIs or similar step up here.

BTC – Very, very disappointing year for whatever reason. Cook and Chilton I would think would be looking at options elsewhere as they should be championship contenders (Tom probably regrets leaving Motorbase now!). Crees I suppose will stay, though really not his biggest fan. Jack Goff’s name comes to me again, but I think I’m just desperate to see him leave HARD. Reckon one of either Cook or Chilton will stay, joined by Crees and a rookie, assuming they stay at 3 cars.

AmD / MB – We know Hill is confirmed (good news) and there’s about a 50% chance of a car switch, with BMWs, Hondas or Fords most likely, though I’d be surprised if WSR started selling off ‘customer’ cars. Osborne had a great start to the season but was nowhere after that, lovely guy but probably one of the drivers who will leave, though looks to have a lot of money behind him. Again, Jack Goff, Thompson, Bushell, all drivers I’d love to see in a great seat like this. Maybe Smiley, Proctor, or a rookie alongside Hill.

Excerl8 / TPR – 4 Hyundais confirmed, hopefully a good winter testing program will move them up further up the top 10 next year. Nathan Harrison and Dan Zelos finished 1-2 in the MINIs for Excerl8 (Zelos is also their development driver) so think they’d both be very strong candidates. I reckon Thompson will stay but personally hope he moves up to a more proven drive. Think Proctor is more likely to be back for Hyundai than Smiley.

Ciceley – Two new cars (hopefully 2, think these will be new builds rather than ‘customer cars’) confirmed and must be Adam Morgan too. Butel kept his nose clean but was quite off the pace, would be a good place for a rookie to come up or potentially my vain hopes for Goff or Thompson… Not sure if Rowbottom would come back or maybe with another team.

PMR – Plato confirmed, not so bothered about that personally but would love to see Mat Jackson here again. None of the rookie drivers they fielded this year did anything noteworthy so would guess Mat has the seat if he has the money. Otherwise, rookie, Jack or Bobby (detect a theme?) Bushell didn’t really get the results he deserved, hope he gets a full season here or otherwise.

Parker – I think he owns the car, and showed a few flashes of speed this year, but if Parker wants to do anything serious in the BTCC then I don’t think it’s going to happen with Jelley. With the 1-series getting on a bit too, I can see Parker dropping out unfortunately, hopefully being replaced by another outfit snapping up the Mercs or Audis or something.

HARD – Oh dear. Thank the lord the CCs are out, fingers crossed the Cupras are built well because they’re just a laughingstock at the moment. I reckon 2-3 Cupras + Boardley in the BMW, but I can’t see him doing all that much better than this year sadly. Jack Goff seems to be the driver in all their social media posts which sadly suggests he’s keen to stay on and develop the new car, of course you know my thoughts on this already! No idea what they’ll do driver wise, hard to shake off the idea that anyone here is being completely wasted, so hopefully they’ll have a much more positive 2021.
Nic Hamilton, again nothing wrong with the guy but I think it’s pretty clear that he’s not a BTCC driver, and would be pretty underwhelming to see him back again.

Rookies & Returnees – Nathan Harrison, Dan Zelos, Ant-Whorton Eales, Max Coates I’d think are some quite likely names to ‘graduate’ from MINIs. Bushell needs a full season. Would be great to see Onslow-Cole back again permanently but can’t see him giving up GTs. Gornall and Rivett I hope are back too. Would Tordoff come back?

Regulations – Didn’t miss the option tyre at all this year so hope it doesn’t come back. In my opinion I prefer the current qualifying format rather than the new one trialled, watching just 10 cars wasn’t quite as exciting. Ballast probably needs sticking up a little bit, maybe back to 75kg. If it was down to me I would scrap the option tyre and ballast, reverse the top 5 for the R2 grid and the top 10 for R3.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 19:12 (Ref:4017314)   #361
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I don't know why, but I have a feeling that MB could appear with 2 Corollas - Toyota are really pushing the GR brand currently with the launch of the new Yaris. MB is a smart man, if Toyota want to promote the brand then having more cars on the grid is a good way of doing that. Tingram has proved it is a quick car, they will also have a leg up on the new hybrid gubbins for 2022.
Also I do wonder WHEN (not if) Dynamics will go hunting for a new manufacturer partner. I know the FK8 can be run for years yet, but I think the Neale's are forward thinking.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 21:46 (Ref:4017332)   #362
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Also I do wonder WHEN (not if) Dynamics will go hunting for a new manufacturer partner. I know the FK8 can be run for years yet, but I think the Neale's are forward thinking.
I would try Citroen and the new C4 with a dealer team type approach. Car looks mega and good base for a BTCC car.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 16 Nov 2020, 22:08 (Ref:4017335)   #363
Pringles
Rookie

Pringles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I would try Citroen and the new C4 with a dealer team type approach. Car looks mega and good base for a BTCC car.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Yet another stupid looking compact SUV type car IMO.

I wonder what will happen in the long term for the BTCC car options, given car makers are dropping suitable cars for BTCC in favour of everything being a bloody SUV on stilts, not to mention the amount of idiots buying them in droves and droves.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 22:18 (Ref:4017336)   #364
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles View Post

I wonder what will happen in the long term for the BTCC car options, given car makers are dropping suitable cars for BTCC in favour of everything being a bloody SUV on stilts, not to mention the amount of idiots buying them in droves and droves.
Hello, Qashqai driver here. 👋
Old 16 Nov 2020, 22:22 (Ref:4017338)   #365
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Its becoming an environmental problem as well. CO2 output from vehicles is going up even though engines are getting more efficient, all because people are buying SUVs they don't need. This in turn means more weight to drag around and more fuel used.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 22:41 (Ref:4017342)   #366
Pringles
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Hello, Qashqai driver here.
Sorry i just don't see the point or the appeal. They drive like a van and handle like dog poo. And it's always oh it's a family car and great if you have kids.

What do they do that a decent size saloon or estate car couldn't do?

Not to mention the amount of people driving them that can't work out the size of their vehicle or drive like they are driving a tank as they feel indestructible in them?

It is just a case mostly of people buying into a stupid craze that isn't going to end anytime soon.

But back to my original point where does the Btcc go for cars once marques have dropped all suitable cars that are not SUV's? A lowered SUV model? That's kind of defeats the whole point of the car!

I'm still hoping that one day the tide will turn and we get some decent saloons and hatches and estates being made in droves again.

Sorry but of a rant I know and some generalisations.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 22:51 (Ref:4017344)   #367
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really can't see all marques dropping everything that's not a SUV from their range.
Pick any manufacturer on the grid today, and look at the range of models they are committed to beyond 2025. I'd be surprised if you can name a single one who doesn't have a car that isn't eligible for the BTCC going forward.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 22:59 (Ref:4017348)   #368
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I really can't see all marques dropping everything that's not a SUV from their range.
Pick any manufacturer on the grid today, and look at the range of models they are committed to beyond 2025. I'd be surprised if you can name a single one who doesn't have a car that isn't eligible for the BTCC going forward.
Two straight away.. MG and Subaru
Old 16 Nov 2020, 23:02 (Ref:4017350)   #369
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Two straight away.. MG and Subaru
What's Nissan selling that isn't a Micra?
Old 16 Nov 2020, 23:05 (Ref:4017351)   #370
Pringles
Rookie

Quote:

At the moment yes I agree there are few that don't have an eligible model. But mid size hatches and saloon and estate cars sales are in decline and only generally bought as fleet vehicles, at low profit margins. Its mostly either small hatchbacks or a multitude of types of SUV''s.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 23:08 (Ref:4017352)   #371
Pringles
Rookie

Citroen have the C3 again one model that would probably be suitable.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 23:14 (Ref:4017354)   #372
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Infiniti.

Honda, other than electric?

Toyota (ICE)?
Old 16 Nov 2020, 23:16 (Ref:4017357)   #373
Pringles
Rookie

Skoda has the Scala and Octavia admittedly, Peugeot and Vauxhall have a few suitable models currently admittedly.

Honda have the Civic and that's it.

The only marques that are still offering a lot of types or body styles are the multi groups like VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat, PSA and Vauxhall etc. And that is mostly down to being built on the same platforms and mostly using the same parts bins.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 23:25 (Ref:4017360)   #374
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
The only marques that are still offering a lot of types or body styles are the multi groups like VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat, PSA and Vauxhall etc. And that is mostly down to being built on the same platforms and mostly using the same parts bins.
On the contrary, the marque with the widest range of all is Mercedes.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 23:32 (Ref:4017361)   #375
Pringles
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
On the contrary, the marque with the widest range of all is Mercedes.
One of the few granted I'll give you that.